Who Should Be Remembered As The Greater Fighter, Dick Tiger Or Joe Calzaghe? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM
cotto16
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13 cotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,825.20
Total Points: 1,502,229.75
Default Who Should Be Remembered As The Greater Fighter, Dick Tiger Or Joe Calzaghe?

Well? Who do you think was the greater fighter? Also give your reason behind you pick.....
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-15-2010, 03:04 PM
DeepSleep
Hookin' With Hookers

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10 DeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond reputeDeepSleep has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,661,972.72
Total Points: 1,663,532.29
thanks agian.... - supRa 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - supRa 

Joe Calzaghe isn't in Dick Tiger's league. Dick Tiger fought legit competition and has wins over great fighters. Joe Calzaghe has a few good wins but not one win over a great opponent (fighting Hopkins and Jones when their old enough to join AARP doesn't count.).

Last edited by DeepSleep; 01-15-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Obama
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 120 Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 78,202,688,712,025.19
Total Points: 78,202,692,740,932.66
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Tiger was undisputed MW and LHW Champion in an era of great fighters, which he fought and defeated.

Joe Calzaghe fought in the SMW division of an era of a great MW (Hopkins) and LHW (Jones), with some other pretty solid competition at SMW (Ottke) and LHW (Dariusz M, Glen Johnson, Antonio Tarver) that he never faced. Calzaghe holds claim to a record amount of title defenses at SMW, but they were of the WBO title, which for many of his defenses was not recognized.

But then again I guess that's the price of being undefeated. Tiger only edges Calzaghe because he did in fact have a sizable amount of losses to go along with his great wins.

Last edited by Obama; 01-15-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:56 PM
HaglerSteelChin
Self-Exiled

Rep Power: 12 HaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond reputeHaglerSteelChin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,806,787.05
Total Points: 44,965,485.01
gizmo - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin No Message - HaglerSteelChin right back at you girly man - E.P.T. sleep on this while you think about Hagler - E.P.T. 
Cheers, thanks for the gesture - A-Wolf 

I like Calzaghe and do think he is an ATG unlike many haters at NSB. But he is not close to Dick Tiger. Tiger was Fighter of year twice and beat hall of fame fighters as Fullmer, Torres, Griffith, Giardello, and Benveneti. He does have alot of losses but to top guys like Bob Foster.

Calzaghe beat Eubank when he was past his prime-not nowhere the same when he beat Nigel Benn. Calzaghe barely beat fighters as Reid, Brewer, and Bako(sp?). He never faced Collins and Benn(who was little before his time). Nonetheless, he did beat Lacy and Kessler when they were undefeated. People may say they are overrated but a fighter who is unbeaten has alot of confidence until that first lost. He stayed only with the WBO SMW title for many years but still to make all those defenses without a lost is something that should be appreciated. He was able also to move up in weight and beat BHOP- something that Kelly Pavlik didn't even come close to doing. I do think Calzaghe is still is barely top 100 and Tiger top 70.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 PM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 17 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,008,652.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
I like Calzaghe and do think he is an ATG unlike many haters at NSB. But he is not close to Dick Tiger. Tiger was Fighter of year twice and beat hall of fame fighters as Fullmer, Torres, Griffith, Giardello, and Benveneti. He does have alot of losses but to top guys like Bob Foster.

Calzaghe beat Eubank when he was past his prime-not nowhere the same when he beat Nigel Benn. Calzaghe barely beat fighters as Reid, Brewer, and Bako(sp?). He never faced Collins and Benn(who was little before his time). Nonetheless, he did beat Lacy and Kessler when they were undefeated. People may say they are overrated but a fighter who is unbeaten has alot of confidence until that first lost. He stayed only with the WBO SMW title for many years but still to make all those defenses without a lost is something that should be appreciated. He was able also to move up in weight and beat BHOP- something that Kelly Pavlik didn't even come close to doing. I do think Calzaghe is still is barely top 100 and Tiger top 70.
Sound account!.. Nice to see a well balanced post without predudice..
I also agree with where you rate them..

I do get bored of people saying the wins against B/Hop & RJJ don't count, simply because Hopkins was 40 something and Jones was 39..
Calzaghe was 35 with 2 broken hands..

Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,067,358.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post

Pretty much go along with you on that.
Tricky one for me this as I think Calzaghe was a good fighter and doesn't deserve the stick he gets on here but Tiger was a real favourite of mine.
Tiger had a spotty record but on his day was a fight for anyone, for my money the best Tiger would beat Calzaghe.

Share This With Friends

Tags
calzaghe?, dick, fighter, greater, remembered, tiger

User Tag List