Starting again after knee dislocation - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM #1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 22,515.26
Default Starting again after knee dislocation

Right, I dislocated my knee at the beginning of january whilst sparring so I've had basically 7 months doing sweet fanny adams training wise. I just started back at training again tonight and needles to say my level of fitness has dropped (quite a bit more than I'd expected but then I did take up smoking again [very bad move, I know but I'm now quit]) I was just wondering If anyone knows of any knee specific exercises to try and strengthen the joint and reduce the possibility of it happening again. By the way I have been doing alot of bodyweight exercises for the last 3 weeks at my local gym in preperation for boxing (lots of squats, tyre jumps, single leg tyre steps, thrusts e.t.c.)
Also has anyone had a similar injury and found a certain brand of supplement to be of particular benefit?? I'm taking seven seas glucosamine & cods liver oil currently. Any advice/comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
chris30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-16-2010, 01:04 AM #2
Contender

FM3O has a spectacular aura aboutFM3O has a spectacular aura aboutFM3O has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 87,107.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris30 View Post
Right, I dislocated my knee at the beginning of january whilst sparring so I've had basically 7 months doing sweet fanny adams training wise. I just started back at training again tonight and needles to say my level of fitness has dropped (quite a bit more than I'd expected but then I did take up smoking again [very bad move, I know but I'm now quit]) I was just wondering If anyone knows of any knee specific exercises to try and strengthen the joint and reduce the possibility of it happening again. By the way I have been doing alot of bodyweight exercises for the last 3 weeks at my local gym in preperation for boxing (lots of squats, tyre jumps, single leg tyre steps, thrusts e.t.c.)
Also has anyone had a similar injury and found a certain brand of supplement to be of particular benefit?? I'm taking seven seas glucosamine & cods liver oil currently. Any advice/comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
I tore my ACL a couple years back and had a cadaver put in. The most important thing is to be cautious and not to jump back into anything too soon. I'd stop smoking first off. I take it you've talked to a doctor?
FM3O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:07 PM #3
SAN JUAN

Del Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 626,161,402.24
Total Points: 628,380,822.43
BORICUA!!!! - williamhvx1 a bet is a bet, gracias! - Perro have some San Miguel to our new superstar JML! - Papa Ace u da man!! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
WaR Cotto! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 

I also tore my acl, and to be honest I was never the same afterwards don't matter how hard I worked out. To get back after knee injury you need to do obvious weight routine (leg ext., leg curls, light squat, lunges, etc. also work on your calves), try cycling instead of running.
Del Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 PM #4
Contender

FM3O has a spectacular aura aboutFM3O has a spectacular aura aboutFM3O has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 87,107.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu Pai View Post
I also tore my acl, and to be honest I was never the same afterwards don't matter how hard I worked out. To get back after knee injury you need to do obvious weight routine (leg ext., leg curls, light squat, lunges, etc. also work on your calves), try cycling instead of running.
Really? How long ago did you get your surgery? When my happened, my knee popped out and right back in, I didn't even know anything was truly wrong until it swelled up that night. Luckily I had absolutely no cartilidge damage or any damage to my miniscus or or other legiments, and since the surgery its been as good as my other knee. Granted, I'm hoping there are no long term effects that have yet to show themselves.
FM3O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:17 PM #5
SAN JUAN

Del Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond reputeDel Coqui has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 626,161,402.24
Total Points: 628,380,822.43
BORICUA!!!! - williamhvx1 a bet is a bet, gracias! - Perro have some San Miguel to our new superstar JML! - Papa Ace u da man!! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
WaR Cotto! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 War CoTTo! - Sox8055 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM3O View Post
Really? How long ago did you get your surgery? When my happened, my knee popped out and right back in, I didn't even know anything was truly wrong until it swelled up that night. Luckily I had absolutely no cartilidge damage or any damage to my miniscus or or other legiments, and since the surgery its been as good as my other knee. Granted, I'm hoping there are no long term effects that have yet to show themselves.
I was never able to run as fast and when it comes to boxing, was never able to move side side and in angles as I did before. I had torn acl and meniscus.
Del Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:06 AM #6
Up and Comer

chris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these partschris30 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 22,515.26

I never actually ended up having surgery, just went straight into physio. I spoke to the doctor at great length about re-habillitating my knee...only to come to the conclusion that he wasn't really that interested and I'd be better researching it myself. Tu Pai i can well believe not getting quite back to where you were, I can tell already I'm gonna have to be super careful on it, right hooks and like you say moving from side to side, I dont think will ever be the same absolutely gutted! Still gonna box some heads in like I stopped the smoking 5 weeks ago now and feel alot better for it...just gotta get fit and put the work in again!
chris30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
dislocation, knee, starting

User Tag List