Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 12-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Nicky Gambino
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 996.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeManGuy216 View Post
Only one of his fights were fixed and he didn't go down in it, he pretty much dropped his hands and took a beating until the 4th when the ref stopped it.
I say Jake LaMotta is the toughest because he took bad punishment to win his fights especially the Lauraunt Dauthille fight were Dauthille beat him up for 14 rounds until 30 secs before the bell of the final round LaMotta knocked him out.
This is true, LaMotta only threw one fight aginst Billy Fox on 14th November 1947. A quote from Lamotta is as follows:

"The first round, a couple of belts to his head, and I see a glassy look coming over his eyes. Jesus Christ, a couple of jabs and he's going to fall down? I began to panic a little. I was supposed to be throwing a fight to this guy, and it looked like I was going to end up holding him on his feet ... By the fourth round, if there was anybody in the Garden who didn't know what was happening, he must have been dead drunk."

In LaMotta's defence his hands were pretty much tied. If he wanted a title fight it was looking like this was the only way to get it. Boxing was much more corrupt then, with the Mafia at it's peak.

Jake LaMotta for toughest fighter in my opinion, I don't claim to have seen every boxer but this guy was like a train.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Nicky Gambino
Amateur

Total Points: 996.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move BRICKS View Post
Calzaghefffffffff
Calzaghe? Based on what?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:50 PM
BattlingNelson
Battet

Rep Power: 533 BattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond reputeBattlingNelson has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 534,577,839,332,018.00
Total Points: 534,577,839,475,599.44
Congrats... - Spacey1991 stole your gif I liked it too much Bat sorry... - LEFTYGUNZZ my heart beats for Kessler!! - cleaner147 congats on 15,000 posts, you're one of the best !! - JAB5239 good luck in the league, you'll need it :) - El Mustang 
for being a cool poster in history section - led BattlingNelson &amp;gt; LeCrétin - Freedom Fighter A man who has superior boxing knowledge &amp;amp; integrity. - Terry A ATG poster on BoxingScene - rorymac Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
Have one on me ! - BERNIE'S CORNER he was just lucky! - gingeralbino Merry Christmas Bat. I hope you and yours have a wonderful one. - deanrw Jeg giver en omgang - The Slaughter No Message - chiguy91 
I like your unbiased RBRs! - dan_cov Cuz' I'm an old masochist &lt;3 - Grand Champ Happy holidays buddy! - jazluvr &quot;When I'm able to clap, I know she's ready for my dick.&quot; lmao - -jose- For being one of the true &quot;boxing guys&quot; in this place. - Cuauhtémoc1520 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - mangler Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ABOSWORTH Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - S a m u r a i Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - Mr._Pink Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - mangler Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Carnivore Childhood Cancer - mangler Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JM1 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr449 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jazluvr449 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - peyk-peyk World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - peyk-peyk Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - nÔÔb_out_king 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
Battling Nelson. He had the doctors words for being inhuman and couldn't feel pain.
From a biography:

"Despite his condition, Gans had punished Nelson severely in their three bouts. Yet he admitted that while "I hit him blows with which I have knocked out many heavier men ... they had no effect other than to snap Bat's head back. He is simply impervious to punishment." Bat himself liked to gloat, "I ain't human." Doctors who examined him seemed to agree. They were amazed by his "quiet" nervous system, his abnormally low heart beat, his phenomenal recuperative powers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Yes on a good chin & only being knocked down once La motta would be right up there maybe the toughest took some shots off Ray Robinson & a fighter who was very tough was George Chuvalo went in with a lot of the golden era heavies likes of Ali etc but a lightweight is the toughest Battling Nelson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marciano1952 View Post
Battling Nelson also Gets my Vote

Here is an excerpt of the fightreport from the bloodiest LW titlefight ever. The 1910 fight between Battling Nelson (champ) and Ad Wolgast (challenger). It's from The Post Standard. February 23. 1910 and it's a good read:

"Battling Nelson is no longer champion, but the extent of his powers of endurance is still a thing to be guessed at. His fight with Ad Wolgast at Richmond to-day was stopped by Eddie .Smith in the fortieth round at a time 'when Nelson stood upright on his feet. But the referee acted wisely, for in one or two of the rounds before the last Nelson leaned across the ropes in a manner that suggested impending collapse.

His face was punched out of a semblance to a human countenance and great strawberry blotches around his stomach and hips bore testimony to the merciless battering of Wolgast's fists.

Nelson was too feeble to fight on with any hopes of success. Wolgast's eyes were snappy while Nelson's were lusterless. The Dane had lost all sense of distance and direction and could only fling out his arms in a feeble way.

"Telegraphs" Blows,

He "telegraphed" his blows, as the rail "birds of the prize ring say, so that even if he had retained the power to hurt, his intentions were so palpable that his opponent had ample time in which to escape.- The champion was only a punching bag for Wolgast. and to have allowed the thing to continue would have been to incur the risk of fatality.

It could be seen in several rounds before the finish that the referee was on uneasy street, He eyed Nelson closely, especially whenever the man from Hegewisch arose from his leaning positions across the

ropes,, -At the end of the thirty-ninth, which was a particularly severe one for Nelson, Smith took the champion by the elbow and led him to his corner.

There he told both Nelson and those who were handling' him that it looked as though all hope was lost and that the champion had better give up. Nelson shook his head in a -weary, yet determined way, and said:
"Never, never, never." "I'll give you one more chance, Bat, and you' must show me something in this coming round," said Smith, decisively, shaking his forefinger at the bady bruised ring-man huddled In his corner. "If you don't do any better, I'll stop the fight,"

When the gong1 signaled the start o£ the fortieth round Nelson stalked in a heavy footed way toward- Wolgast and began hooking and swinging aimlessly. He was so weak that he disturbed his own balance whenever he lashed out, and Wolgast chuckled as he noted how easy it was to avoid the fast fading world beater.

When Wolgast stepped in. briskly and began to batter his feeble opponent on face and body the wonder was that Nelson did not topple.- Although scarcely able to, raise an arm, the durable Dane stood as straight as "Files on parade," even while Wolgast smashed him full sore on the face.

Dane's Spirit Unbroken.

After Wolgast had driven two extra heavy right handers against Nelson's badly puffed lips Smith jumped quickly between the men and brought it to an end right then and there. He grasped Wolgast's blood- soaked glove and raised it aloft, the orthodox pugilistic way of declaring a winner.

Nelson was loath to quit. He laid his hand on Wolgast's shoulder to attract his opponent's attention, and then raised his hands feebly to the fighting position. It was an invitation to continue and the terribly battered lightweight meant it. Wolgast only grinned and drew away from -the man he had fairly beaten, and then Nelson's seconds interfered."
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
MarkScott
Contender

Rep Power: 6 MarkScott has a spectacular aura aboutMarkScott has a spectacular aura aboutMarkScott has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 2,443.72

Joe Grimm
Battling Nelson