Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 10-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Mastrangelo
Paul Williams beat Lara

Rep Power: 10 Mastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond reputeMastrangelo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,170,171,503,897.23
Total Points: 956,780,169,850,681.12
thanks for the fight...cheers! - joe strong 
Default Why Mosley protected as a Lightweight...

..., was he matched with right guys there to make him look spectacular and just create a hype? I seem to recall that Larry Merchant called him the best lightweight since Roberto Duran (and I'm sure I don't have to remind you guys about champions who ruled that division between Duran's and Shane's time there).
What I find interesting is that all 3 meaningful fights that could've been made for him at the time would be against crafty southpaws - Nazarov, Johnstone and Baptiste-Mendy... Particulary the first 2 I would think could've easily been made, Mendy probably not so much - his record suggest he had a great comfort over in France.
So, what happend?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-10-2014, 12:01 PM
billeau2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,100,077,933.91

don't know the details but do remember that when Mosley was in his prime there were a lot of talented guys in the division. You had guys all over the place in tbe light to middle weight classes, Quartey, De La Hoya, Judah, Forrest Vargas, Mayweather, to name a few... And Mosley was considered one of the best because of his power....I mean a lot of guys had speed and could box, but Mosley had some bang when he dropped the anchor!

On that note for one of the guys like Merchant, or Letterman who are pretty good judges of talent, to think Mosley was a leg up because of his speed and power would be a fairly logical conclusion. I think the middle divisions on down in Mosley's 90's heyday were more loaded than they have been since.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 AM
Khmelnytsky
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Khmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond reputeKhmelnytsky has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 702.59
Total Points: 152,449.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrangelo View Post
..., was he matched with right guys there to make him look spectacular and just create a hype? I seem to recall that Larry Merchant called him the best lightweight since Roberto Duran (and I'm sure I don't have to remind you guys about champions who ruled that division between Duran's and Shane's time there).
What I find interesting is that all 3 meaningful fights that could've been made for him at the time would be against crafty southpaws - Nazarov, Johnstone and Baptiste-Mendy... Particulary the first 2 I would think could've easily been made, Mendy probably not so much - his record suggest he had a great comfort over in France.
So, what happend?
Nazarov was crafty but also had scary power and was likely a harder puncher than Mosley considering what he did to Thobela. That guy went on to win a super middleweight title by beating a puncher like Catley and went the distance with Kessler yet Nazarov hurt and dropped him several times in their fights.

Can't really say Mosley avoided him though since Nazarov's career was already over around the time Mosley won his title on account of literally getting shot in addition to being blind in one eye. De La Hoya on the other hand definitely could have unified with Orzubek but didn't and both of them skipped over 140 where Tszyu was.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:06 AM
beez721
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 30 beez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond reputebeez721 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 116,651.21
Toast to Wladimir! - Tunney 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeau2 View Post
don't know the details but do remember that when Mosley was in his prime there were a lot of talented guys in the division. You had guys all over the place in tbe light to middle weight classes, Quartey, De La Hoya, Judah, Forrest Vargas, Mayweather, to name a few... And Mosley was considered one of the best because of his power....I mean a lot of guys had speed and could box, but Mosley had some bang when he dropped the anchor!

On that note for one of the guys like Merchant, or Letterman who are pretty good judges of talent, to think Mosley was a leg up because of his speed and power would be a fairly logical conclusion. I think the middle divisions on down in Mosley's 90's heyday were more loaded than they have been since.
mosely was a beast in his prime. the losses to Vernon forrest really hurt his status. forrest just had a style that troubled mosely much like Norton had with ali. I still feel a young prime mosely would have beaten mayweather. he was that good
Old 10-11-2014, 05:16 AM
soul_survivor
LOL @ Ali-Holmes

Rep Power: 11 soul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond reputesoul_survivor has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,555,000,252,084.82
Sandiest vagina on Boxing Scene - Pigeons 

Mosley is by no stretch of the imagination the greatest LW since Duran but he definitely had the talent to become one. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, he moved up to 147. Personally, I think that was a damn brave decision, to go 12lb north and fight the best welterweight on the planet, man that took balls (and PEDs).
Old 10-11-2014, 09:52 AM
billeau2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by beez721 View Post
mosely was a beast in his prime. the losses to Vernon forrest really hurt his status. forrest just had a style that troubled mosely much like Norton had with ali. I still feel a young prime mosely would have beaten mayweather. he was that good
Its possible. Would have depended on how fast and how good a punch Mosley had...would it have been enough to overcome a guy who had enough speed and power to compete with people with such exceptional natural instincts as Mosley and Judah?

