Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 01-11-2010, 12:49 AM
danny13
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 0 danny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud ofdanny13 has much to be proud of
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 47,561.93
Default Am I too old to box?

I am 32 year old attorney who is really interested in boxing and really dissappointed that I developed the love for it so late in life. I was an excellent athlete when I was younger and could have really excelled in boxing. Is it too late? I am training really hard right now and hope to have my first amateur fight this summer. I do have a trainer and am in really good shape and working hard. What do you guys think? Right now I weigh 170, but I can get down to 152, which is where I would like to fight. I am 5-9.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 AM
jmc617
Contender

Rep Power: 7 jmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond reputejmc617 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 44,921.54
Thanks for fight, have a roast beef sandwich :) - Mighty_Windir 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny13 View Post
I am 32 year old attorney who is really interested in boxing and really dissappointed that I developed the love for it so late in life. I was an excellent athlete when I was younger and could have really excelled in boxing. Is it too late? I am training really hard right now and hope to have my first amateur fight this summer. I do have a trainer and am in really good shape and working hard. What do you guys think? Right now I weigh 170, but I can get down to 152, which is where I would like to fight. I am 5-9.
http://www.boxpres.com/?p=6932

Here is another one http://www.boxpres.com/?p=6985

Does that answer your question?

I just did an office survey for a blind attorney working for jp morgan. He was the lead over five other attorney's and it was shocking I didn't even know he was blind until his secretary mentioned it about 15 minutes into our conversation. He would pull cd's out of his drawer and documents out of folders without missing a beat. It was amazing I was in awe for the rest of the day.

Last edited by jmc617; 01-11-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 AM
John Hue
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 John Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Hue has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 58,516.59
Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Dick Buffman 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny13 View Post
If you are in good condition with a good trainer and have good coordination it is not too late to learn to box. Work on technique and form mindfully and do things properly and don't just bang away on the heavy bag with bad form ingraining bad habits. Look to get each technique down and own it . Work on footwork and not getting hit,very few do this but make it your priority. Very few amateurs have good technique despite doing it for years. I see it all the time down the gym.Use your maturity to your advantage by working smart. After giving it your best shot you will be in a different place and at a point where you can answer your own question. At the worst you will be fitter ,stronger and a more complete fighter than you are right now . Go for it.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 AM
One more round
GGG make toney good boy

Rep Power: 13 One more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond reputeOne more round has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 49,354.31
Total Points: 10,012,770,563.23
one of the worst posters in the history of boxingscene - Freedom2014 Easily the worst member of NSB - Red Cyclone to make yourself look pretty for LacedUp - Weltschmerz sit on this, fanboy. then do your homework little piss ant - Weltschmerz suck it slut - Weltschmerz 
suck biatch - Rammstein pop some bottles m8 - sugarsmosley Calm down babe - dan_cov 

You are still young enough to have a few amateur fights and maybe even have a crack at the pro game after some amateur experience.

Keep training and get some fights as soon as you are ready. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:23 AM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,556,126,920.71
Total Points: 7,757,265,224.11
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

it doesnt really matter when you start, just take it seriously..study the game..and you will get skill.

some people have boxed for 10 years and learned all that they think there is to know in the first couple weeks. Basically, they never progressed.

Glen Johnson started when he was almost 20 years of age.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 AM
kill4
Contender

Total Points: 5,711.72

I think you will know after a couple fights, **** it, what you got to lose? Give it a try.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 AM
Panchito
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 Panchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond reputePanchito has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 133,561.10

I say go for it!

I'm a few years younger than you, but I was in the same situation. But decided not to compete because I'm really close to finishing school. I still train, go to the gym, run when I have the chance. But having a black eye or busted lip on the job is just not a good look, don't have that kind of time to dedicate. It's getting hard for me to lose weight as well, genetics. Love boxing, learning and training still.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 AM
lanigav
Thug life sons...

Rep Power: 30 lanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond reputelanigav has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 18,285,067.77
Total Points: 23,751,596.02
di bwoy run fi real because him dont even release a new tune fi attack di barba bwoy dont run song but him busy a do di international thing, Kartel caan go to America - siablo14 Lunch on me for bein a quality poster homey - mangler Trashy Patty's Day Clottey - mangler Good poster.  You got so many beers I thought I should contribute to killing you through alcohol poisoning. - street bully cuz every time I see your Clottey sig it cracks me up - poontango 
mah dude....first round's on me - Makavelli i dont know what i did to get all these gifts but here's a medal - Makavelli Its a ehhh.... Margarita - K-Nan Michael Jordan ATG - Ch@mpBox@PR Sr. thanks for the green k man - Akinapepemo 
Great Poster - Dorian thank you sir - Makavelli thanks alot my man. - MELLY-MEL... No Message - -veteran420- top poster - MARKBNLV 
i owe you a beer - Makavelli Good poster Jewshua - -Bloody KJ- =] - -Kevin- heres some pop corn for you to eat while you watch joshua clottey tek pounches.. - BritishBoxing92 have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ABOSWORTH Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - ABOSWORTH Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Michael Jordan Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Michael Jordan 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Michael Jordan AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - shobox 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Head and Neck Cancer - -Kevin- Head and Neck Cancer - Mangler Jewnior 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Nemisis Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Bollocks Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Manglerito 

There is no such thing as "too old".
Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Johnni G
Up and Comer

Total Points: 1,251.28

Go for it dude
Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Equinox
Undisputed Champion

Total Points: 216,867.57

not too late if you work hard enough, learn, and take care of your body. you can be a bernard hopkins.