Rate these guys in terms of boxing ability part 2 - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 07-31-2010, 10:02 AM #1
The Avenger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Toney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,067.16
Total Points: 940,320.62
Great Poster! Keep going. - "Marvelous" Have a beer on me :) - WAR FERGIE for your hard work and great pics - project xxx1 Thanks for the heads up - kyshenko team Great Thread Starter award - The Surgeon 
cheers to you for the great threads in the boxing history section you make - WesleySnipes 
Arrow Rate these guys in terms of boxing ability part 2

The fighters:
Michael Nunn
Roy Jones
Muhammad Ali
Pernell Whittaker

The judging criteria:
Offense
Defense
Footwork

Please give reasons for your order

Off topic: Can anyone here give me a breakdown of Pernell defensive technique?
Toney616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 938 Post(s)
SplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,569,497,434,968.02
Total Points: 6,670,728,830,088.74
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier For solid posting - The Surgeon lol - -jose- 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - McGoorty Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - sugarsmosley 

jones
whitaker
nunn
ali

reason: uhm...i guess the most complete in terms of the criteria
SplitSecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:08 PM #3
The Avenger

Toney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond reputeToney616 has a reputation beyond repute
Great Poster! Keep going. - "Marvelous" Have a beer on me :) - WAR FERGIE for your hard work and great pics - project xxx1 Thanks for the heads up - kyshenko team Great Thread Starter award - The Surgeon 
cheers to you for the great threads in the boxing history section you make - WesleySnipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .-|Akrobatic|-. View Post
jones
whitaker
nunn
ali

reason: uhm...i guess the most complete in terms of the criteria
How would you describe Jones's defense?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 938 Post(s)
SplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,569,497,434,968.02
Total Points: 6,670,728,830,088.74
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier For solid posting - The Surgeon lol - -jose- 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - McGoorty Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - sugarsmosley 

i dont know how you want me to answer that, but i think his defence at its best lied in his backfoot and the counter that followed when he moved back

as for pernell whitakers defence, imo it relied more on headmovement and a pepper jab, and there is his famous straight turning and running when getting trapped on the ropes
SplitSecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 PM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 185,138,252.29
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Ali - The Greatest
Jones ) 2nd
Whitaker ) 2nd
Nunn

Nunn falls short in this grouping
sonnyboyx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 PM #6
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond reputeMeccaOfBoxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 234,521.42

Michael Nunn is out of his depth with these fighters.
MeccaOfBoxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM #7
The Avenger

Quote:
i dont know how you want me to answer that, but i think his defence at its best lied in his backfoot and the counter that followed when he moved back
Thanks for replying. I never been to sure how to define it myself. Joe Goossen said it was his ability to put all of his weight on his right leg and to lean back to avoid punches. I also noticed that he tended to parry punches with his right hand as well
Quote:
as for pernell whitakers defence, imo it relied more on headmovement and a pepper jab, and there is his famous straight turning and running when getting trapped on the ropes
Im going to have to watch some of his fights again, I've always had a hard time trying to define his defense as well
Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 PM #8
The Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
Ali - The Greatest
Jones ) 2nd
Whitaker ) 2nd
Nunn

Nunn falls short in this grouping
In terms of footwork and offense Nunn was as good as Ali imo. Defensively im not so sure, but he was very adept at slipping punches, which is unusual for such a big guy
Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM #9
The Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenEra View Post
Michael Nunn is out of his depth with these fighters.
You think so?
He had great upper body movement, handspeed and combination punching
Old 07-31-2010, 12:43 PM #10
The Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by -IronMike- View Post
The fighters:
Michael Nunn
Roy Jones
Muhammad Ali
Pernell Whittaker

The judging criteria:
Offense
Defense
Footwork

Please give reasons for your order

Off topic: Can anyone here give me a breakdown of Pernell defensive technique?
My first attempt to order them, will most probably change it a bit after I watched some of their fights again:

Defense:
Jones
Whittaker
Ali
Nunn

Offense:
Jones
Nunn
Ali
Whittaker

Footwork:
Nunn