difference between 16 and 18 oz - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 05-28-2010, 06:38 PM
jakelamotta#1
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 62,740.61
Default difference between 16 and 18 oz

hey,

I just ordered a new pair of sparring gloves and I normally use 16 oz gloves but title boxing didnt havet he gloves I wanted in 16oz so I decided to just get 18 oz. So i was wondering if there is a big difference in the weight ?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Goodfa
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Goodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond reputeGoodfa has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 67,794.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelamotta#1 View Post
hey,

I just ordered a new pair of sparring gloves and I normally use 16 oz gloves but title boxing didnt havet he gloves I wanted in 16oz so I decided to just get 18 oz. So i was wondering if there is a big difference in the weight ?
The difference is 2 ounces lol
Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Bullrush
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Rep Power: 17 Bullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond reputeBullrush has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 355,110,909,054.33
Total Points: 355,190,979,737.51

difference aint that big. if you spar 12 rounds you will feel the difference at the end but eh...no big deal
Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Righthandbanger
Contender

Total Points: 7,609.67

I find its more the size of the glove than the weight that affects my sparring.. if your gloves are relatively compact for the weight it shoudnt be a big deal.

hayabusa 16oz are great for a size/weight ratio
Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Manawatu Moss
Up and Comer

Total Points: 1,736.73

Could anyone recommend some BIG 18oz gloves? Or 20oz?

Yeah, why I need them? Don't ask.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 AM
GymRat
Contender

Rep Power: 7 GymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,916,169.56
Total Points: 43,960,063.03
routines...... - Saucy Jacky 

Not much of a difference, as noted. One's stamina and speed (to a certain degree) can be improved by training or sparring with heavier gloves, but the downside is that often your accuracy and blocking defense will be reduced when you use pro fight gloves (8 or 10 ounces). At the end of the day, there's not much of a difference though other than the two extra ounces. I train with 18 ounces to get that extra bit of arm stamina and slight bit of extra speed. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM
jakelamotta#1
Up and Comer

Total Points: 62,740.61

thanks which gloves do you use ?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:45 AM
GymRat
Contender

Rep Power: 7 GymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond reputeGymRat has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,916,169.56
Total Points: 43,960,063.03
routines...... - Saucy Jacky 

I personally am fond of Ringside equipment, but their shipping is overpriced and sucks (UPS) and Ringside's customer service is utter crap. Right now I'm using the Ringside IMF Tech training gloves and they're great.

I find that the best brands of gloves are Ringside, Cleto Reyes, and the Professional line of Grant's gloves. Cleto Reyes are better for actually fighting rather than training, and I only advise buying Grant's Professional line of gloves because I've found that every other product I've ordered from Grant has fallen apart or arrived poorly, and their Campeón line of gloves are well known for being crappy.

Stay away from Everlast and Title though, they are nowhere near where they were decades ago. I've had nothing but bad come from Everlast and Title. At the end of the day, it's up for you. If you're looking for a decent quality pair of gloves just for general training and heavy bag use, go for the Ringside gloves. Especially their IMF Tech line. Top notch.

Share This With Friends

Tags
difference

User Tag List