No announcement yet.

Ali-Liston rematch:no fix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali-Liston rematch:no fix

I've argued for years with people who claim that Ali stopped Liston in their rematch with a "phantom punch." This slow motion replay clearly shows a punch landed. Look at the way Listons, head, neck and back move as a result of the impact. Liston got hit by a punch he didn't see. Those are the punches that do the most damage and any boxer will tell you that. Liston by his own admission after the fight claimed, "It was a surprising punch". Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Calilloyd View Post
    I've argued for years with people who claim that Ali stopped Liston in their rematch with a "phantom punch." This slow motion replay clearly shows a punch landed. Look at the way Listons, head, neck and back move as a result of the impact. Liston got hit by a punch he didn't see. Those are the punches that do the most damage and any boxer will tell you that. Liston by his own admission after the fight claimed, "It was a surprising punch". Any thoughts?

Well yes the suprise punches are the ones that hurt also Liston did seem ok to continue but Walcott totally made a pigs ear of it.
    Kind of hoping that is the story as I hate to think of fighters of of Liston's class tanking, but there is a smell about the fight.

Comment

He did land a punch but I don't think it was a real knockout punch. I think the fight might've been fixed. But that doesn't necessarily mean Ali wouldn't have beaten him, anyway.

Even though I think it might've been fixed, I still have that poster of Ali standing over Liston and telling him to get up and a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by zoneman99 View Post
        He did land a punch but I don't think it was a real knockout punch. I think the fight might've been fixed. But that doesn't necessarily mean Ali wouldn't have beaten him, anyway.

Even though I think it might've been fixed, I still have that poster of Ali standing over Liston and telling him to get up and a fight.
        Yes didn't seem to have a lot of power behind it and Liston had a great chin.

Comment

Working...
        X