Harry Greb vs Marvin Hagler - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
jakelamotta#1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 62,743.61
Default Harry Greb vs Marvin Hagler

who wins and how ?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Megamasterking
Interim Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0 Megamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these partsMegamasterking is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 73,363.32
Lucian Bute - Freedom. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelamotta#1 View Post
who wins and how ?
Hagler by KO 8, Hagler had more power in his punch and had one of the best chin. Greb had also a great chin but was not a power puncher like Hearns was and Hearns really did all he could to KO Hagler.

Last edited by Megamasterking; 07-15-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,030,083,689.52
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Hagler for me.........and not too many rounds. Greb's chin and workrate may carry him to the sixth or so. Sorry if I'm a bit unpopular with this prediction.

We can only judge Greb on his printed record at middleweight and ringside/newspaper reports. Its hard to assess a head to head matchup when you only have the ability to watch one fighter on film too. Nothing exists of Greb that I can find.

But I fear that Greb the fighter might have been rather less impressive than Greb the legend.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
boxing boy
Contender

Rep Power: 7 boxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,577,637.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Hagler for me.........and not too many rounds. Greb's chin and workrate may carry him to the sixth or so. Sorry if I'm a bit unpopular with this prediction.

We can only judge Greb on his printed record at middleweight and ringside/newspaper reports. Its hard to assess a head to head matchup when you only have the ability to watch one fighter on film too. Nothing exists of Greb that I can find.

But I fear that Greb the fighter might have been rather less impressive than Greb the legend.
But we do have film of Gene Tunney,who Greb brutally beat in there first fight.

And Tunney had 10-12lbs on Greb in most of there fights,which were evenly fought.

Just saying......
Old 07-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 21 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 

Yea, Gene Tunney is the real world connection.

But its hard to tell how really good Tunney was in the early 20s when he lost to Greb, perhaps a little 'green'? The Carpentier fight from 1924 was the only footage I've seen (and think is available) from the early 20s of Tunney........and that was some 15-20 fights since the first Greb match. Its hard to gauge how good Tunney might have been in 1922.

Granted, Tunney looked good against Carpentier in 1924! But Gene had fought Greb several times prior to this, those fights may well have fashioned Tunney into becoming the superb fighter of the mid to late 20s that he invariably became.

The final match with Greb in what? 1925 was a one sided beating administered by Tunney from what I've read. I gather that Greb pleaded with Tunney in a clinch to carry him to the final bell (which Gentleman Gene did!). It wouldn't suprise me if 1925 Tunney would have schooled all previous versions of Greb.

Still, down at 160Lbs.......Hagler was a mean, switch hitting beast. Very difficult to beat, strong, powerful, fit and with one of the best chins ever. Perhaps I was underestimating Greb's own capacity for absorbing punishment. But I'd be confident to stick with a Hagler win.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 PM
D-MiZe
Iron lungs

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Rep Power: 113 D-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,593,968,252,196,610.00
Total Points: 1,594,871,655,384,733.00
Best chat up line in a gift and or message on Boxingscene. - *Boss Lady* Because you are just so charming. &lt;3333 - *Boss Lady* You haven't been around ... batteries are now dead. - *Boss Lady* I read your manual, changed the batteries and made a mess. Ooops :) - *Boss Lady* Merry Christmas - Flab 
Happy new year! - Toney Loc :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Happy Easter babe :kiss: - Bossy 25k Posts! :kiss: - Bossy For finishing 3rd in Season 2 of The Predictorship Challenge - D4thincarnation 
Keeping the &quot;Predictorship Challenge&quot; alive. - D4thincarnation The Predictorship Challenge Champion Season 3 - D4thincarnation Happy holidays bro! - led* have a safe and Happy New Years bro! :fing02: - jose830 don't get to comfortable with this around your neck, it's going to be taken. - TartanSoldier 
cause you have janes toney as an avy and cause i cant finish this 6 pack - AyoMaDu Some great posts - jas genius predictions! - jas Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZО AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - GetSumBrah Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Autism - The Scientist Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - ??? 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - siablo14 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - 'Sugar' Freddi Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - iBreakbeat 
Send a message via MSN to D-MiZe

I don't think Hagler would stop Greb.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
boxing boy
Contender

Rep Power: 7 boxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond reputeboxing boy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,577,637.22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Yea, Gene Tunney is the real world connection.

But its hard to tell how really good Tunney was in the early 20s when he lost to Greb, perhaps a little 'green'? The Carpentier fight from 1924 was the only footage I've seen (and think is available) from the early 20s of Tunney........and that was some 15-20 fights since the first Greb match. Its hard to gauge how good Tunney might have been in 1922.

Granted, Tunney looked good against Carpentier in 1924! But Gene had fought Greb several times prior to this, those fights may well have fashioned Tunney into becoming the superb fighter of the mid to late 20s that he invariably became.

