No announcement yet.

Showtime vs HBO = WCW vs WWF.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showtime vs HBO = WCW vs WWF.

I see sort of the same dynamic between the Monday night wars of the pro wrestling world in the 90's and what is becoming a Saturday night wars between Showtime boxing and HBO's boxing programs. For those of you who didn't ever watch wrestling or like my e-pal jreckoning(lol) are way to young to remember.......in the mid-90's the fringe pro wrestling organization WCW started gaining notoriety and was able to compete with the big boy on the block[WWF(now WWE)]. So for many years the two organizations put on the best shows they could every Monday night between 8-11pm to compete for your viewership.....though most like me just flipped the channel back and forth.
    Right now the same thing is happening in the boxing world because for the longest time Showtime was a distant 2nd to HBO like WCW was to WWF then, but with the S6 and other good cards Showtime seems now to be making a play for HBO's #1 spot. What will HBO do? Of course try and top them and put on better cards maybe a tourney of their own. What will Showtime do after that? try and put on better cards to keep up.....and so on and so on......and the real winner of this Saturday night war is the boxing fans just like wrestling fans were the winners on Monday nights in the mids 90's........we will be getting the best boxing cards possible for the next couple years until someone is put out of business and this is the beginning a great time to be a boxing fan

A team of fighters should make a boxing NWO.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
      A team of fighters should make a boxing NWO.
      Like Floyd as Hogan and other heel boxers.

Comment

I agree, money will win though, Showtime can try it's hardest but HBO has the top fighters, and there is just a sort of intangiable quality or polish on HBO shows that Showtime doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
          Like Floyd as Hogan and other heel boxers.
          More likely it would be Holyfield, Hopkins, Johnson, Mosley

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
            I see sort of the same dynamic between the Monday night wars of the pro wrestling world in the 90's and what is becoming a Saturday night wars between Showtime boxing and HBO's boxing programs. For those of you who didn't ever watch wrestling or like my e-pal jreckoning(lol) are way to young to remember.......in the mid-90's the fringe pro wrestling organization WCW started gaining notoriety and was able to compete with the big boy on the block[WWF(now WWE)].orld because for the longest time Showtime was a distant 2nd to HBO like WCW was to WWF

Dunno if it's a mistake or what but WCW was pretty much king during the mid-late 90s, until the new millenium. It was WWF playing catch up. WCW nicked their biggest star in Bret Hart because WWF couldn't afford the salary WCW were willing to pay.
            Last edited by Targaryen; 11-16-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SirAuron View Post
              I agree, money will win though, Showtime can try it's hardest but HBO has the top fighters, and there is just a sort of intangiable quality or polish on HBO shows that Showtime doesn't have.
              They need to follow the WCW model then and get someone with wealth to sponsor them so they can afford better fighters.

Comment

Floyd, BHOP, Toney = *****zWorldOrder

Sergio Martinez, Felix Sturm, Kessler = DegenerationSex

Comment

Originally posted by The Chosen View Post
                  Dunno if it's a mistake or what but WCW was pretty much king during the mid-late 90s, until the new millenium. It was WWF playing catch up. WCW nicked their biggest star in Bret Hart because WWF couldn't afford the salary they were willing to pay.
                  I meant before they gained notoriety.....they existed for years before the Hogan signing and NWO years just like Showtime.....and now Showtime is trying to make a play for the top spot it seems.

Comment

As long as showtime dont make David Arquette a world champion i'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X