Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Joe Frazier Underestimate George Foreman In their 1st Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Joe Frazier Underestimate George Foreman In their 1st Fight?

Discuss and debate whether he did or not since he recently had beaten muhammad ali in 1971 in the fight of the century and was also undefeated do you reckon maybe frazier underestimated george foreman since frazier did better against him in their second fight?...

Frazier took a ferocious beating in fight of the century, he very near died, he then took time off with his blues band "The Knockouts" and done a world tour, he fought a couple of fights against fringe contenders but when he met Foreman in Jamaica Frazier was 15lbs overweight compaired to his fight with Ali in 71, Foreman sent Frazier to the canvas 6 times before referee Arthur Mercante called a halt with Frazier on his feet but looking in bad shape.. Frazier was also suffering eyesight problems at that time.

Comment

I think everyone was underestimating Foreman especially against Frazier who just came off winning the Ali, no one could off predicted what happened that night.

Comment

the outcome in 71 wouldnt be much different, frazier was fitter and could have gone maybe 3-4 more rounds.
        at the end foremans power was something out of this world when he was 23, thats why i would pick foreman always over frazier.

Comment

I think foreman was made for a guy like Frazier

People bring up foreman vs tyson and say it would be like the frazier bouts but i disagree.

Tyson was bigger, stronger and faster than Frazier. Overall he was a lot better than Frazier so it would be a interesting match up.

I aint really a fan of fantasy match ups, i prefer looking at fighters accomplishments than a match up between two greats

Comment

It's just a bad stylistic match-up, for Frazier. He was the swarmer and Foreman was the slugger. When someone as powerful as Foreman is the slugger, you don't wanna be the swarmer.

Comment

He might have underestimated him, but Frazier never stood a chance. Foreman hit too hard for his style to work.

Comment

Frazier probably fell victim to reading his own press. At the time no one thought Foreman would win, bookies, sports reporters etc. Foreman was still seen as crude, amateurish and too unproven to beat a seasoned champion like Frazier.

Frazier did do a little better in fight two, but he was at least five years past prime in 1976. In 1973 he wouldn't have envisioned a gameplan that involved the hitting and moving strategy he tried in fight two, and honestly Foreman was too powerful for Joe full stop.

Comment

Glass jaw + great force = disaster

frazier should have continued to duck every puncher that entered the top ten ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Snopkins View Post
                    Glass jaw + great force = disaster

frazier should have continued to duck every puncher that entered the top ten ranking.
                    as crazy as it sounds...there is some truth to your statement......Frazier clearly ducked some of the bigger punchers of his era

Comment

Working...
                    X