Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
BrazJJ
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 BrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,119.00
Default Marciano VS More Recent Heavyweights

Like I've said in another reply, saying that fighters of old would actually lose to the fighters today seems to be blasphemy in boxing. I respect Marciano. I respect his record, his punching power, his heart, etc., etc..

But lets face it. Marciano - at 185 pounds - simply wouldn't have been able to last with the likes of Ali, Tyson, Tua, Foreman, or Lewis. There's a point where simple physics would take over. At his size, Marciano simply would not have been able to withstand the punishment from these guys.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 113 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,971.55
Total Points: 287,967.60

Braz,

This thing has been fought to death and just the idea of bringing it up again gives me a headache. There are people from both sides of the argument that are willing to fiercely defend their side and no one ever really yields or learns anything new in these debates.

Until the day we invent the time machine, we'll never really know. That's the best answer you're going to get.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:12 PM
BrazJJ
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 BrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond reputeBrazJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 13,119.00

I bet it has. Bare with me, though. I'm new and just trying to start conversation. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
franker01
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 franker01 has a spectacular aura aboutfranker01 has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 12,085.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazJJ
Like I've said in another reply, saying that fighters of old would actually lose to the fighters today seems to be blasphemy in boxing. I respect Marciano. I respect his record, his punching power, his heart, etc., etc..

But lets face it. Marciano - at 185 pounds - simply wouldn't have been able to last with the likes of Ali, Tyson, Tua, Foreman, or Lewis. There's a point where simple physics would take over. At his size, Marciano simply would not have been able to withstand the punishment from these guys.
I've seen this point made time and time again and I question it for the following reasons:

Mike Tyson was roughly the same height and probably the same frame as Marciano but I think we all agree he had a lot less heart and chin. Would Tyson in his prime have had a lot of trouble with today's big heavyweights?

Have you seen Marciano's physique? He was built that way before steroids, supplements, modern training techniques, modern nutrition. etc.

Is there reason to believe that a modern Marciano would not be bulked up to 200 or 210 or 220? (Or, conversely, placed back in time wouldn't today's big heavys weigh 20 to 40 pounds less?}

And do you really think that a fighter with the heart and skills of Marciano weighing in at 210 plus would have a lot to fear from the guys you mention?

I don't think so.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:57 PM
The Troll
LEGACY-FLOYD OSCAR II

Rep Power: 7570 The Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond reputeThe Troll has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 191,977.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by franker01
I've seen this point made time and time again and I question it for the following reasons:

Mike Tyson was roughly the same height and probably the same frame as Marciano but I think we all agree he had a lot less heart and chin. Would Tyson in his prime have had a lot of trouble with today's big heavyweights?

Have you seen Marciano's physique? He was built that way before steroids, supplements, modern training techniques, modern nutrition. etc.

Is there reason to believe that a modern Marciano would not be bulked up to 200 or 210 or 220? (Or, conversely, placed back in time wouldn't today's big heavys weigh 20 to 40 pounds less?}

And do you really think that a fighter with the heart and skills of Marciano weighing in at 210 plus would have a lot to fear from the guys you mention?

I don't think so.
So what if Marciano was 185 190, Holyfield did not weight more than that for a period at heavyweight he is no doubt one of the most successfull boxers of the early 90's and late 80's. And Mike Tyson when in perfect condition weighs in at 216, So Marciano is not that small when compare him to 2 of the most dominant heavyweights in recent history. Being smaller was something of an advantage in the days of 15 rounds. Maciano's low weight is what gave him the stamina to bang and attack and plod for 15 rounds. Its more of an advantage to be bigger now that fights are only 12 rounds. If Marciano fought today he would probably put on 20 pounds.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:09 PM
franker01
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 franker01 has a spectacular aura aboutfranker01 has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 12,085.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay
So what if Marciano was 185 190, Holyfield did not weight more than that for a period at heavyweight he is no doubt one of the most successfull boxers of the early 90's and late 80's. And Mike Tyson when in perfect condition weighs in at 216, So Marciano is not that small when compare him to 2 of the most dominant heavyweights in recent history. Being smaller was something of an advantage in the days of 15 rounds. Maciano's low weight is what gave him the stamina to bang and attack and plod for 15 rounds. Its more of an advantage to be bigger now that fights are only 12 rounds. If Marciano fought today he would probably put on 20 pounds.
Right.

