Evaluate George Foreman's Legacy Pre-First Retirement - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
View Poll Results: Does a 1969-1977 Foreman make your top 10 HWs, without the comeback?
Yes 15 68.18%
No 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Navigation

Old 12-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Obama
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 120 Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 78,202,688,712,025.19
Total Points: 78,202,692,741,017.66
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 
Default Evaluate George Foreman's Legacy Pre-First Retirement

If George Foreman never came out of retirement following his loss to Jimmy Young in 1977, would he make your top 10 ATG Heavyweight list?

He wouldn't make mine. I'd have him in the top 20 tho.

George's Resume Pre-First Retirement:

Notable Wins:
Gregorio Peralta (x2)
George Chuvalo
Boone Kirkman
Joe Frazier (x2) [Undefeated]
Ken Norton
Ron Lyle
Notable Losses:
Muhammad Ali [KO 8]
Jimmy Young [UD 12]

That's all he had to show for himself in 47 fights. Some say he didn't even beat Peralta the first time. Lyle nearly knocked him out. His fight with Chuvalo was stopped waaaaaay too early. Frazier and Norton were tailor made to lose to him. And Boone Kirkman (do you even know him?) is easily the 5th or 6th best guy he beat at the time.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Silencers
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 63 Silencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,247,686,027,708,378.25
Total Points: 1,247,686,032,098,245.75
You're a great poster man!  The site is lucky to have you. - abosworth You're my hero!! :D - Spiegelo It's a pleasure to read your posts. - The_Bringer boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez boxingsences best happy xmas man lets drink to a good 1 good health - The Jackal 
Have an apple bro - danc1984 Happy 09 to one of NSB's finest! - KrisSilver Too many good things to say. But in short, a humble &amp;amp; very knowledgeable poster. - J. HITTER One serious poster of BoxingScene FROM: - FasTHarD Have a beer, for one of the best Posters - Golden Boy 360 
Apple for the teacher, - mitruth from one intelligent  person to another ;) - Massage Queen Floyd Mayweather  Greatest fighter of his era - Malcolm. Boxing Scences Finest Happy bithday - The Jackal To one of Boxing Scene's Elite. - Izrock 
For the fight man - The Jackal For one of Boxingscene's finest! - Shadows No Message - Mucus ATG poster - Mucus Have a slice - Juan Gabriel 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Jackal Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 

I think his ability to compete with the younger heavyweights in the 80s and 90s is what cemented his legacy as an ATG, if he hadn't come back I probably wouldn't call him a great heavyweight but he'd still go down as a very, very good one.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 AM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Rep Power: 24 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 38,327,750,314.79
Total Points: 38,528,975,505.12
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers View Post
I think his ability to compete with the younger heavyweights in the 80s and 90s is what cemented his legacy as an ATG, if he hadn't come back I probably wouldn't call him a great heavyweight but he'd still go down as a very, very good one.
meh i dont even look at his 90's run, that was just icing on the cake. He fought in a very tough era and was one of the best. When 3 heavyweight names get brought up from the 70's, it's Foreman, Frazier and Ali.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 AM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,067,378.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
If George Foreman never came out of retirement following his loss to Jimmy Young in 1977, would he make your top 10 ATG Heavyweight list?

Notable Wins:
Gregorio Peralta (x2)
George Chuvalo
Boone Kirkman
Ken Norton
Ron Lyle
Notable Losses:
Muhammad Ali [KO 8]
Jimmy Young [UD 12]

That's all he had to show for himself in 47 fights. Some say he didn't even beat Peralta the first time. Lyle nearly knocked him out. His fight with Chuvalo was stopped waaaaaay too early. Frazier and Norton were tailor made to lose to him. And Boone Kirkman (do you even know him?) is easily the 5th or 6th best guy he beat at the time.
Depends how you rate fighters I guess. If your ratings are resume driven then Foreman's 1970's resume isnt the best. That said you could drive big holes through his 80's/90's wins if you wanted to be harsh. Moorer a pumped up light heavy was winning comfortably and the rest were a mixture of the mediocre or washed up.
If you do your ratings on who beats who then it becomes difficult to think of 10 HW's who would beat a prime Foreman.
Think he must have been near for the 70's and the comeback pushed him over the line.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Rep Power: 20 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 185,118,938.29
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:

Notable Wins:
Gregorio Peralta (x2)
George Chuvalo
Boone Kirkman
Ken Norton
Ron Lyle
Notable Losses:
Muhammad Ali [KO 8]
Jimmy Young [UD 12]

Foreman`s legacy as an ATG has very little to do with his comeback, Foreman was Olympic Gold Medalist and destroyed his first 38 opponents including George Chuvalo whom he butchered.. Foreman hammered Joe Frazier & Ken Norton both of who gave Muhammad Ali fits.. the manner of his victories was `awesome`and it was thought and rightly so by many boxing experts that Foreman was unbeatable, .. Muhammad Ali was a 7/1 dog going into his fight with Foreman and burst the guys bubble, it happens to almost all of them,
Roy Jones vs Tarver
Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas
Joe Frazier vs George Foreman
Joe Louis vs Rocky Marciano
Jack Dempsey vs Gene Tunney