We must keep in mind how good Mayweather was at the lower weights. He had such ring smarts, his own natural abilities...and he tended to do well against punchers who were not pressure fighters. IMO that would be Mosley's problem, and for that matter, a prime Judah's problem as well. Mayweather had problems with pressure guys more than punchers, but I think mosley had a chance for sure.

Forrest was an incredible boxer, technician, meaning that he had a real great sense of range. I always thought that Mosley was a guy who fought on instinct. And his old man (ha! again just like Judah!) was not capable of analysis beyond the variety of "get him!" So yeah Mosley never had a chance...truly styles sometimes make fights.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM
billeau2
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_survivor View Post
Mosley is by no stretch of the imagination the greatest LW since Duran but he definitely had the talent to become one. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, he moved up to 147. Personally, I think that was a damn brave decision, to go 12lb north and fight the best welterweight on the planet, man that took balls (and PEDs).
Yeah....One truly should tread on that comparison.....Lightly. Duran was a complete fighter. Her had natural abilities in spades and...He had power and a chin that was superior to Mosley. Duran also was smarter in the ring, had a killer instinct, and though Mosley did fight good competition, Duran fought the best competition.

I always thought of Mosley like Judah as a guy with great natural gifts....an exceptional athlete more than a fighter in many respects. But that is a biase of mine.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM
IronDanHamza
IronDanHamza

Rep Power: 70 IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,258,164,102,678,446.50
Total Points: 3,287,384,218,824,241.50
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Don't know if he was protected but his resume there is abysmal.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Sugar Adam Ali
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 33 Sugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond reputeSugar Adam Ali has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 548,188,984,114,408.56
Total Points: 552,988,984,212,159.44
Congrats on 3000 posts! - LacedUp Agree with you on Bradley vs. Cotto tough fight or Tim - hectari you need more gifts, have a beer - sugarsmosley A beer to go along with your winnings from tonight's bets! :) - Tyler_Durden You know your sh1t! have a beer on me - jas 
a truly ATG poster - here's an apple to sustain that brain power - jas It's Easter time, here's an Easter Egg for being the most knowledgeable poster bar none - jas Always spitting out the truth. - Augustane You made some good and fair points for Pac Algieri matchup - hectari couldnt green, but excellent post on violent crime punishment - sugarsmosley 
appreciate the green - -jose- 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - jas Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jas 

Honestly, the lightweight division was pretty weak when shane was there,,

would have loved to seen him at lightweight in the early 2000s with corrales, castillo, casamoyer, spadafora, floyd, lazcano, diaz, etc...

Shane, much like hopkins at MW was stuck in a weak division in the late 90s
Old 10-12-2014, 04:00 PM
ShoulderRoll
Ph.D in the Sweet Science

Rep Power: 44 ShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond reputeShoulderRoll has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,113,229,837,499,770.00
Total Points: 3,113,229,837,503,558.50
excellent posts mate - Alx. good post about Wlad being like Bute - RossCA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA To a good poster - ROSS CALIFORNIA brewed just 4 u - sugarsmosley 
valuable advice to training forum - jas 

The "power boxing" Shane Mosley at lightweight was definitely something to behold. Blazingly fast hands and a hard puncher with terrific body work.

His resume is lacking but I don't see anyone around at the time who I would have picked to beat him with the exception of a young Mayweather. And even that would have been a toss up fight IMO, with maybe Floyd's superior boxing IQ allowing him to pull out a close win in the end.