How do you throw an effective backhand? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 04-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Civil IZD
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0 Civil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 12,812.00
Default How do you throw an effective backhand?

At the moment this seems to be a weakness in my punch repetoire.

When I double up, or try to lead with the back hand, either I fail to cover the distance or I've telegraphed my advance and get hit first.

Is it just a matter of speed and timing, or are there techniques to help you move in and fire out an effective backhand?

Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
boxernyc
Contender

Rep Power: 13 boxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond reputeboxernyc has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 22,798.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil IZD
At the moment this seems to be a weakness in my punch repetoire.

When I double up, or try to lead with the back hand, either I fail to cover the distance or I've telegraphed my advance and get hit first.

Is it just a matter of speed and timing, or are there techniques to help you move in and fire out an effective backhand?

Assumes a right-handed player.

Key points:

Lefty forehand: One of the main reasons for the ease of learning the two-handed backhand is its similarity to a forehand. Thinking of it as a lefty forehand with the right hand just helping out is often a key to learning the stroke or to fixing a stroke that has gone astray.
Grip: The most common grip combination for a two-hander is Eastern forehand for the left hand and Continental for the right, but plenty of variations have proven successful. Moving the left hand to a Semi-Western grip and/or the right hand closer to an Eastern backhand grip usually facilitates heavier topspin. Feel free to experiment, but keep in mind that you'll have to let go with your left hand now and then to reach very wide or short balls, and having your right hand in a reasonable position (Eastern backhand or Continental) to hit by itself is an advantage.
Footwork: Having two hands on the racquet requires more precise positioning than using one hand, where you have more freedom to stretch if necessary. The great two-handers typically take lots of small steps to fine-tune their positioning. Take a larger final step toward the ball with your front foot to initiate your forward weight transfer.
Stance: The square stance, where you align your feet so that a line from the back foot through the front foot runs parallel to the sideline, is easiest for most players, especially when learning the stroke. A more open stance (facing the net) is starting to show up among pro and other advanced players, and it may prove increasingly popular as has the open-stance forehand. One advantage to a more open stance is that it might feel freer to those players who find the classic stroking style constricting.
Backswing: Some players use a little loop on their two-handed backswing, but there's very little argument for its necessity. Having two hands on the racquet makes it easy and quick to get the racquet back in the proper position, and two arms can usually generate plenty of power within a short swing path. Pull the racuquet back and down, so that the tip is pointing at the back fence. Laying your wrists back slightly should feel comfortable, and it will enhance your racquet-head speed.
Swing: The two-handed backhand can hit flat, but you'll usually want to create some topspin, for which it's well suited. To create topspin, the low point of your swing must be below where you'll meet the ball. A foot or so lower is usually about right. Let your left arm execute more or less a forehand swing, with your right providing stability and added power. Transfer your weight onto your front foot just before you swing, but use both legs to push upward and forward as you swing. Brush up the back of the ball, meeting it roughly as far forward as your front foot. The two-handed backhand uses a significant amount of rotational energy. While your feet shouldn't move during the swing, your upper body can turn quite a bit, depending on your swing style.
Point of contact: Meet the ball roughly even with your front hip.
Follow through: Appropriate follow-throughs on the two-hander vary from finishing out in front, with the racquet's edge pointing toward the net, to finishing with your hands over your right shoulder and your racquet behind your back. The more you use rotational energy from your hips and torso, the farther around your racquet will typically travel.

Hope this helps
Old 04-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Hunna
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 14 Hunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond reputeHunna has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 27,121.00

boxernyc is a funny guy ( nice pic)... is this a tennis site, tai chi or boxing site?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Living Legend
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 0 Living Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these partsLiving Legend is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 77,258.03
Default How do you throw an effective backhand?

I thought you were talking about slapping a ho3
Old 04-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Civil IZD
Amateur

Rep Power: 0 Civil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond reputeCivil IZD has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 12,812.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxernyc

Assumes a right-handed player.