The final match with Greb in what? 1925 was a one sided beating administered by Tunney from what I've read. I gather that Greb pleaded with Tunney in a clinch to carry him to the final bell (which Gentleman Gene did!). It wouldn't suprise me if 1925 Tunney would have schooled all previous versions of Greb.

Still, down at 160Lbs.......Hagler was a mean, switch hitting beast. Very difficult to beat, strong, powerful, fit and with one of the best chins ever. Perhaps I was underestimating Greb's own capacity for absorbing punishment. But I'd be confident to stick with a Hagler win.
Nice post,and good points.

I was just thinking of Tunney vs Hagler,with Hagler giving away 10 pounds like Greb did? We have film on Tunney,so i was just trying to gauge Greb from the Tunney fights.

I think Tunney would have schooled Hagler too.Especially with Hagler giving away 10lbs like Greb did.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
NChristo
The Keed

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21 NChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond reputeNChristo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,245,473,474,933,864.00
Total Points: 19,245,473,474,953,284.00
1st Gift, woop-woop! - Raider Monkz Keep up the good posts! - "Marvelous" for being a heavyweight in history section - led you're very underrated on these boards - -pound4pound- who only drinks one beer? have another - -pound4pound- 
Super poster - Monkz one for the road - led The History Sections Top Poster Award - Barnburner Yo man, how you doing? From that persecution of Sonny thread, I read something about you being annoyed at Jab, whats going on? hope everythings well, gift is for being one the most knowledgeable posters and a stand-up guy :fing02: - RubenSonny pastrano-johnson..meh...that was in black and white - -MAKAVELLI- 
For a great 2012!!!!! asshole - TartanSoldier 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Barnburner Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Barnburner Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Barnburner Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Barnburner 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Barnburner Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Barnburner Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Barnburner Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Barnburner Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - Barnburner 
Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Barnburner Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Barnburner Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Barnburner Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Barnburner Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Barnburner 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Barnburner Autism - Barnburner AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Barnburner Head and Neck Cancer - Barnburner Hepatitis C - Barnburner 

Can't really say, no one here has seen footage of Harry Greb in a fight to tell what his style really was like and what his strengths and weaknesses are, all we know is that he was a swarmer of some description.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
D-MiZe
Iron lungs

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Rep Power: 113 D-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond reputeD-MiZe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,593,968,252,196,610.00
Total Points: 1,594,871,655,384,733.00
Best chat up line in a gift and or message on Boxingscene. - *Boss Lady* Because you are just so charming. &lt;3333 - *Boss Lady* You haven't been around ... batteries are now dead. - *Boss Lady* I read your manual, changed the batteries and made a mess. Ooops :) - *Boss Lady* Merry Christmas - Flab 
Happy new year! - Toney Loc :kiss: - *Boss Lady* Happy Easter babe :kiss: - Bossy 25k Posts! :kiss: - Bossy For finishing 3rd in Season 2 of The Predictorship Challenge - D4thincarnation 
Keeping the &quot;Predictorship Challenge&quot; alive. - D4thincarnation The Predictorship Challenge Champion Season 3 - D4thincarnation Happy holidays bro! - led* have a safe and Happy New Years bro! :fing02: - jose830 don't get to comfortable with this around your neck, it's going to be taken. - TartanSoldier 
cause you have janes toney as an avy and cause i cant finish this 6 pack - AyoMaDu Some great posts - jas genius predictions! - jas Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - ЯiZО AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - GetSumBrah Hepatitis C - _PlaT_NuM_ Autism - The Scientist Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - ??? 
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - siablo14 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - 'Sugar' Freddi Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - iBreakbeat Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - iBreakbeat 
Send a message via MSN to D-MiZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChristo View Post
Can't really say, no one here has seen footage of Harry Greb in a fight to tell what his style really was like and what his strengths and weaknesses are, all we know is that he was a swarmer of some description.
Well according to reports he went on the defensive against Tunney and managed to survive. Which is why I think Hagler wouldn't stop Greb.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Hi Boxingboy,

I can honestly say that I've never given a Hagler vs Tunney matchup a thought. So good point there! As you say, Tunney would outweigh Marvin by perhaps a stone minimum.

Err........I'm going to go with Tunney by decision. Though it really is the hardest fight to visualise.

Its hard to guess how Tunney would react to Hagler's southpaw stance. Its hard to guess if Tunney would fight on his toes using his jab and following up with two handed flurries........or if he would press the fight knowing that he was the stronger of the two. He fought Greb aggressively from what I gather, certainly in the latter meetings.

Everything taken into consideration, I struggle more with the concept of Hagler winning than Tunney.

Share This With Friends

Tags
greb, hagler, harry, marvin

User Tag List