Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Joey Giardello
#1 Carlos Monzon Fan

Rep Power: 8 Joey Giardello has a spectacular aura aboutJoey Giardello has a spectacular aura aboutJoey Giardello has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 481,878.02
Default Ricardo Mayorga or Juan Roldan who was greater?

Who was greater?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
HaglerSteelChin
Self-Exiled

Rep Power: 11 HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,375,989.48
Total Points: 43,493,500.02
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Giardello View Post
Who was greater?
Mayorga accomplished more as he won 3 titles in two divisions. In addition, he would have unified the WW title against Spinks if it wasen't for Tony Orlando's bad officiating. He had two KD's that were not scored by Orlando and he also was deducted two points by the Ref. Mayorga said some nasty things prior to the fight about killing Cory Spinks in order for him to be reunited with his deceased mom in heaven. I have no doubt Orlando the ref took that in consideration in the fight. I think Spinks died of cancer and was not taken well by people.

Mayorga technically was flawed with horrible defense but his unorthodox style did give him wins against guys like Andrew 6 head lewis, Vernon Forrest(twice), Picchilo(sp?), Vargas etc.

I am a fan of Roldan like SOnnybox here, but the fact is he had three cracks at the MW title and failed each occassion. He had great power and also was unorthodox like Mayorga, but he was more a Swarmer opposed to Mayorga who was a brawler. Roldan was winning against Hagler until he either got thumbed or got hit in the bridge of the eye. He had Hearns on queer street but didnt finish him and than got KO'd. I think he also fell short against Nigel Benn or Julian jackson for a MW title, don't recall and i am not going to check boxrec on it.

Mayorga also gave game fights against Trinidad and gave trouble to Mosley for a few rds. BTw, he was not Kod by Mosley, Mosley did not stay in the netural corner and knocked him out with one second left, if he had stayed in the neutral corner-mayorga survives as the bell rings.

Once again, i am writing fast with no boxrec or wiki references my sincere apologies if i missed some info.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 PM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,283,478,142.55
Total Points: 2,293,712,303.10
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Giardello View Post
Who was greater?
Neither of them were great tbh..
Who was better, would have been more appropriate and i'd say Mayorga just edges it for the double upset over Forrest. If Forrest had won the return, i'd have picked Roldan..
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
Mayorga accomplished more as he won 3 titles in two divisions. In addition, he would have unified the WW title against Spinks if it wasen't for Tony Orlando's bad officiating. He had two KD's that were not scored by Orlando and he also was deducted two points by the Ref. Mayorga said some nasty things prior to the fight about killing Cory Spinks in order for him to be reunited with his deceased mom in heaven. I have no doubt Orlando the ref took that in consideration in the fight. I think Spinks died of cancer and was not taken well by people.

Mayorga technically was flawed with horrible defense but his unorthodox style did give him wins against guys like Andrew 6 head lewis, Vernon Forrest(twice), Picchilo(sp?), Vargas etc.

I am a fan of Roldan like SOnnybox here, but the fact is he had three cracks at the MW title and failed each occassion. He had great power and also was unorthodox like Mayorga, but he was more a Swarmer opposed to Mayorga who was a brawler. Roldan was winning against Hagler until he either got thumbed or got hit in the bridge of the eye. He had Hearns on queer street but didnt finish him and than got KO'd. I think he also fell short against Nigel Benn or Julian jackson for a MW title, don't recall and i am not going to check boxrec on it.

Mayorga also gave game fights against Trinidad and gave trouble to Mosley for a few rds. BTw, he was not Kod by Mosley, Mosley did not stay in the netural corner and knocked him out with one second left, if he had stayed in the neutral corner-mayorga survives as the bell rings.

Once again, i am writing fast with no boxrec or wiki references my sincere apologies if i missed some info.
I wish!... They're the type of high risk fights that are too good to be made..
Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 AM
HaglerSteelChin
Self-Exiled

Rep Power: 11 HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,375,989.48
Total Points: 43,493,500.02
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey malone View Post
It was Michael Nunn for a IBF title, i knew he had a 3rd crack at a MW title.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 AM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 84,800,761.98
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Roldan was the greater fighter by a country mile, Roldan was one of the strongest 160lb fighters of all times Thomas Hearns said Roldan was the toughest fight of his career, Marvin Hagler had real trouble with Roldans style and other than a deliberate thumb in Roldans eye Hagler may well have suffered a defeat..Juan"The Hammer"Roldan beat world ranked contenders Frank Fletcher & James Kinchen as well as knocking out former undisputed middleweight champion Hugo Corro in the opening round also beating JB Williamson, Roldan once fought a 500lb grizzly bear for $10 in Argentina the bear was muzzled and gloved... a fight between Mayorga vs Roldan would not last too long Roldan would have butchered him
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 84,800,761.98
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey malone View Post
very true micky, could you imagine Benn vs Roldan or Jackson vs Roldan - they would have been like "Gunfight at the OK corral"
Old 05-10-2010, 02:46 AM
roxy
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 65 roxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond reputeroxy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,007,658,474,343,862.00
Total Points: 3,007,658,474,346,552.50
1st gift - mangler for you - Marcov dessert - MANGLER here's a cookie - MANGLER deserved - TBear 
Super poster! - jazluvr youre cool - Tha_Greatest another gift - Tha_Greatest Super roxy - jazluvr A gift from the cookie monster.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Thanks - jazluvr enjoy the beer - led Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! thanks man. - speedjay cocktail hour - MANGLER 
Angus burger homey - MANGLER thanks! - -jose- 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - MANGLER Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr 
Autism - !! AI-Holmes!! Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - MANGLER 

I think Rodan was greater even thought Mayorga got "titles". Everybody gets titles now.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 AM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
very true micky, could you imagine Benn vs Roldan or Jackson vs Roldan - they would have been like "Gunfight at the OK corral"
You'd need a few more... Throw in QuincyTaylor, Julian Letterlough, Antwun Echolls, John Mugabe and Fuly Oblajimas.. Would have made for a cracking tournament.. I wonder what sort of odds you would have got for every fight ending inside the limit?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Southpaw Great
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 6 Southpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond reputeSouthpaw Great has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 327,839.95

Just thinking of Roldan vs Benn, scares me.