Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 AM
~BoZz~
CHINO XL

Rep Power: 25 ~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 51,735,487,118,954.52
Total Points: 51,735,488,067,115.05
for ur superpwnage of elderlybeater in his own thread.. LOL - Tha Executioner Pactard Killer! - MANIAC310 BoZzZzZz - MANIAC310 Keep slaying Pactards - rorymac Hahaha remind me to green K you for that sig pic lol - dancovboxer 
I don't think i've ever seen you green lol - MANIAC310 Happy New Year - Freedom. happy new years homie - Tha_Greatest same to you brother - dj emzz Bossy Loves BoZzY :D :kiss: - Bossy 
for being good sport in the, "start rumors" thread - jose830 tasty. - YDKSAB no more green k homie, lol, sent you this until im able to green you bakk - Tha_Greatest Happy holidays bro! - led* Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Happy Holidays ~BoZz~ - !! AI-Holmes!! I don't even know who you are, but enjoy! You learned your lesson :) - thuggery Now now, behave yourself. Good Boy - thuggery sh1t , i cant green k you again, i got banned 2 times in 2 days i posted(did my ban time) and got banned again, lol, wonderful, lol, - Tha_Greatest another one, lol, i cant believe i used to have beef with you, lol, respect to ya man - Tha_Greatest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BritishBoxing92 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BritishBoxing92 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 
Default I just sparred a friend of mine...

He does that tae kwan do stuff

Ive been boxing for 8 years now and he suggested that we should go all out so that we could see who will have the upper hand (foot)
I had no chance to come even close his legs were just too damaging and the reach advantage was crazy.

Is there any way i could improve in closing the gap so that i could start hitting him with some nice hard shots to the head?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Yael The Great
Contender

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 34,984.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes Benz View Post

Ive been boxing for 8 years now and he suggested that we should go all out so that we could see who will have the upper hand (foot)
I had no chance to come even close his legs were just too damaging and the reach advantage was crazy.

Is there any way i could improve in closing the gap so that i could start hitting him with some nice hard shots to the head?
Kick him in the leg with your lead foot and plant it after you land so you could be close to him.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:39 AM
dr.x
Contender

Rep Power: 0 dr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these partsdr.x is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 34,530.37

Quote:

I once sparred with my friend who does karate , it seemed very difficult to out box him , as I usualy do with the amateurs in boxing .
the easiest way to beat him is to be fast and get inside while you're protecting yourself , and being ready to be hit with a kick while getting in . once you're inside,his legs are useless and his hand technique are poor , you can hit him easily .
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 AM
shogunn
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 18 shogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond reputeshogunn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 37,492,316,778.93
Total Points: 137,493,074,024.78
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier 

if your friend is smart, he wouldnt let your fists get anywhere near him and keep attacking with his legs for the longer reach.

Your only hope is to make him miss when he kicks and step inside. Thats when youll have the upperbody advantage, unless he's really good at that too.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,078,544.06
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Ha ha, it was actually boxing that got me out of martial arts!

In Kung Fu sparring I found it comfortable to fight at a distance, use my kicks etc. But the first time I came across someone who could close the distance and use his hands/punches well it completely changed my way of thinking. Its much more intimidating to have someone that close firing off fast punches. Its easy to block/dodge a kick from a few feet away. Punches close in to many martial artists are very uncomfortable to prepare for.

Watch out for leg sweeps and knees when working your way in, use good footwork and keep distance to a minimum if you can. When you are inside, you can really take advantage of the often open martial arts guards and fire in all manner of hooks and uppercuts without the fear of shipping a roundhouse kick in return.

It can be easier said than done with a decent martial arts exponent. But the better your boxing becomes, the better you'll be able to deal with a martial artist.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:36 AM
~BoZz~
CHINO XL

Rep Power: 25 ~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute~BoZz~ has a reputation beyond repute
for ur superpwnage of elderlybeater in his own thread.. LOL - Tha Executioner Pactard Killer! - MANIAC310 BoZzZzZz - MANIAC310 Keep slaying Pactards - rorymac Hahaha remind me to green K you for that sig pic lol - dancovboxer 
I don't think i've ever seen you green lol - MANIAC310 Happy New Year - Freedom. happy new years homie - Tha_Greatest same to you brother - dj emzz Bossy Loves BoZzY :D :kiss: - Bossy 
for being good sport in the, &quot;start rumors&quot; thread - jose830 tasty. - YDKSAB no more green k homie, lol, sent you this until im able to green you bakk - Tha_Greatest Happy holidays bro! - led* Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 
Happy Holidays ~BoZz~ - !! AI-Holmes!! I don't even know who you are, but enjoy! You learned your lesson :) - thuggery Now now, behave yourself. Good Boy - thuggery sh1t , i cant green k you again, i got banned 2 times in 2 days i posted(did my ban time) and got banned again, lol, wonderful, lol, - Tha_Greatest another one, lol, i cant believe i used to have beef with you, lol, respect to ya man - Tha_Greatest 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BritishBoxing92 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BritishBoxing92 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANIAC310 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANIAC310 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Ha ha, it was actually boxing that got me out of martial arts!