Key points:

Lefty forehand: One of the main reasons for the ease of learning the two-handed backhand is its similarity to a forehand. Thinking of it as a lefty forehand with the right hand just helping out is often a key to learning the stroke or to fixing a stroke that has gone astray.
Grip: The most common grip combination for a two-hander is Eastern forehand for the left hand and Continental for the right, but plenty of variations have proven successful. Moving the left hand to a Semi-Western grip and/or the right hand closer to an Eastern backhand grip usually facilitates heavier topspin. Feel free to experiment, but keep in mind that you'll have to let go with your left hand now and then to reach very wide or short balls, and having your right hand in a reasonable position (Eastern backhand or Continental) to hit by itself is an advantage.
Footwork: Having two hands on the racquet requires more precise positioning than using one hand, where you have more freedom to stretch if necessary. The great two-handers typically take lots of small steps to fine-tune their positioning. Take a larger final step toward the ball with your front foot to initiate your forward weight transfer.
Stance: The square stance, where you align your feet so that a line from the back foot through the front foot runs parallel to the sideline, is easiest for most players, especially when learning the stroke. A more open stance (facing the net) is starting to show up among pro and other advanced players, and it may prove increasingly popular as has the open-stance forehand. One advantage to a more open stance is that it might feel freer to those players who find the classic stroking style constricting.
Backswing: Some players use a little loop on their two-handed backswing, but there's very little argument for its necessity. Having two hands on the racquet makes it easy and quick to get the racquet back in the proper position, and two arms can usually generate plenty of power within a short swing path. Pull the racuquet back and down, so that the tip is pointing at the back fence. Laying your wrists back slightly should feel comfortable, and it will enhance your racquet-head speed.
Swing: The two-handed backhand can hit flat, but you'll usually want to create some topspin, for which it's well suited. To create topspin, the low point of your swing must be below where you'll meet the ball. A foot or so lower is usually about right. Let your left arm execute more or less a forehand swing, with your right providing stability and added power. Transfer your weight onto your front foot just before you swing, but use both legs to push upward and forward as you swing. Brush up the back of the ball, meeting it roughly as far forward as your front foot. The two-handed backhand uses a significant amount of rotational energy. While your feet shouldn't move during the swing, your upper body can turn quite a bit, depending on your swing style.
Point of contact: Meet the ball roughly even with your front hip.
Follow through: Appropriate follow-throughs on the two-hander vary from finishing out in front, with the racquet's edge pointing toward the net, to finishing with your hands over your right shoulder and your racquet behind your back. The more you use rotational energy from your hips and torso, the farther around your racquet will typically travel.

Hope this helps
Best advice ever.

I'm heading to the rottie forum to practice my strokes.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:10 PM
tysonortiz
Contender

Rep Power: 12 tysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond reputetysonortiz has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 14,310.00

Hahaha, that picture is ridiculous boxer. Sadly, it resembles my father trying to play tennis.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:21 PM
jack_the_rippuh
I to your mom..

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21556 jack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,363,140.39
Total Points: 89,959,320.43
thanks for helping me dig it - boxing_prospect a bribe to red k wlad owns and to tell him it's from i am ike. lol - i am ike since you feel ill , player. an apple a day keep the doctor away. - i am ike here swallow all these pills and it'll help you throw up. - i am ike please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
One of boxingscene's best - BostonGuy For the new boxingscene millionaire... Oh i forgot hook me some of your good K mate.... - FasTHarD Best Poster On Boxingscene! - Dorian THE GOAT - RJJ The Truth To a fellow dark mind. - Mizzou 
to the most sick minded individual to ever step foot in BoxingScene...we await your return jackula...mwahahahaa - BritishBoxing92 Happy New Year.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 

He means a rear punch. If you're an orthodox fighter and you want to know how to throw a lead right you should time it and deliver it similar to the way you'd deliver it when you throw a one-two, only this time you walk into it and you move out of the way of their power-hand. You should watch how Floyd Mayweather Jr. does it...he loves throwing lead-rights.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Rampage*
He who lives, fights.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21484 Rampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond reputeRampage* has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 23,737.88
Total Points: 1,050,070,000.13

he's into the pimp business now.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List