Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-06-2005, 03:54 AM
Fistof Fury
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,276.00
Default Hearns vs Hagler

I'm a great fan of the fabulous four during the 80's. It was one of the greatest eras of boxing and meant a lot to me as that's when I was growing up and those fighters were the ones that inspired me to fight.

I was just watching this fight again. Every time I see it I hope Hearns will pull something out of the bag and knock Hagler out. The first round was amazing and one of the most vicious and exciting clashes I have seen.

I heard recently that Hearns claimed that he broke his hand in that first round. Anyone know if this is true?

It does seem that after that initial burst he appeared to back off a little in terms of his ferocity and his punch power.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-06-2005, 04:18 AM
M26
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 11 M26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 15,589.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistof Fury
I'm a great fan of the fabulous four during the 80's. It was one of the greatest eras of boxing and meant a lot to me as that's when I was growing up and those fighters were the ones that inspired me to fight.

I was just watching this fight again. Every time I see it I hope Hearns will pull something out of the bag and knock Hagler out. The first round was amazing and one of the most vicious and exciting clashes I have seen.

I heard recently that Hearns claimed that he broke his hand in that first round. Anyone know if this is true?

It does seem that after that initial burst he appeared to back off a little in terms of his ferocity and his punch power.
First of, welcome to BoxingScene! And yes, Hearns did break his hand during that first round. It takes one tough sob to keep on fighting after that. Still, I donīt think he would have beaten Hagler had his hand not broken.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Fistof Fury
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by M26
First of, welcome to BoxingScene! And yes, Hearns did break his hand during that first round. It takes one tough sob to keep on fighting after that. Still, I donīt think he would have beaten Hagler had his hand not broken.
Thanks!

I don't know, it was clear that Hagler came into that fight thinking that he could take out Hearns with a flurry of powerful punches early on. But Hearns gave as good as he got.

The broken hand would certainly have played a big part in many ways, not to mention the agonising pain. If his hand had not been broken I think he would have beaten Hagler. The way that he previously destroyed Duran showed that could knock out tough fighters -you don't get much tougher than Duran!
Old 05-06-2005, 12:23 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,635,992.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistof Fury
Thanks!

I don't know, it was clear that Hagler came into that fight thinking that he could take out Hearns with a flurry of powerful punches early on. But Hearns gave as good as he got.

The broken hand would certainly have played a big part in many ways, not to mention the agonising pain. If his hand had not been broken I think he would have beaten Hagler. The way that he previously destroyed Duran showed that could knock out tough fighters -you don't get much tougher than Duran!

Hagler, lb4lb, took a better punch than Duran did.....then you throw in the fact that he was a 160lber.
Hearns could KO Duran, but would never come close to KOing Hagler.
Those who say "Hearns almost KO'd Hagler" are engaging in serious hyperbole. He stunned Hagler, at best, & only briefly.

As for the hand.....Everyone hurt their hands on Hagler. You hit a rock of a human with your best shot, something's gotta break...& it wasn't gonna be Hagler.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:49 PM
m00ks
The Human Keg

Rep Power: 595 m00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,706,920.08
Total Points: 2,762,433.59

What were Hearns chances of outboxing Hagler for 12 rounds?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
jabsRstiff
! ! ! !

Rep Power: 4032 jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 123,155,625,418.64
Total Points: 123,155,635,992.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks

Contrary to some popular belief....Hearns did not come & trade with Hagler. Hagler was all over him like no one else in history. If Hearns didn't want to get eaten alive in that very first round, he had no choice but to fire back.
Everyone needs to watch it again.

Hearns could not hold off Hagler for twelve rds.. Not ever.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Fistof Fury
Amateur

Quote:
Agreed that would never happen. Hagler was just too strong with greater stamina. Hearns legs wouldn't last that long.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
czars_salad
pinoy sniper

Rep Power: 3211 czars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond reputeczars_salad has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 72,496.01
Total Points: 161,248.49

Quote:
he would not only break his hands, but also his nose, his chin, and his legs. hagler was just too much for hearns
Old 05-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Fistof Fury
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsRstiff
Hagler, lb4lb, took a better punch than Duran did.....then you throw in the fact that he was a 160lber.
Hearns could KO Duran, but would never come close to KOing Hagler.
Those who say "Hearns almost KO'd Hagler" are engaging in serious hyperbole. He stunned Hagler, at best, & only briefly.

As for the hand.....Everyone hurt their hands on Hagler. You hit a rock of a human with your best shot, something's gotta break...& it wasn't gonna be Hagler.
I have to agree that Hagler was hard as rock and wasn't troubled by many hard punchers of the time. But by no means invincible. He had been knocked down just the year before by someone (can't remember who). Hearns right was a powerful punch. He obviously didn't nearly KO him, but I think if he had continued to 'stun' him the way he was doing, then you never know what would have happened in those early rounds.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:31 PM
The Troll
LEGACY-FLOYD OSCAR II

Rep Power: 7570 The Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 199,282.15

Hagler vs Minter, the fight where Hagler won the middleweight title was a great abreviate slugfest too, except the ending kinda sucks, I wont say why.