But do we say these are not ATGs ?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Obama
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 120 Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
Foreman`s legacy as an ATG has very little to do with his comeback, Foreman was Olympic Gold Medalist and destroyed his first 38 opponents including George Chuvalo whom he butchered.. Foreman hammered Joe Frazier & Ken Norton both of who gave Muhammad Ali fits.. the manner of his victories was `awesome`and it was thought and rightly so by many boxing experts that Foreman was unbeatable, .. Muhammad Ali was a 7/1 dog going into his fight with Foreman and burst the guys bubble, it happens to almost all of them,
Roy Jones vs Tarver

You can't compare a prime Foreman losing to a faded Ali to the other great faded fighters losing to prime opponents.

And he didn't destroy Chuvalo. What fight did you watch? On Chuvalo's standards, the fight barely got started by the time it was stopped. Chuvalo was much, much, much more durable and resilient than the ref gave him credit for. He also didn't destroy Peralta the first time, he barely won the damn fight in reality.

Anyways, we don't base ATG lists on picking 10 guys who'd beat a prime fighter based off speculation. If we did, Roy Jones and Mike Tyson would be top 20 p4p fighters.

However, considering what Jimmy Young did to Foreman, I think the list of guys that beat him could well approach 10.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
donkim
Banned

Rep Power: 0 donkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these partsdonkim is infamous around these parts
Bank: 18.75
Total Points: 38,367.53
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Method Checker Gay and Lesbian Pride - JAB5239 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JAB5239 Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 

Quote:

LMAO,Chuvalo's own managed asked the referee to stop the fight, idiot.Don't give me this crap about Norton and frazier being tailor made for him either.You can discredit anybody's win by claiming the other guy was "tailor made".

foreman deserves credit for actually fighting the dangerous Ron Lyle head on,Shavers did the same thing and was brutally knocked out cold with his face planted on the canvas.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Obama
Undisputed Champion

Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkim View Post
LMAO,Chuvalo's own managed asked the referee to stop the fight, idiot.Don't give me this crap about Norton and frazier being tailor made for him either.You can discredit anybody's win by claiming the other guy was "tailor made".

foreman deserves credit for actually fighting the dangerous Ron Lyle head on,Shavers did the same thing and was brutally knocked out cold with his face planted on the canvas.
Whether his manager asked the ref to stop the fight or not, Chuvalo was far from ready to go. I also re-looked at the 3rd round of that fight, and the referee didn't look over at anyone before he stopped the fight. His eyes were on the two fighters, no one else. The commentator said the manager asked for the fight to be stopped, but the ref didn't even hear him, also stated by the commentator.

Point about the tailor made business was Foreman didn't beat anyone of even a semi-elite caliber that was a problem stylistically for him. Not one single guy out of 47.

Last edited by Obama; 12-19-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
cooper5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 107 cooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond reputecooper5 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 41,738,975,062,451.53
Total Points: 41,748,975,077,973.00
good luck - TBear Super poster - jazluvr449 E-Gift - ??? have an apple - MANGLER food - MANGLER 
Here you go - ??? These are good for you. - jazluvr super - TBear have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier A gift for ya.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 
To a deserving poster! - jazluvr tnx sa green - speedjay Good friends are treasure - jazluvr have a beer man - MANGLER Happy holidays, buddy! - jazluvr 
Happy New Year. - Round 1 cash money - MANGLER for luck and good health - jazluvr 
Childhood Cancer - ??? Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MANGLER Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - MANGLER Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - ??? 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Izrock Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - MANGLER 

I believe his underrated in his first career but I do find hard to place him in the all time top ten based on just part of his career. Add to it the miracle comeback and he's in.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:47 PM
bklynboy
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Rep Power: 12 bklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond reputebklynboy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 51,235.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
Roy Jones vs Tarver

Foreman was considered a monster -- but then so was Sonny Liston and Liston barely makes anyone's top 10.

If Foreman is a top 10 who among the following does he displace?

Jim Jeffries (maybe / yes)
Jack Johnson
Jack Dempsey
Gene Tunney (maybe)
Joe Louis
Jersey Joe Walcott (yes)
Ezzard Charles (yes)
Marciano (maybe) -- NOT TALKING ABOUT MATCH-UP
Floyd Patterson (maybe)
Sonny Liston (yes)
Muhammad Ali
Joe Frazier (yes) -- NOT TALKING ABOUT MATCH-UP
Larry Holmes
Mike Tyson
Evander Holyfield (maybe)
Lennox Lewis (maybe)

In my opinion Foreman was a border-line top 10 fighter based on his 1970s career.

Share This With Friends

Tags
evaluate, foreman's, george, legacy, pre-first, retirement

User Tag List