Rocky Marciano VS Mike Tyson. - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Reply
Thread Navigation

#1
Old 07-23-2005, 07:39 PM
EXIGE
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 11,998
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21509 EXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 213,129.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 213,129.00
Default Rocky Marciano VS Mike Tyson.

Just had a massive discussion with a friend of mine about this, and he reckons that Rocky would win against Mike Tyson in a modern day fight.

Now take into consideration that Rocky would be fighting in the same condition he was in, in his prime, and the same with Tyson. Now tell me who would win, and i will tell you who and why i think one of them would win after.

P.s Im guessing this thread has come up before, sorry but i need an answer cos this is buggin me.
Reply With Quote
EXIGE is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#2
Old 07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
uncle_rico
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 98
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 12 uncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 15,957.77
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,957.77
Default

marciano via ko, no doubt.
it'd be a bloody mess of a fight, but i can't see
tyson winning that fight.

if the smaller heavyweights of years past are gonna struggle,
it would be against taller guys like foreman or holyfield who can sit back and extend their reach and power.
tyson was what? 220lbs in his prime? but, he was only
5'11 or so, so he'd have to be in the pocket with someone who actually fights back.

tyson doesnt have the heart to beat marciano.

as a matter of fact, i think a bunch of the old heavies
would beat tyson's ass.

tyson has won exactly zero tough fights.
every fight he's had, he's either dominated, or, when the
other guy actually fought back, tyson got his ass kicked.
so, i say marciano whips his ass.

as for the size difference, it's misleading.
this gets brought up alot. people talk about tyson, tua, etc...
but look at other sports. look how much power pitchers generate
to throw a 95+ mph fastball, they aren't musclebound.
billy wagner for the phillies throws 99mph consistently, he's 5'9
180lbs!

my point is, weight doesnt mean power.
primo carnerna was a 6'6 260 bum.
jameel mcline 6'7 270 and can't break a pane of glass with his
punches.
Reply With Quote
uncle_rico is offline
#3
Old 07-23-2005, 08:57 PM
EXIGE
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 11,998
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21509 EXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond reputeEXIGE has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 213,129.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 213,129.00
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_rico
marciano via ko, no doubt.
it'd be a bloody mess of a fight, but i can't see
tyson winning that fight.

if the smaller heavyweights of years past are gonna struggle,
it would be against taller guys like foreman or holyfield who can sit back and extend their reach and power.
tyson was what? 220lbs in his prime? but, he was only
5'11 or so, so he'd have to be in the pocket with someone who actually fights back.

tyson doesnt have the heart to beat marciano.

as a matter of fact, i think a bunch of the old heavies
would beat tyson's ass.

tyson has won exactly zero tough fights.
every fight he's had, he's either dominated, or, when the
other guy actually fought back, tyson got his ass kicked.
so, i say marciano whips his ass.

as for the size difference, it's misleading.
this gets brought up alot. people talk about tyson, tua, etc...
but look at other sports. look how much power pitchers generate
to throw a 95+ mph fastball, they aren't musclebound.
billy wagner for the phillies throws 99mph consistently, he's 5'9
180lbs!

my point is, weight doesnt mean power.
primo carnerna was a 6'6 260 bum.
jameel mcline 6'7 270 and can't break a pane of glass with his
punches.
You make some good points but i simply have to disagree, simply cos the type of training either received.

I mean you look at modern day, the nutrionalists and all that, then you look at what resources Rocky had available to him. Simple Rocky would not be able to keep up with the requirememnts of a modern day boxer like Tyson with all his power, far exceeding that of Rocky's and also lets not forget that Rocky's chin was only tested by the men he fought. Tyson's chin has been tested by the likes of some of the heaviest hitters the world has ever seen.

Sorry but Tyson by late KO/TKO in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
EXIGE is offline
#4
Old 07-23-2005, 09:21 PM
uncle_rico
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 98
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 12 uncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 15,957.77
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,957.77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXig3
You make some good points but i simply have to disagree, simply cos the type of training either received.

I mean you look at modern day, the nutrionalists and all that, then you look at what resources Rocky had available to him. Simple Rocky would not be able to keep up with the requirememnts of a modern day boxer like Tyson with all his power, far exceeding that of Rocky's and also lets not forget that Rocky's chin was only tested by the men he fought. Tyson's chin has been tested by the likes of some of the heaviest hitters the world has ever seen.

Sorry but Tyson by late KO/TKO in my opinion.
fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote
uncle_rico is offline
#5
Old 07-23-2005, 10:21 PM
kapersky
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 843
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 25 kapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond reputekapersky has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 31,119.08
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 31,119.08
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXig3
You make some good points but i simply have to disagree, simply cos the type of training either received.

I mean you look at modern day, the nutrionalists and all that, then you look at what resources Rocky had available to him. Simple Rocky would not be able to keep up with the requirememnts of a modern day boxer like Tyson with all his power, far exceeding that of Rocky's and also lets not forget that Rocky's chin was only tested by the men he fought. Tyson's chin has been tested by the likes of some of the heaviest hitters the world has ever seen.