In Kung Fu sparring I found it comfortable to fight at a distance, use my kicks etc. But the first time I came across someone who could close the distance and use his hands/punches well it completely changed my way of thinking. Its much more intimidating to have someone that close firing off fast punches. Its easy to block/dodge a kick from a few feet away. Punches close in to many martial artists are very uncomfortable to prepare for.

Watch out for leg sweeps and knees when working your way in, use good footwork and keep distance to a minimum if you can. When you are inside, you can really take advantage of the often open martial arts guards and fire in all manner of hooks and uppercuts without the fear of shipping a roundhouse kick in return.

It can be easier said than done with a decent martial arts exponent. But the better your boxing becomes, the better you'll be able to deal with a martial artist.
I understand where you're coming from but I'm not allowed to use my legs and he's not allowed to use his hands..

You mentioned the thing about closing the distance,yes that's the only way I could actually land a punch on him but the thing is that it only works for the ring,on the street closing the distance means grabbing,that's where judo becomes very useful.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM
~BoZz~
CHINO XL

for being good sport in the, &quot;start rumors&quot; thread - jose830 tasty. - YDKSAB no more green k homie, lol, sent you this until im able to green you bakk - Tha_Greatest Happy holidays bro! - led* Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. 

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I'm gonna give him a good beating sooner or later
Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,078,544.06
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Hi again Mercedes,

I knew Tae Kwon Do is a kicks based martial art, but is that right......are no punches taught at all? I thought the basic punches were taught. I came from a Kung Fu background, where all manner of strikes, holds and throws are used.

Is grappling used much in Tae Kwon Do too? I'm suprised that you mentioned a concern over grabbing in close by a Tae Kwon Do student.

In sparring against an orthodox stance martial arts student, I tended to find that adopting a southpaw stance served me very well. Honestly, 99% of the time the first move my opponent would make was the left lead roundhouse to either my leg, chest or head. Its so tempting for them, possibly out of habit, possibly because my lead leg was closer to their lead foot and seemed open to a roundhouse to the back of my leg.

It was so easy to counter! Most left lead kicks in my experience were not particularly powerful and so much slower than a jab that I had no problem in blocking/avoiding them and immediately stepping in with a double jab cross combination.

Avoiding their right kicks wasn't too much trouble too as I feel natural as a southpaw in moving to my right. You'd know if a right kick was coming because the opponent would twist their body near 180 degrees in some cases! Ha ha
Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
~BoZz~
CHINO XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Hi again Mercedes,

I knew Tae Kwon Do is a kicks based martial art, but is that right......are no punches taught at all? I thought the basic punches were taught. I came from a Kung Fu background, where all manner of strikes, holds and throws are used.

Is grappling used much in Tae Kwon Do too? I'm suprised that you mentioned a concern over grabbing in close by a Tae Kwon Do student.

In sparring against an orthodox stance martial arts student, I tended to find that adopting a southpaw stance served me very well. Honestly, 99% of the time the first move my opponent would make was the left lead roundhouse to either my leg, chest or head. Its so tempting for them, possibly out of habit, possibly because my lead leg was closer to their lead foot and seemed open to a roundhouse to the back of my leg.

It was so easy to counter! Most left lead kicks in my experience were not particularly powerful and so much slower than a jab that I had no problem in blocking/avoiding them and immediately stepping in with a double jab cross combination.

Avoiding their right kicks wasn't too much trouble too as I feel natural as a southpaw in moving to my right. You'd know if a right kick was coming because the opponent would twist their body near 180 degrees in some cases! Ha ha
Well in teakwondo they use the basic one two punch from what he told me it's 95% legs.

There is also a big difference between olympic (wtf) and traditional (itf) takwondo,in wtf tkd they tend to concentrate on the sport part while the itf is more traditional ( self defense)

Na we actually don't grapple ,once i get in and he grabs me we separate, the reason I said judo I was speaking about the same situation but on the street.

Well I can't comment about kung fu all I know is that there are many diff kung fu styles none of them uses the same principals.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:05 PM
DiLLiNGER
Banned

Bank: 756,364.36
Total Points: 807,464.09
San Miguel from the PI. Cheers - JM1 I LOVE MYSELF - DiLLiNGER Cookie for my friend Dillz - -Ash- Have some Ice Cream bro - -Ash- For putting these fools in their places - -Ash- 
Make it rain on the haters - -Ash- lets stack those gifts up for you buddy - -Ash- Throw this pie at the next poster who talks trash to you - -Ash- Kept a piece for you from Dorians birthday cake buddy - -Ash- Cause I Love Ya Son - Stones In Exile 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - JM1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - JM1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - JM1 Head and Neck Cancer - -Ash- 
Childhood Cancer - Grand Champ Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Rolling Stone Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - -Kevin- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -Kevin- Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - -Kevin- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Mr Punch 

Quote:

A good kicker will always beat a good puncher due to reach like you said and also the leg generates more power.