Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
stephenmc
Contender

Rep Power: 1 stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute stephenmc has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.54
Total Points: 8,797,227,571,772.29
Default The newspaper decsions.

Reading a book (as often as i can) on mike mc tigue at the moment, brilliant book il post about his career when i finish before i get off topic. But a boxer from the early 1900s, 1920s, back then their was no real decsion wins, you had the winner of the fight,but then you had like the real winner through the newspaper decsions?correct me if im wrong!!because im only learning about them now! What did you think of the newspaper decsions? Do you think their would be anyway on earth that they could come back sometime in boxing history?? And would you welcome them agin to boxing??? O i think the newspaper decsions wher their because a bout wouldnt be officaly sanctioned....dose anybody have more info on this????

Last edited by stephenmc; 05-05-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-06-2015, 02:22 AM
considerthis
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 0 considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts considerthis is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 47,520.08

I don't think newspaper decisions were official. Just a bunch of writers deciding who they thought won when there was no official decision.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Humean
Infidel

Rep Power: 5 Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute Humean has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 731,944,030,508.07
Total Points: 731,944,081,840.90
Because you are a big douche - Boxing Goat 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmc View Post
Reading a book (as often as i can) on mike mc tigue at the moment, brilliant book il post about his career when i finish before i get off topic. But a boxer from the early 1900s, 1920s, back then their was no real decsion wins, you had the winner of the fight,but then you had like the real winner through the newspaper decsions?correct me if im wrong!!because im only learning about them now! What did you think of the newspaper decsions? Do you think their would be anyway on earth that they could come back sometime in boxing history?? And would you welcome them agin to boxing??? O i think the newspaper decsions wher their because a bout wouldnt be officaly sanctioned....dose anybody have more info on this????
The main reason for newspaper decisions was that various US States had laws against official decisions in order to curtail gambling on fights. Also champions would enact no decision rules in championship fights order to increase their chances of holding onto their title, you'd have to knock the champion out for the title to change hands.

Newspaper decisions won't come back, every now and again some journalist when writing about the incompetence of boxing judges will posit the idea that journalists should decide the outcome. They make that suggestion with the idea of fairness in mind, not in any way because they want to increase their own influence on the sport . . .
Old 05-08-2015, 11:09 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute McGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,485,153.18
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A  Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner  missed you around - McGoorty  Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah  Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616  No Message - rorymac  It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori  Good thread - rorymac  cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humean View Post
The main reason for newspaper decisions was that various US States had laws against official decisions in order to curtail gambling on fights. Also champions would enact no decision rules in championship fights order to increase their chances of holding onto their title, you'd have to knock the champion out for the title to change hands.

Newspaper decisions won't come back, every now and again some journalist when writing about the incompetence of boxing judges will posit the idea that journalists should decide the outcome. They make that suggestion with the idea of fairness in mind, not in any way because they want to increase their own influence on the sport . . .
In the days of No Decision bouts (I am very proud to say that Australia never ever had such a farcical system, you can thank that rogue Hugh D McIntosh for that) there was no alternative and that is why from 1908 to the end of the great war the best fighters fought in Australia and why Les Darcy was the greatest fighter on earth during that time. I think most newspaper decisions were probably fair as the journalists had reputations to uphold and because they had some large crowds at most major fights during the era. Of course some were so controversial but probably an exception to the rule. Most American title holders were not actually real world champs, they were simply champions of America. As far as I know only the USA had these ridiculous no decision affairs so if Floyd Mayweather actually held a title back then he would run even faster than today but would have to fight far more often. The other thing to remember is that these N.D. fights were over just 10 rounds whereas in most countries fights were over a massive 20 round distance so you could bet Floyd would never have gone down under as nobody can run for 20 rounds. I think we need 20 round fights to come back into vogue today so that boxing can recapture the glory days and also weed out these runners who dominate nearly every division since the early nineties. Boxing today needs to change or die.

Share This With Friends

Tags
decsions. , newspaper