Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Toney616
The Avenger

Rep Power: 12 Toney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 13,514.18
Total Points: 813,820.64
Great Poster! Keep going. - "Marvelous" Have a beer on me :) - WAR FERGIE for your hard work and great pics - project xxx1 Thanks for the heads up - kyshenko team Great Thread Starter award - The Surgeon 
cheers to you for the great threads in the boxing history section you make - WesleySnipes 
Arrow Archie Moore vs Walcott: Who had the higher skill set?

Can anyone tell me which one? Please give reasons as well
Archie Moore:

Jersey Joe Walcott:
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 120,961,407,272,425.62
Total Points: 120,961,407,277,736.09
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

Oooooh now THIS is a tough one :cool9:

Poet
Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Toney616
The Avenger

Rep Power: 12 Toney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond repute
Great Poster! Keep going. - "Marvelous" Have a beer on me :) - WAR FERGIE for your hard work and great pics - project xxx1 Thanks for the heads up - kyshenko team Great Thread Starter award - The Surgeon 
cheers to you for the great threads in the boxing history section you make - WesleySnipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
Oooooh now THIS is a tough one :cool9:

Poet
lmao
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -IronMike- View Post
lmao
Seriously! Off the top of my head I'm not sure who I'd edge in this one! :grin9:

Poet
Old 08-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Toney616
The Avenger

Quote:
Seriously! Off the top of my head I'm not sure who I'd edge in this one! :grin9:

Poet
Im going to have to start sitting down with a piece of paper and making notes on what I see fighters doing. Can you explain what the term "setting traps" means?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -IronMike- View Post
Im going to have to start sitting down with a piece of paper and making notes on what I see fighters doing. Can you explain what the term "setting traps" means?
Well, any fighter is trained to react certain ways when they see an opening. Setting a trap is delibrately giving them an opening knowing exactly how they'll react then countering the reaction. In other words you're setting the opponent up for something he doesn't see coming. Walcott was a master at it. Joe Louis said (and I'm paraphrasing) "When Walcott dropped his left it wasn't a mistake: It was a trap and when you fell for it he'd bring the ceiling down on your head with the counter right".

Poet
Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Toney616
The Avenger

Quote:
Well, any fighter is trained to react certain ways when they see an opening. Setting a trap is delibrately giving them an opening knowing exactly how they'll react then countering the reaction. In other words you're setting the opponent up for something he doesn't see coming. Walcott was a master at it. Joe Louis said (and I'm paraphrasing) "When Walcott dropped his left it wasn't a mistake: It was a trap and when you fell for it he'd bring the ceiling down on your head with the counter right".

Poet
Thanks for this
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Tiozzo
Banned

Bank: 151,374,525.33
Total Points: 253,547,168.46
for knowing your stuff and schooling newbies around here - Alx. 

Quote:

Poet
Walcott is an underrated counterpuncher

Louis won the second fight because he understood what happened in the first fight : Walcott forced him to lead using his traps and other clever methods such as acting a retreat

in the rematch, Louis was walking in without punching not to get countered, and it worked, cause Walcott was forced to lead a lot more
Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,078,559.06
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Oooooooh, yep tough call this one. Archie Moore is clearly a higher rated ATG, possibly even top 10, Walcott would be much lower, but they both did their best work in different weight divisions. Record for record......Moore takes this clearly..........but the question concerns skill sets.

Obviously Moore was an outstanding light heavyweight, one of the best of all time whereas Walcott was a damn good heavyweight who was unfortunate to mix in the Louis/Charles/Marciano era.

Waffle over! As to sheer pound for pound skill sets I'll be controversial and edge Walcott by a smidgen. I think he had better footwork than Moore, a sharper jab, possibly better (pound for pound) hand speed and an even more unGodly use of angles......but it really is so close!

Walcott sadly didn't have quite the punch resistance that Moore did (in a pound for pound sense). With a better set of whiskers Walcott may well have beaten Louis (rightly twice) and Marciano too which would rightly leave his ATG status quite a few points higher. That said, you cant quibble with either of the knockouts in Louis 2 or Marciano 1. Even guys with iron chins might have struggled to hold either of those attacks.

I wouldn't argue with anyone saying that Moore had a better skill set, perhaps I'm a touch swayed by Walcott's flashiness, style and in ring flamboyance. The Walcott waltz and shift were quite entertaining to watch.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Obama
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 118 Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 44,917,634,364,132.89
Total Points: 44,917,638,364,795.33
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Walcott was slicker and probably more clever but overall his stills were inferior. He also ducked Moore.