Fighters who's careers were cut short and are over rated, under rated - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 PM #1
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,489,367,870,423,731,200.00
Total Points: 8,489,367,870,423,757,824.00
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship & for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Default Fighters who's careers were cut short and are over rated, under rated

I've been seeing a lot of print for Gerald McClellan lately and how he was an all time puncher and would have been an all time great had his career not been tragically cut short. I personally think it is the circumstances of his tragedy and currant state that compel some on here to over rate him. He was certainly a good fighter and heavy handed but because of his lack of prime top comp I simply can't make him out to be more than he was....a good heavy handed fighter.

Young Stribling was also a heavy handed fighter who's career was cut short at age 28 by a motorcycle accident. Like McClellan, Stribling had a lot of ko's against ham and egger's. The difference being he also had many victories over top fighters of the day and proved himself competitive with the elite. It's unfortunate but Stribling really isn't known by many of todays new fans who would just automatically say a McClellan would have been great. Can he even compare to a fighter who was 256-16-14 (128)?

Than there is Salvador Sanchez who was killed at age 23. Of these 3 fighters Sanchez is clearly the best. How much different would his legacy be today though had he lived but his boxing career fizzled out much the way Wilfred Benitez's career did? Many rank him as one of the greatest fighters ever and a strong argument can be made for that based on his competition. Would that be different today had he lived and the scenario I laid out happened?
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-17-2010, 12:56 AM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 219,938.87
Great job on my assignment. Here's another book for your collection. - BattlingNelson 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
I've been seeing a lot of print for Gerald McClellan lately and how he was an all time puncher and would have been an all time great had his career not been tragically cut short. I personally think it is the circumstances of his tragedy and currant state that compel some on here to over rate him. He was certainly a good fighter and heavy handed but because of his lack of prime top comp I simply can't make him out to be more than he was....a good heavy handed fighter.

Young Stribling was also a heavy handed fighter who's career was cut short at age 28 by a motorcycle accident. Like McClellan, Stribling had a lot of ko's against ham and egger's. The difference being he also had many victories over top fighters of the day and proved himself competitive with the elite. It's unfortunate but Stribling really isn't known by many of todays new fans who would just automatically say a McClellan would have been great. Can he even compare to a fighter who was 256-16-14 (128)?

Than there is Salvador Sanchez who was killed at age 23. Of these 3 fighters Sanchez is clearly the best. How much different would his legacy be today though had he lived but his boxing career fizzled out much the way Wilfred Benitez's career did? Many rank him as one of the greatest fighters ever and a strong argument can be made for that based on his competition. Would that be different today had he lived and the scenario I laid out happened?
Had Sanchez lived he would eventually of fought Chavez and in my opinion, would have defeated him, making him the undisputed greatest Mexican fighter of all time. He would have rematched with Nelson and Gomez, and would have spanked a young Roger Mayweather, as well as beating Rocky Lockridge. Sanchez legacy would have increased tremendously had he not died so young. I think Ike Ibeaubuchi and Stanley Ketchel would also have increased their legacies had their careers not been cut short as well.
1SILVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 AM #3
Student of the game

paulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond reputepaulsinghnl has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 228,456.31
Total Points: 282,629.94

if ur talking about missed opportunities.. i heard u can look in Don King's closet too.. plenty of great fighters there that never made it, Tim Witherspoon?

the one i think was cut short and really sucks (because it's his own fault, laziness) is Riddick "Big Daddy" Bowe. he could've been the greatest according to Eddie Futch. but the fights with Golota.. took too much damage in his career.. could've been so much more i think.
paulsinghnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:06 AM #4
Dallas Cowboys

JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SILVA View Post
Had Sanchez lived he would eventually of fought Chavez and in my opinion, would have defeated him, making him the undisputed greatest Mexican fighter of all time. He would have rematched with Nelson and Gomez, and would have spanked a young Roger Mayweather, as well as beating Rocky Lockridge. Sanchez legacy would have increased tremendously had he not died so young. I think Ike Ibeaubuchi and Stanley Ketchel would also have increased their legacies had their careers not been cut short as well.

While a case can be made for Ketchel (though I've read he had begun sliding before his death) and you've made a good one for Sanchez, I totally disagree about Ibeabuchi. VERY overrated in my opinion. Much like McClellan his accomplishments have been blown up and out of proportion. He had two good wins over fighters who were good, but limited. No telling how he would have done when faced with a bigger fighter like Lewis or a fighter like Holyfield. we know by his life that he wasn'y very good at dealing with adversity.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 AM #5
Dallas Cowboys

To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsinghnl View Post
if ur talking about missed opportunities.. i heard u can look in Don King's closet too.. plenty of great fighters there that never made it, Tim Witherspoon?

the one i think was cut short and really sucks (because it's his own fault, laziness) is Riddick "Big Daddy" Bowe. he could've been the greatest according to Eddie Futch. but the fights with Golota.. took too much damage in his career.. could've been so much more i think.
Im not talking about missed opportunities my man, but careers cut short before a fighter may have reached his potential. And while I agree to an extent about Bowe, he doesn't fit into this thread.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 185,136,817.29
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsinghnl View Post

Eddie Futch said, "Bowe was a lost cause" before the 2 Golota fights.
sonnyboyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 185,136,817.29
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Im not talking about missed opportunities my man, but careers cut short before a fighter may have reached his potential. And while I agree to an extent about Bowe, he doesn't fit into this thread.
Harry Simon
sonnyboyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 AM #8
Dallas Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
Harry Simon

Good pick sonny! He was certainly up and coming beating top comp before being sent to prison. Underrated or overrated?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 AM #9
Dallas Cowboys

Edwin Valero is a fighter who's career was cut short but who I thought was hugely overrated while fighting. Opinions?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:38 AM #10
Interim Champion

Bright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 12,418.99
Total Points: 1,786,707.13

Quote:
Edwin Valero is a fighter who's career was cut short but who I thought was hugely overrated while fighting. Opinions?

I need to watch more of him but I wasn't impressed with his power against Antonio Demarco.He dominated a good solid boxer but he hit him many times and his punches just didnt seem to be as heavy as advertised.
Bright-Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
careers, fighters, rated, short, who's

User Tag List