Toney vs Holyfield: What do you think of this fight? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 AM #1
The Avenger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Toney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,067.16
Total Points: 940,275.62
Great Poster! Keep going. - "Marvelous" Have a beer on me :) - WAR FERGIE for your hard work and great pics - project xxx1 Thanks for the heads up - kyshenko team Great Thread Starter award - The Surgeon 
cheers to you for the great threads in the boxing history section you make - WesleySnipes 
Default Toney vs Holyfield: What do you think of this fight?

Watched this fight again the other day, Toney put on a boxing masterclass, but I have to admit that Evander was very past prime at that time in his career

I admired Toney's use of:
Feints
Slipping/rolling
Bodypunching
Counters

Off topic: Evander fought a very dirty fight as well, he was consistently trying to headbutt Toney from round 2 onwards
Toney616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 220,168.87
Great job on my assignment. Here's another book for your collection. - BattlingNelson 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -IronMike- View Post

Watched this fight again the other day, Toney put on a boxing masterclass, but I have to admit that Evander was very past prime at that time in his career

I admired Toney's use of:
Feints
Slipping/rolling
Bodypunching
Counters

Off topic: Evander fought a very dirty fight as well, he was consistently trying to headbutt Toney from round 2 onwards
A total one-sided beating
1SILVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 PM #3
The Avenger

Toney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,067.16
Total Points: 940,275.62
Great Poster! Keep going. - "Marvelous" Have a beer on me :) - WAR FERGIE for your hard work and great pics - project xxx1 Thanks for the heads up - kyshenko team Great Thread Starter award - The Surgeon 
cheers to you for the great threads in the boxing history section you make - WesleySnipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SILVA View Post
A total one-sided beating
True
Toney reminded me of Walcott with the some of the tricks he used in during that fight
Toney616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:33 PM #4
queenmanspopa

prinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond reputeprinzemanspopa has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 546,213.36
No Message - poet682006 No Message - poet682006 No Message - poet682006 Top Poster - Stone Roses! one of boxingscene's best - Freedom. 
Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Gay and Lesbian Pride - poet682006 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - nightowl Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - GALACTUS 

I don't think fighters should be credited with performances,regardless of how impressive that may have looked, against completely shot fighters.It's quite disturbing how many people do credit Toney for beating up on this zombie of a past legend.

God knows what a prime Holy,or even the Holyfield of four years previous,would have done to Toney.
prinzemanspopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 772,161,809.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 

Holyfield was definitely way past his best, but considering he went on to get robbed in the Valuev fight like 5 years later...and that no one has beaten him up as badly as Toney did since...

I mean, it was still a pretty darn good performance, even if Holyfield was most definitely a shell of himself. best HW version of Toney, for sure.
Steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 PM #6
Self-Exiled

HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,806,787.05
Total Points: 44,969,435.01
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 

Calling Holyfield dirty and praising Toney is like the pot calling the kettle black. Toney was a roider and that is not speculation, he had his decision over Ruiz declared a no contest for testing positive for banned substance Stanozolol. His excuse about the doctor giving it for his arm was comical. Holy also had ped speculation with the evan fields scandal, but it was never proven.

Toney called Ruiz a fighter that Don King found in a garbage can, yet he needed steroids to win. Toney is one of the most class less men to ever lace it up. The way he also threw the mic from Jim Gray's hand to the floor was also indicative of that. Although Gray is no angel himself (ie pete rose incident.)

Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 08-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.
HaglerSteelChin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:59 PM #7
Double X

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Miburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond reputeMiburo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,937,363,666,999,581.50
Total Points: 2,937,364,149,786,105.50
Here's a superman gift, for being brave enough to fukk squids - Erik13 I shall try my best to improve my reputation. - Robin Hood Here's for the 7k post! - led Happy 7k! :) - *Boss Lady* xmas gift, even though i'm almost 1000% sure you don't celebrate it.. - Ether 
Thank you ! - BulgariasFinest Happy 8k! :) - Bossy Here's one for the 8k party - led I found a way to fix &quot;it&quot;....pm me, ill be more than happy to help you - Mike Tyson77 I'm new here but congratulations on your 9000 post...cheers! - jose830 
For going 10,000 strong! - codey for your service. - codey 10000 - TBear Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy new year, Teng. - Terrel 
the first bottle is on me homie! - jose830 Happy 10.5k tard! - led* 
Autism - Pension-Killer Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - project xxx1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Point Giver Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
Calling Holyfield dirty and praising Toney is like the pot calling the kettle black. Toney was a roider and that is not speculation, he had his decision over Ruiz declared a no contest for testing positive for banned substance Stanozolol. His excuse about the doctor giving it for his arm was comical. Holy also had ped speculation with the evan fields scandal, but it was never proven.

Toney called Ruiz a fighter that Don King found in a garbage can, yet he needed steroids to win. Toney is one of the most class less men to ever lace it up. The way he also threw the mic from Jim Gray's hand to the floor was also indicative of that. Although Gray is no angel himself (ie pete rose incident.)
Riiiight. You do realize it was medically prescribed for an injury Lots of legitimate things will cause you to test positive man, in fact I take allergy medication almost daily that would cause me to piss hot in sports.
Miburo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM #8
Self-Exiled

HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,806,787.05
Total Points: 44,969,435.01
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengoshi View Post
Riiiight. You do realize it was medically prescribed for an injury Lots of legitimate things will cause you to test positive man, in fact I take allergy medication almost daily that would cause me to piss hot in sports.
Don't you think a doctor and athlete who have brains would know that can possibly make you test positive? I took briefly predisone for allergy/asthma related symptoms, yet i would know to talk to my doc and say give me something not related to any roids. I don't buy toney's story, but everyone entitled to opinion.
HaglerSteelChin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,083,924.59
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

It was a superb fight, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a boxing masterclass from Toney.

It was sad to see Holyfield stopped, but Toney was art that night.
Sugarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM #10
Germany's P4P puncher

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Tobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond reputeTobi.G has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,970,403.31
Total Points: 3,804,542.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
It was a superb fight, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a boxing masterclass from Toney.

It was sad to see Holyfield stopped, but Toney was art that night.
I agree! That was one of Toneys best performances ever! Holyfield was shot, but he remained manny years after that and was still good enough to beat Valuev and others, a fight in which he was robbed. Nobody ´has beaten Holyfield as impressive as Toney did. But Toney was never the same since then, he always came out of shape and now hes a shot fighter as well who will fight at MMA!!! Its sad that Toney took PED but the way he fought, his skills and his style, always nice to watch and verry impressive, even when he was totally out of shape he fought better than anyone would think. He would just stand there but still it was verry hard to hit him and then his counter abilities! A born fighter, and also a funny and one of the best trash talker!
I liked Toney as a cruiserweight, the fight against Jirov was terrific!

Last edited by Tobi.G; 08-06-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Tobi.G is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
fight?, holyfield:, toney

User Tag List