Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,546,021.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 
Default Was Larry Holmes made bitter by the lack of respect

Was Larry Holmes made bitter by the lack of respect he got or would he have always been outspoken and and bitter regardless?

I get the feeling Larry would of loved to have been embraced and that he wouldn't of been as outspoken as he was if he had gotten his props that he deserved from the get go.

I think it made him bitter but by the same token i guess you could say it also drove him onto be great.

What do you think?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
CarlosG815
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 CarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond reputeCarlosG815 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,252,362,816,766.53
Total Points: 2,252,860,877,241.85
Have a beer. - Barnburner Have some. - Hara No Message - JAB5239 

I think some people are just like that.

Look at Paul Malignaggi. That guy gets more props than he even deserves and he never shuts up.

Joe Frazier was the same way and he got a lot of respect his entire career.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Jim Jeffries
rugged individualist

Rep Power: 88 Jim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Jeffries has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 51,314,060,567,690.45
Total Points: 51,314,062,332,202.84
U.S.A. Forever!!!!!!! - Mike Tyson77 Have a brew with your boy Pea, Jim.... - Shin Akuma have a gift.. - Miyagi To a very intelligent poster! - abosworth Republican Jockholder - alfonso13702 
merry xmas - msagrain Happy 10K Posts - Golden Boy 360 congrats on 10K jim...cheers - Makavelli 10,000!! - tyson 10k! - Equilibrium 
Too bad it ain't Cotto's Schlong!! - chicano79us Preach on!!! - -veteran420- have some san miguel - Akinapepemo have some san miguel - Akinapepemo yeah - BoxingTech718 
You get the Glen Beck award. Thanks for having my back brother - Mike Tyson77 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy Holidays  Jim.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* Sorry you're asian and ugly.  This will make you feel better. - robust_ 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr._Pink World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - street bully AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - codey 

Holmes and Mayweather Jr both learned the hard way that crapping on ATGs is not the way to garner respect from fans.

Larry gets plenty of respect these days though, most people have then in or near their top 5 ATG HW list, and consider him to have possessed the greatest jab in HW history.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM
mhager91490
Contender

Rep Power: 6 mhager91490 will become famous soon enoughmhager91490 will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 48,233.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
Was Larry Holmes made bitter by the lack of respect he got or would he have always been outspoken and and bitter regardless?

I get the feeling Larry would of loved to have been embraced and that he wouldn't of been as outspoken as he was if he had gotten his props that he deserved from the get go.

I think it made him bitter but by the same token i guess you could say it also drove him onto be great.

What do you think?
I think that you're probably right, people didn't view his beating of Ali as a passing the torch moment, they seemed to think he was stealing it, a lot of people weren't ready to see their hero leave and Larry basically forced him out. I've always enjoyed Larry's style, more-so than Ali in all honesty but he wasn't as marketable as Ali, came along at the wrong time, beat the wrong guy to be on top and just wasn't as dominant a performer as Ali much of the time.

The only problem I have is with some of his fans, they relate the negative stigma he got during his career as an excuse to say that he is underrated. I have never understood how someone who is almost universilly rated in HW top tens, mostly in the top 5 is underrated.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 AM
JAB5239
Banned

Rep Power: 0 JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 19,946,911,790,948.20
Total Points: 19,946,911,887,104.65
For giving me a chance to learn from the best. - DWiens421 For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler 
Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage 
for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj 
To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:

What do you think?

Holmes would have always been outspoken in my opinion. I didn't like a lot of things he said but he never came of as a phony to me. He didn't just say things to get attention. I can respect that, he was real. I do agree some of that bitterness drove him to be a great fighter though. He was never willing to just lay down.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:54 AM
miron_lang
Banned

Rep Power: 14435 miron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond reputemiron_lang has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 161,102,956,069,088.97
Total Points: 1,161,103,359,418,949.75
grazie for the poinst! - steelhead pareng miron can i borrow your rep once. i want to turn macho madness green. - Left Hook Tua ban the 3k battery guy in pacland. i wanna make an account with that name! :-) - Left Hook Tua Thanks for the green k - danc1984 Salamat sa green k bossing - Makavelli 
No Message - withoutthee8 Officer RiZO reporting for duty, sir! - ЯiZO No Message - Mr._Pink (y) - Palokaj happy holidays - led 
Happy New Year! - jazluvr sending gifts to friends today - serv No Message - Tha_Greatest Happy holidays bro! - led* 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mangler Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Mr._Pink Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Akinapepemo Gay and Lesbian Pride - frankenfrank 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post

Holmes would have always been outspoken in my opinion. I didn't like a lot of things he said but he never came of as a phony to me. He didn't just say things to get attention. I can respect that, he was real. I do agree some of that bitterness drove him to be a great fighter though. He was never willing to just lay down.
As a kid. I hated Holmes for beating Ali. Ive always rooted againts him and was really dissapointed when he kayoed Cooney.

