Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The IBF title - is it really that hard to unify?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The IBF title - is it really that hard to unify?

I remember reading a post from someone on here about how the IBF belt (can't remember which division) is "almost impossible" to unify, or something along those lines. What would be examples of this?

delete....
    Last edited by DeanoFlash; 12-22-2009, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I'n welter Margarito and Clottey both were striped to prevent unification in their fights with Cotto.

Also in Japan the IBF doesn't count as a major title. Only WBC and WBA.

Comment

Yeah, I remember them stripping Clottey earlier this year... but wasn't it because he chose to fight Cotto instead of a mandatory?

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
          Yeah, I remember them stripping Clottey earlier this year... but wasn't it because he chose to fight Cotto instead of a mandatory?
          I think that's right and Clottey blamed Cotto for not filing the proper paperwork for it.

I remember the IBF title was unified with the IBO title when Chad Dawson had it. That's the last type of unification with the belt, that I know of.

Comment

after Calzaghe beat Lacy to unify the WBO & IBF SMW titles, the IBF gave him a mandatory, so Calzaghe vacated.

Lacy's IBO title was not on the line I think.

Comment

Yes, I blame that one on Clottey. He had plenty of time to defend that title and he didn't. His own damn fault.

Comment

Trinidad had the IBF belt when he unified with De La Hoya in 99. But yeah they also stripped Clottey before the Cotto fight.

Comment

Also, none of the beltholders at 140 seem to be eager to grab Urango's IBF belt. I wonder why that is? Sure, he can punch hard, but he's still one of the easiest to beat in that division. Maybe they want to, but can't get the opportunity for unification?

Likewise you see the IBF title at 147 not even being mentioned in the same breath as its WBA, WBC and WBO counterparts - all of which are very close to being unified next year. It went from Clottey to Hlatshwayo to Zaveck. Who knows where it'll end up next...

Comment

Also, none of the beltholders at 140 seem to be eager to grab Urango's IBF belt. I wonder why that is? Sure, he can punch hard, but he's still one of the easiest to beat in that division. Maybe they want to, but can't get the opportunity for unification?

Likewise you see the IBF title at 147 not even being mentioned in the same breath as its WBA, WBC and WBO counterparts - all of which are very close to being unified next year. It went from Clottey to Hlatshwayo to Zaveck. Who knows where it'll end up next...
                    It could be that they are not as connected with big time promoters as much as the other promotions.

Comment

Working...
                    X