Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Bushidō
GGG-Unit

Rep Power: 20 Bushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,057,063,247,116.59
Total Points: 8,057,064,284,554.29

He didn't have destructive power but that didn't mean he couldnt stop people
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-21-2009, 01:34 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 107,138,384,220.11
Total Points: 108,138,626,021.97
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3dBundy View Post
wrong.
watch the first fight again how scared cooper was in round 5
Watch the Patterson fight and see how flat Cooper was.

Cooper didn't seem scared, he just suffered a terrible, terrible cut, one of the worst ever. He wanted to fight on despite it.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,059,649.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
A lot of people began to question his punching power after his performances against Chuvalo, Terrell, Patterson and Mildenberger, sarcastically asking him how he was ever able to "KO" Liston when he had trouble getting rid of these opponents.
To be fair no one can knock out Chuvalo, he was inhuman. Ali seemed quite content to torture Patterson and Terrell for 15 rounds and had little interest in knocking them out.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:45 PM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 84,787,387.98
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
To be fair no one can knock out Chuvalo, he was inhuman. Ali seemed quite content to torture Patterson and Terrell for 15 rounds and had little interest in knocking them out.
yes you are quite correct
Old 10-21-2009, 01:57 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
I don't really agree with Ali only "torturing" them to be honest. He hit both of them with some of his best punches but couldn't put them away. Now Chuvalo was granite-jawed indeed but he basically walked right through the hundreds of punches Ali threw and laughed them off. It shows that Ali was certainly not on the level of Foreman, Frazier or Bonavena as a puncher.

This is the supposedly glass-jawed Floyd Patterson taking everything Ali has got:

Old 10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Boxing_12
Contender

Total Points: 18,892.06

Quote:
agree there, how can you question someone's punching power just because they didn't knock out Chuvalo. That is just damn silly.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Princemanspopa
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Princemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these partsPrincemanspopa is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 20,486.47

Ali carrying Terrell and Patterson is somewhat overblown,he punished them but who's to say he wasn't trying to finish them? He certainly threw punches with intention against both men but both men showed tremendous heart and would not be finished.Ali,I don't believe ever said anything about wanting to carry and punish them,just a myth really

Quote:
Ali was no better a puncher than for example Floyd Patterson though. Ali never quite was able to hurt Henry Cooper, only cut him, while Patterson flattened Cooper in four rounds.

Since when was Floyd Patterson a powderpuff puncher? Floyd had power and was definitately a better puncher than Ali

Quote:
or Bonavena as a puncher.

First time I've ever heard any refer to Oscar Bonavena as a puncher? heavy handed sure,but big puncher?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:24 AM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princemanspopa View Post
Ali carrying Terrell and Patterson is somewhat overblown,he punished them but who's to say he wasn't trying to finish them? He certainly threw punches with intention against both men but both men showed tremendous heart and would not be finished.Ali,I don't believe ever said anything about wanting to carry and punish them,just a myth really

Since when was Floyd Patterson a powderpuff puncher? Floyd had power and was definitately a better puncher than Ali

First time I've ever heard any refer to Oscar Bonavena as a puncher? heavy handed sure,but big puncher?
You are taking those quotes slightly out of context.

I didn't claim that Patterson was a powderpuff puncher, I was comparing his punching prowess to that of Ali's. As an example Patterson KO'd Cooper in devastating fashion while Ali could only stop him on cuts. Patterson in my view is a better puncher than Ali.

Neither did I claim that Bonavena was a big, Foreman type of a puncher. What I was saying is that while Bonavena, Frazier and Foreman were all able to hurt Chuvalo, Ali couldn't even move him in two of their fights and he landed his best stuff.

Bonavena arguably had Chuvalo down and certainly hurt in two of the rounds.

Charley Goldman did claim that Bonavena hit harder than the other heavyweight he trained, Rocky Marciano.

The point I'm trying to make is that there were a lot of people who punched harder than Ali, even in his own time. He was an effective puncher though who could cut people and catch them with punches they didn't see coming.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-22-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Infern0
Banned

Rep Power: 23 Infern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond reputeInfern0 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.07
Total Points: 577,233.16
Eat Up - ??? One of boxingscene's best - Carnivore No Message - Little Mac 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Mr._Pink World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sir Tom Jones Gay and Lesbian Pride - Queen_Leia Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Klitschko2009 

Check out 6:06
Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 AM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post

Check out 6:06

5:10