The point is, you can put on a lot of muscle mass depending on training, nutrition and supplements and I think today Rocky would be comfortable and effective weighing 210 or so.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Imira
Kwahn pah sak

Rep Power: 10 Imira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond reputeImira has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 17,815.00
Send a message via Yahoo to Imira

The "He's too small" argument is usually a fall back argument used by posters who have no knowlege of the old legend in question. (Louis, Marciano, etc.) Size just doesn't make that big a difference in the HW division.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Rockin'
SRR by Triangle Theory

Rep Power: 19450 Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 26,431,733,291,333.07
Total Points: 26,431,733,310,204.04
have a drink bud - peyk-peyk another one bud - peyk-peyk tnx 4 the green champ - BoZz Have a beer on me... - BulgariasFinest I have great respect for you as a poster - rorymac 
Much appreciated my friend - BulgariasFinest thanks champ, respect :) - calmdown you were a good opponent or whatever, now its over between you and me as rivals or fake rivals, whatever it was, lol, no more problems from me to you in my part - Tha_Greatest 10k. Keep postin'. - BattlingNelson Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 
10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery 
for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz One of the great posters - jas 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Size is a big matter in the case. The heavyweights of yesterday were much smaller than those of today. Look back at Primo Carnerra. He was sold to the public as a great by the press because of his enormous size. Today he would only be slightly larger than many of the heavyweights out there. I know whats up with boxing and the size would make a huge difference. Carnerra couldnt fight very well, the heavyweights today are big like him but have some good skill behind the size. In my opinion Marciano would have been manhandled by some of the heavyweights of today, or more so by the heavyweights of the 80's and 90's.............Rockin'

Last edited by Rockin'; 04-21-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Kid Achilles
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 113 Kid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond reputeKid Achilles has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 159,971.55
Total Points: 287,967.60

I disagree about Carnera somewhat. He was a mediocre fighter (mostly due to his weak punch and suspect chin; his skills were better than Grant's) but he would be considered a giant even by today's standard. Though only 6'6" or so, he was 260-270 lbs in shape. McCline is 260 lbs with a gut. If Carnera were in McCline's condition he would weigh about 300 lbs. Considering that the guys thighs were 31 inches witout any weight training, and didn't look especially big on him (meaning his overall body was that huge to make 31" thighs seem normal) I would say he would still be freakishly huge and strong even by today's standards.

Heavyweights are bigger these days, but not THAT much bigger. Consider that Lewis was just 6'5" and yet had a significant reach and height advantage on nearly everyone he fought. I remember that on another forum someone posted the heights of leading contenders in either the 40's or 50's and then the contenders of modern times (this was in 2002 I think). It turns out the average heavyweight from those times was only about a half of an inch shorter than the average heavyweight in 2002.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:38 PM
phallus
the lizard of ahs

Rep Power: 204 phallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond reputephallus has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 220,089,660,002.56
Total Points: 220,089,683,385.69
Hermano de leche.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Rimjob All-Star Team - DWiens421 have a drink on me bro. - Melly-Mel Big,thick, black cock in the ass - Mizzou To my long lost brother. - Round 1 
No Message - Dick Valentine Here homey. You need some food - mangler Here's a gift hermano.. - !! AI-Holmes!! top notch poster - BostonGuy eat some cake hermano.. - Round 1 
Happy Holidays phallus.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - _PlaT_NuM_ Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - !! AI-Holmes!! Gay and Lesbian Pride - mangler jr AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Mangler Jewnior 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Achilles
I disagree about Carnera somewhat. He was a mediocre fighter (mostly due to his weak punch and suspect chin; his skills were better than Grant's) but he would be considered a giant even by today's standard. Though only 6'6" or so, he was 260-270 lbs in shape. McCline is 260 lbs with a gut. If Carnera were in McCline's condition he would weigh about 300 lbs. Considering that the guys thighs were 31 inches witout any weight training, and didn't look especially big on him (meaning his overall body was that huge to make 31" thighs seem normal) I would say he would still be freakishly huge and strong even by today's standards.

Heavyweights are bigger these days, but not THAT much bigger. Consider that Lewis was just 6'5" and yet had a significant reach and height advantage on nearly everyone he fought. I remember that on another forum someone posted the heights of leading contenders in either the 40's or 50's and then the contenders of modern times (this was in 2002 I think). It turns out the average heavyweight from those times was only about a half of an inch shorter than the average heavyweight in 2002.

go to the boxing hall of fame, read the tale of the tape - for the last 100 years hw champs have been roughly the same height but weights have increased dramatically. jack dempsey ( hw champ from 1919 to the mid 1920's ) was 6'1" and about 190 lbs, jack johnson ( hw champ from 1908 - 1915 ) was also 6'1". from the 1930's the average hw champ was 6'2" ( joe louis, max baer, j.j. braddock ), ezzard charles (40's) was 6'0", walcott was 6'1", ali was 6'3", foreman 6'3" or 6'4"...it's not like the champs of yesterday were ****ing dwarfs, with today's nutrition they'd be the same as today's guys