Questions regarding the phillly shell - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 06-20-2010, 04:28 AM
GhostFighter
Contender

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 176,304.65
Default Questions regarding the phillly shell

I experimenting this style and i feel i can slip and bob more naturally using this and confuse my oppenet but the downsides i have experienced with it is throwing the left hook and jabbing.
With the jab its like grapping my pistol and shooting and throwing the left hook firstly withouth setting it up will be seen much easier then having my fist by my chin.
So how do u throw the left hook and jab with this?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Sam Donald
Asian Pride

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Rep Power: 12 Sam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond reputeSam Donald has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,694,786,841,921.07
Total Points: 2,783,061,827,953.97
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier One of the greats - jas 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - Dan-O-Mac 

ask your trainer
Old 06-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Danny Gunz
Smokin'

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Rep Power: 62 Danny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Gunz has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 327,223,507,778,391.94
Total Points: 329,508,323,299,059.38
Cool Poster. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Danny Gunz Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - WANGLER Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Dorian.. 

Im not sure honestly, its fun to mess around with a shell defense in sparring and stuff but dont get to attached because it can get you in some deep waters.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:19 PM
"Shion"
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 7 "Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of"Shion" has much to be proud of
Total Points: 15,080.11
Send a message via AIM to "Shion" Send a message via MSN to "Shion"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFighter View Post
I experimenting this style and i feel i can slip and bob more naturally using this and confuse my oppenet but the downsides i have experienced with it is throwing the left hook and jabbing.
With the jab its like grapping my pistol and shooting and throwing the left hook firstly withouth setting it up will be seen much easier then having my fist by my chin.
So how do u throw the left hook and jab with this?
IMO, stick to regular orthodox style.

Look at Amir Khan, look at JC Chavez.

Those guys and more have become really great fighters without using philly style.

Money Mayweather can use it successfully due to his amazing reflex, but nothing more.

Even so, he still gets caught from time to time doing his showboating.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 AM
I am tyler
Contender

Total Points: 12,357.89

yeah i agree, probably better to use the normal defense. I used the philly shell the other day sparring with my trainer because i had to. He always tells me not to use it, but my left hand was down and that was my only option. But i pulled it off and he threw about 8 punches and none of them landed and he was like 'good defense'. But i always try and use normal defense. The only thing to do with it is practice but you will get hit a lot.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:54 PM
southpaw2884
Contender

Rep Power: 8 southpaw2884 is a jewel in the roughsouthpaw2884 is a jewel in the roughsouthpaw2884 is a jewel in the rough
Total Points: 40,877.50

your guys opinion what kind of defense did holyfield use.. when he decided to use it lol
Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM
BuddyBud
Banned

Bank: 47,803.70
Total Points: 67,017.83
Gay and Lesbian Pride - WarriorSoul Gay and Lesbian Pride - WarriorSoul Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - WarriorSoul 

i only get to philly when steepin back and there is enough space on my back its hard when u get cornered coz u have to twist ur body which need good quick reflexes. If not then u'll get caught.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:33 AM
pbmike
Up and Comer

Total Points: 18,149.82

fast hands to throw those punches from that stance and also u can lean and twist with a left hook but dont do it to often u can get cought also use a lot of your right striaghts and uppercuts counter is the key make him miss and hit him when he misses fast hands and quick reaction
Old 06-27-2010, 05:27 AM
I am tyler
Contender

Total Points: 12,357.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBud View Post
i only get to philly when steepin back and there is enough space on my back its hard when u get cornered coz u have to twist ur body which need good quick reflexes. If not then u'll get caught.
Really? i think its easier when you are cornered. Thats when i use it sometimes but like you say you have to twist your body.

Holyfiled used a mixture tbh but he normally just paws shots away with his right then tries to counter with his left
Old 06-27-2010, 04:56 PM
FalconsRB
Contender

Total Points: 13,607.60

dont imitate anyone's style do what works for you.

Share This With Friends

Tags
phillly, questions, shell

User Tag List