Best way of getting into fighting shape again - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 04-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Pretty Boy
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 18,927.00
Default Best way of getting into fighting shape again

Looking to start fighting again,after a year of playing college rugby.
I'm in reasonable shape,but am about 10lbs over my fighting limit,due to bad eating habits and the need to pack on muscle for rugby.I've done a lot of weightlifting,a bit of creatine and a fair amount of protein shakes with the purpose of adding weight to my frame for a final stint at rugby.

I'm around 154 at the moment,need to drop at least 7lbs or so,to get back to where I'm best.I trained for about a year,without ever having fought,but wasn't fully committed as I had a bunch of other things.

Should I be doing primarily long runs or interval training to get back in shape?
I've got use of a heavybag and speedbag,but won't be able to hit the gym until about a month,as I'm moving countries.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-16-2005, 01:16 AM
Tha Greatest
boxingscene legend

Rep Power: 21520 Tha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 614,768.52
Performance worthy of a beer. Enjoy - El Gallo Negro! U R A Funny Son of a Bitch - Stones In Exile Funny S.O.B. - The Beatles Dome King - Firewall A gift for the Dome King - Tomato Can 
No Message - JAB5239 No Message - BoxingGenius27 cheers for posting on my thread abt valero broner much appreciated - robson24 Sup bro - El Angel For Giving the Giants Credit where credit was due. You have my respect. - BrushMyHair 
Giants, Dynasty, Winning on the Even numbered years in this decade. Lets drink to that. A Toast to baseballs most intriguing and newest dynasty. Cheers - BrushMyHair 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Boy
Looking to start fighting again,after a year of playing college rugby.
I'm in reasonable shape,but am about 10lbs over my fighting limit,due to bad eating habits and the need to pack on muscle for rugby.I've done a lot of weightlifting,a bit of creatine and a fair amount of protein shakes with the purpose of adding weight to my frame for a final stint at rugby.

I'm around 154 at the moment,need to drop at least 7lbs or so,to get back to where I'm best.I trained for about a year,without ever having fought,but wasn't fully committed as I had a bunch of other things.

Should I be doing primarily long runs or interval training to get back in shape?
I've got use of a heavybag and speedbag,but won't be able to hit the gym until about a month,as I'm moving countries.
Do intervals man, mix it up, one day run 4 miles normal pace

next day run 3 miles and do "15 second/15 second rest"
sprints, and when u built ur way up add to that....

Some days run 2 miles at a FAST pace, one day just to windsrpints, etc. and intervals are great to, just make sure u in shape b4 doin them
Old 04-16-2005, 08:56 AM
Bubba3000
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 12 Bubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond reputeBubba3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,837.00

Varied intervals in your road work, hills, and BURPEES!

http://www.warriorforce.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

Plus, I think you should start sparring again as soon as possible. Nothing makes me train harder than gassing out and getting my ass kicked by a sparring partner. If you start now and you feel all out of shape, it'll inspire you to get back to work.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Tha Greatest
boxingscene legend

Rep Power: 21520 Tha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 614,768.52
Performance worthy of a beer. Enjoy - El Gallo Negro! U R A Funny Son of a Bitch - Stones In Exile Funny S.O.B. - The Beatles Dome King - Firewall A gift for the Dome King - Tomato Can 
No Message - JAB5239 No Message - BoxingGenius27 cheers for posting on my thread abt valero broner much appreciated - robson24 Sup bro - El Angel For Giving the Giants Credit where credit was due. You have my respect. - BrushMyHair 
Giants, Dynasty, Winning on the Even numbered years in this decade. Lets drink to that. A Toast to baseballs most intriguing and newest dynasty. Cheers - BrushMyHair 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba3000
Varied intervals in your road work, hills, and BURPEES!

http://www.warriorforce.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

Plus, I think you should start sparring again as soon as possible. Nothing makes me train harder than gassing out and getting my ass kicked by a sparring partner. If you start now and you feel all out of shape, it'll inspire you to get back to work.

true...

U know if ur more conditioned, u will learn the sweet science a lot faster and easier...
Old 04-17-2005, 12:01 PM
mickst3r
Contender

Rep Power: 0 mickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these partsmickst3r is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 14,071.00
Send a message via AIM to mickst3r

hey bubba... wats ur nane on ross's forum?

Share This With Friends

User Tag List