16 good age for boxing? - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 05-12-2005, 10:36 PM #1
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 215,437.00
Send a message via AIM to Tony Blitz
Default 16 good age for boxing?

I've been a fan of the sport for quite some time, although I don't catch it on HBO since I don't have it, I watch the replays when I can and download a bunch of boxing matches. I'd really like to go into the sport but I was wondering, is 16 a decent enough age to start? Will I start becoming skilled when I'm in the "old age" for boxing and not have a good future in it? I don't want to start now (I'm 15) because I'd like to train on my own first and teach myself/be in good health before I go into serious boxing. Also I'm worried about stunting my growth with weight lifting now because I'm only 5'8 and a half and would like to be a decent height for middleweight/light heavyweight so I'd rather start the weight lifting at 16 when it wouldn't stunt. Thanks in advance.
Tony Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-12-2005, 10:53 PM #2
Promiscuous Protestah

spinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 27,657.93
Total Points: 20,210,937.29
Send a message via AIM to spinksjinx

It isnt really ever to late to start as long as you are determined but it can be a factor.

It really depends on what you want to make out of it and how far you will drive yourself.

I started when I was 19 getting myself and shape and I really started when I turned 20, I am 20 now but I am only doing for it personal satisfaction and dont plan on going further than amateur.
spinksjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 PM #3
Banned

Tony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond reputeTony Blitz has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really like to take it further than amateur, it is something I'd really love to do.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:21 PM #4
Promiscuous Protestah

spinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond reputespinksjinx has a reputation beyond repute

Then start and learn the basics now, no time to stall.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 PM #5
Contender

Gattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 21,830.57

i learnd the basics in like a month in a half. All i need to do now is to lose weight. Good luck and dont give up. Iam your age too and have the same thought on boxing. Only sport i love
Gattz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:29 PM #6
Promiscuous Protestah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gattz187
i learnd the basics in like a month in a half. All i need to do now is to lose weight. Good luck and dont give up. Iam your age too and have the same thought on boxing. Only sport i love

The good thing with boxing is that you can learn the basics and while learning the weight will come off.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:34 PM #7
Contender

Gattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond reputeGattz187 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 21,830.57

all i need to do is keep a steady pace. I spar with my brother for 5 three mintue rounds with 16 oz gloves. A work out it is. I have to say i learned a lot since i started. Taking a punch, Blocking, combonations. But the most improved thing is my jab
Gattz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:35 PM #8
Banned

I have the power and speed for boxing but I need the stamina and endurance first. I need to drop some pounds first then I'm going to go into it, thanks for the thoughts guys.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 PM #9
Promiscuous Protestah

Gattz-Sparring is really good even if it is with your brother or anybody it calms your nerves and relaxes you when you go at it with other people as you are comfortable at coming forward and hitting other people. I know outside of the ring I am like man I dont want to hurt this guy he is cool we shoot the **** and hang out but when I step in I feel like an animal.

Also another thing I like about sparring is that when I am shadowboxing and working the bags I dont get much footwork in and if I spar I can work on my footwork. I am very light on my feet and like to bounce around and pop out my jab and jump and crouch in with body combinations and bounce back out and work on the outside. Sometimes though if I cant spar I will just bounce around and work on my movement.

Blitz-Sprints and plyometrics are great exercises to help you out also jogs with 30 second sprints every mile is great as well.

I wish I had better speed, I am a 112-118 when I have a fight and at age 20 at that weight I know I am slowing, which is why I know I am limited especially at my age and my weight. Most of the guys at my weight are fast.

Last edited by spinksjinx; 05-12-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:38 AM #10
Contender

dionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond reputedionysusolympus has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 25,479.00

I think 16 is a good age to start boxing. I wish I had started boxing earlier, but other things were taking up my time. Anyhow, it's a good, hard physical activity and teaches you self-discipline and a whole lot of heart/will to pull through some of it.
dionysusolympus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

User Tag List