Now I realize that he's one the Great Heavyweights of all time. So many title defenses. TOP 5 at least of all time definitely at Heavy. Only Ali and Louis are clearly ahead of him.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Ray*
BILLY RAY* CYRUS JR

Rep Power: 59 Ray* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond reputeRay* has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 408,520,615,621,833.62
Total Points: 408,520,615,729,382.19
Let's just say it's a smokescreen. - BattlingNelson an apple a day, ray - for being one of the most consistently sound guys here, someone i can agree with even when i disagree - Man In Black Cool cat, good poster - mangler Sorry dude! - S a m u r a i Excellent poster - ADDICT 
Took a while for this to be available mate! - Tamis_Siensya Ray* deserves a kick - Freedom. have a slice - sugarsmosley 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Mr._Pink Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - S a m u r a i Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - S a m u r a i Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - S a m u r a i Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - S a m u r a i 
Childhood Cancer - S a m u r a i 

Holmes came in at the wrong time, He came when all the top guys in the 70's were going out and the problem was people didnt give much respect to the next generation coming through, He was bitter in a way because of that, He felt he could have compete and beat all those guys in their prime and in a way i think he would have compete with them.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:26 AM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,546,021.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhager91490 View Post
I think that you're probably right, people didn't view his beating of Ali as a passing the torch moment, they seemed to think he was stealing it, a lot of people weren't ready to see their hero leave and Larry basically forced him out. I've always enjoyed Larry's style, more-so than Ali in all honesty but he wasn't as marketable as Ali, came along at the wrong time, beat the wrong guy to be on top and just wasn't as dominant a performer as Ali much of the time.

The only problem I have is with some of his fans, they relate the negative stigma he got during his career as an excuse to say that he is underrated. I have never understood how someone who is almost universilly rated in HW top tens, mostly in the top 5 is underrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post

Holmes would have always been outspoken in my opinion. I didn't like a lot of things he said but he never came of as a phony to me. He didn't just say things to get attention. I can respect that, he was real. I do agree some of that bitterness drove him to be a great fighter though.He was never willing to just lay down.
That was an excellent was of putting it mhager91490.

Thats the thing i admired most about Larry Holmes JAB5239, if you were gonna beat him you would have to rip the title from him. I think there is something to be said for guys that earn what they have got instead of these fighters that get it given to them.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 AM
BritishBoxing92
___

Bank: 7,441,071,474.29
Total Points: 7,441,261,791.24
burner is a muppet - Red October We dont talk about fight club... - kaps paki pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Congo Cash paki pride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Congo Cash Born To Run - The Beatles 
Iron Mike Tyson - The Beatles Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles To drown your sorrows when Liverpool beat Man U :D - Mersey chat crew - project xxx1 Shake it down. - S H A R K B O Y 
Good Poster - Dorian Heres some cake son - -Kevin- great guy - Old Coward , a bottle so you can hit someone with it or throw it at a idiot, thanks homie - Tha_Greatest Squealpiggy sent me this , he wanted me to be his boyfreind but i rejected his gay ass,  hold on to these so i can burn them later, homie, thanks homie - Tha_Greatest 
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier have a bigmac - Grand Champ Great member of boxingscene, always be a good buddie of mine. - Dorian.. No Message - BritishBoxing92 Caffe latte for my boiiiii - Law 15 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Gift Giver Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Red October Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Freedom Fighter Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Erik. AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - DorianWozniacki 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Dorian.. Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - BritishBoxing92 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - BritishBoxing92 Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - BritishBoxing92 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - BritishBoxing92 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - BritishBoxing92 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BritishBoxing92 
Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - BritishBoxing92 Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - BritishBoxing92 Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - BritishBoxing92 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - BritishBoxing92 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - BritishBoxing92 

Quote:

What do you think?
larry holmes is very underrated...people didnt like him because he beat muhammad ali not even on points....the fight had to be stopped at the 11th round when the bell went...plus him and ali were sparring partners but holmes wanted to make it to the big time...people also forget that Holmes beat guys like George Cooney and Earnie Shavers..
Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 AM
bojangles1987
bo jungle

Rep Power: 125 bojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond reputebojangles1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,951,963,163,740.86
Total Points: 4,228,963,499,972.65
Thought ya could use a drink.. - romebyko For your triangle theory sig - rorymac merry xmas. - Ether Awesome sig... Love me some Breaking Bad. - Burning Phoenix that triangle theories sig haha - Alx. 
it takes courage just to agree to donate an organ to someone :fing02: - jose830 thanks for the update - jose830 Thanks for the video of Bradley-Provodnikov - kennylimon Cotto looked rejuvenated out there - -jose- for an atg poster! - jas 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Childhood Cancer - jas 

Larry Holmes had the unfortunate spot of following up Muhammad Ali, and no matter who that had been they would have faced constant comparison. Holmes wasn't as good as Ali, and the guy I'm sure heard it all the time.