Sorry but Tyson by late KO/TKO in my opinion.
yeah i agree, its different era and different strategic,training etc. tysons prime is not when he fough bruno or douglas that tyson would be ko by any top 30 i guess just to slow and dumb. guess because all medication he had he just looks ****ed up after rooney. tyson is to big and fast. noway rocky could touch tyson just face all please. and again its different era we cant compare like this cause noone really know the answear.
Reply With Quote
kapersky is offline
#6
Old 07-24-2005, 01:25 AM
FistoftheDallasStar
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Arlington,TX
Posts: 1,012
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15 FistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 36,827.20
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 36,827.20
thanks for the link! - chiguy91 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Mr._Pink 
Default

Prime Tyson vs prime Marciano? Tyson would definately win by an early KO. Tyson was faster and hit harder than Rocky.... come on now. Just because Tyson is hated by many and is the poster boy "bad guy" you can't think Marciano would stand a chance. Look at the fight clips back to back. Marciano vs. Walcott and Tyson vs Marvis Frazier. (Just trying to pick someone that was Rocky's height). The speed and the power difference is so apparent.
Reply With Quote
FistoftheDallasStar is offline
#7
Old 07-24-2005, 06:25 AM
Boxclever
Queen of The Limey Lounge
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The North
Posts: 4,361
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 30 Boxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond reputeBoxclever has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 134,337.04
Bank: 58,276.93
Total Points: 192,613.97
Default

How would Marciano respond if Tyson bit his ear, it needs to be considered.
Reply With Quote
Boxclever is offline
#8
Old 07-24-2005, 09:19 AM
uncle_rico
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 98
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 12 uncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 15,957.77
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,957.77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistoftheDallasStar
Prime Tyson vs prime Marciano? Tyson would definately win by an early KO. Tyson was faster and hit harder than Rocky.... come on now. Just because Tyson is hated by many and is the poster boy "bad guy" you can't think Marciano would stand a chance. Look at the fight clips back to back. Marciano vs. Walcott and Tyson vs Marvis Frazier. (Just trying to pick someone that was Rocky's height). The speed and the power difference is so apparent.
here's the thing tho, the technology back then was soooo different.
so, it's hard to gauge speed and strength cuz the tv's and camera's sucked.
think about it. if you look at any of those old fights, it's not like
now with the carmera shots right in the fighters faces so you can see
every little cut and the sweat on their faces.
look at the old fights, the camera wasn't close enough to see
anything.
so, unless you're old enough to have seen those fights live or
had someone in your familiy see those fights and tell you about
them, it's very easy to say the old guys sucked cause the film
on them did them no justice.

so, i know it seems like tyson is this hard hittin beast, and he was, but
i don't think you can take anything away from marciano.

again, like in baseball, now you can see every pitch and how hard it is.
they show you the results from the radar after every pitch.
well, think about all-time great pitchers like bob gibson who threw absolute gas. there was no gun back then, so no one knows how hard he really threw, but not one person would dare to see there's many pitchers today that can throw harder, cuz there are plenty of people who've seen him pitch live and todays pitchers live, and they can say gibson threw as hard as anyone else. know what i mean?

it really is hard to compare fighters in differnt eras.
Without a doubt in all sports, today's athletes are bigger and stronger; i just don't think that it means they're always better. most times, yes, but not always.
Reply With Quote
uncle_rico is offline
#9
Old 07-24-2005, 03:28 PM
uncle_rico
Up and Comer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 98
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 12 uncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond reputeuncle_rico has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 15,957.77
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,957.77
Default

also wanted to add, marciano did beat joe louis.

i know it's foolish apply circular logic to boxing
(ie, fighter "a" beats fighter "b" and fighter beat
has beaten fighter "c", you can assume fighter "a"
would be fighter "c")
but i think it applies here.

here's what i mean.
maricano's size is talked about so much, but people forget
joe louis regularly fought at or near 215. so, my point is
if marciano can beat a 215lbs fighter of joe louis' caliber
he can beat the 225lbs guys of today.
Reply With Quote
uncle_rico is offline
#10
Old 07-24-2005, 04:00 PM
M26
Interim Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 798
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13 M26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 15,967.78
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,967.78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_rico
also wanted to add, marciano did beat joe louis.

i know it's foolish apply circular logic to boxing
(ie, fighter "a" beats fighter "b" and fighter beat
has beaten fighter "c", you can assume fighter "a"
would be fighter "c")
but i think it applies here.

here's what i mean.
maricano's size is talked about so much, but people forget
joe louis regularly fought at or near 215. so, my point is
if marciano can beat a 215lbs fighter of joe louis' caliber
he can beat the 225lbs guys of today.

I agree with you in that the fighters of today are not superior to the fighters of yesterday just because they are bigger. Further, I am a huge Marciano fan, and given Tysons lack of heart and stamina, a Marciano win is not totally unlikely. How ever, a prime Tyson from 1987 with all his speed and power would be the favorite in this match up. Given the fact that Marciano was kind of a "slow starter", I can see Tyson forcing the ref to stop the fight early.

Of course, if Marciano survives the first couple of rounds, he would destroy Tyson.

The fact that Marciano defeated Joe Louis is not a very solid argument. Granted, Louis was still a good fighter at the time he fought Marciano, with eight straight wins prior to the fight, but he was nowhere near his prime. He was a 37-year-old unmotivated has-been, forced to fight because of financial difficulties. The Joe Louis of 1951 was not a force to be reckoned with. So Marciano never did beat a "fighter of Joe Louis' caliber". He fought the shadow of Joe Louis and it took him close to eight rounds to finish him off.
Reply With Quote
M26 is offline
Reply

Share This With Friends

User Tag List

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Cookie Policy - Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2016 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.