Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 11-30-2004, 02:29 PM
roXy graziano
Get yer tits out

Rep Power: 19 roXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 27,496.00
Default Jewish greats

hey I'm new to this forum I'm tryin to get a list of all the Jews who held titles from about the turn of the century to the late 30's, you know like Barney Ross and Abe Attell. Anyway, I got a list, I think I'm missin one or two though is anyone knows of any I'm missin I'd really appreciate it!!!

The Gold Star Champs
Abe Attell
Abe Goldstein
Al McCoy
Al "The Bronx Beauty" Singer
Ben Jeby
Barney Ross
Battling Levinsky
Benny Bass
Benny Leonard
Bob Olin
Charley Rosenberg
Harry Lewis
Harry Harris
Izzy Shwartz
Jack Bernstein
Jackie Berg
Jackie Fields
Louis "Kid" Kaplan
Maxie Rosenbloom
Monte Attell
Mushy Callahan
Pinky Silverberg
Solly Kreiger
Ted "Kid" Lewis
Victor Perez
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 11-30-2004, 05:08 PM
No-Mas
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 No-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,904.00

What about Heavyweight champ Max Baer?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:34 PM
plexmc
Banned

Rep Power: 0 plexmc is a splendid one to beholdplexmc is a splendid one to beholdplexmc is a splendid one to beholdplexmc is a splendid one to beholdplexmc is a splendid one to beholdplexmc is a splendid one to beholdplexmc is a splendid one to behold
Total Points: 12,813.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Mas
What about Heavyweight champ Max Baer?
I feel u on that
Old 11-30-2004, 05:40 PM
roXy graziano
Get yer tits out

Rep Power: 19 roXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond reputeroXy graziano has a reputation beyond repute

I read this thing though, apparently it's a myth that he was Jewish. I just posted this story in another thread read it though, not sure if anyone'll get it though:

Contrary to popular opinion, one of the more popular heavyweights, Max Baer, was not Jewish, boxing historians say. Lawrence S. Ritter, author of "East Side, West Side," a chronicle of forgotten sporting clubs in New York, tells in the book of a time when Baer was in a gym hitting a heavy bag on Yom Kippur.

"What are you doing?" a reporter asked Baer, confused.

"Getting ready to fight Primo Carnera," he said.

"What about Yom Kippur?"

"I'll fight him next!" Baer replied
Old 11-30-2004, 09:47 PM
No-Mas
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 No-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond reputeNo-Mas has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard that Max Baer was not Jewish.

That story you related ("Yom Kippur...I'll fight him next") is emblematic of Mr. Baer's sense of humor. That story is probably true, but it doesn't reveal that Baer was not Jewish, it reveals a bit about Baer's personality - nothing serious, life is a ball, make a joke every chance I get.

Roxy, watch one of Baer's fights -- on his fighting trunks Baer wore the biggest Star of David you will ever see. You explain to me why that was there. Also, his fight against Schmeling was seen as the Jew vs. the Nazi.

Maybe Max might have been half-Jewish (I don't know), but Mr. Max Baer was a hell of a lot more Jewish than the Pope (that I'm certain of).
Old 11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
roXy graziano
Get yer tits out

na I wasn't saying the story was evidence of him not being Jewish, what I've heard is that his father was Jewish which would make him a gentile.

In the crazy Jew world you're only Jewish if your mother is Jewish, weather you are religiously Jewish or not. That's why, Mike Rossman had a gentile father and a Jewish mother so he was Jewish. Had it been reversed he wouldn't be Jewish

Maybe I have it wrong maybe Baer did have a Jewish mother I dunno I've just always heard that it was really that he only had a Jewish father
Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 PM
No-Mas
Up and Comer

Roxy, I'll take your word that Baer might have been half-Jewish. Whether his mother was Jewish or his father was Jewish, Max Baer sure felt he was Jewish -- that Star of David he wore on his shorts could be seen a mile away. Max Baer was definitely proud of his roots.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:20 PM
roXy graziano
Get yer tits out

na I don't doubt it for a second. Technically, I'm only half-Jewish (my father is Italian), I lucked out havin a Jewish mother, lots of Jews give me crap sayin I'm not a real Jew because I don't have two Jewish parents. Same way I'm half Italian and couldn't be prouder of my roots either way.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Fat Shamz
Phatter than ya mumma!

Rep Power: 107 Fat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond reputeFat Shamz has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 38,296.78
Send a message via MSN to Fat Shamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roXy graziano
hey I'm new to this forum I'm tryin to get a list of all the Jews who held titles from about the turn of the century to the late 30's, you know like Barney Ross and Abe Attell. Anyway, I got a list, I think I'm missin one or two though is anyone knows of any I'm missin I'd really appreciate it!!!

The Gold Star Champs
Abe Attell
Abe Goldstein
Al McCoy
Al "The Bronx Beauty" Singer
Ben Jeby
Barney Ross
Battling Levinsky
Benny Bass
Benny Leonard
Bob Olin
Charley Rosenberg
Harry Lewis
Harry Harris
Izzy Shwartz
Jack Bernstein
Jackie Berg
Jackie Fields
Louis "Kid" Kaplan
Maxie Rosenbloom
Monte Attell
Mushy Callahan
Pinky Silverberg
Solly Kreiger
Ted "Kid" Lewis
Victor Perez
your missing bob schneider, altho he wasnt considered a "great" he wasnt that bad, won canada the gold in mens boxing in 1920 olympics in belgium
Old 12-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 113 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 147,788.98
Total Points: 270,466.03

According to fighters who shared locker rooms with him, he was definitely NOT Jewish. I don't think I need to go into further detail.