Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,531,176.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 
Question Who was the better Boxer ..........Duran or Pryor

Who was the better Boxer ..........Duran or Pryor ?

Ironically enough i think both had good defences but both got nailed good from time to time. Duran got knocked out by Hearns (past prime) Duran got dropped in both fights with De Jesus, Pryor on the other hand hit the canvas in almost every fight it seemed

Pryor left his chin up in the air when he attacked though, i dont think he was chinny or anything.

I make Pryor the better Boxer, he might not have been as good defensively inside as Duran but i think he had better legs and he was a little slicker, albeit i know he was also wreckless at times.

This is quite interesting because you can pick one way or another.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Kut
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 6 Kut will become famous soon enoughKut will become famous soon enough
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 7,275.87

For me Duran is the better defensive Boxer and tactician, while Pryor the relentless offensive guy. Robertos Jab is underrated but Pryors is better (maybe because of the short arms of Roberto). Aaron would have been not so successful if he would had such an unbelievable condition and such a high workrate.
For me Roberto is the slicker guy. And he is by far the more versatile guy. I go with Duran as the better boxer.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
boxingbuff
Contender

Total Points: 91,032.60

Roberto Doooo-ran
Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 AM
mcentepede
Up and Comer

Rep Power: 7 mcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond reputemcentepede has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 2,089.63

Duran moved up to welterweight to avoid facing Pryor according to Pryor`s Bio. This mite anger Duran fans but they felt the risk was too high for a Pryor fite as the money would have been lot less than Sugar Ray Leonard. Pryor on the other hand was plopped in the jr. welterweight division because he was avoided by the lightweight champions at the time. Leonard admitted to avoiding Pryor because money wasn`t right and Hearns had no excuses...He didn`t want to risk anything vs. Pryor. Only thing that finally beat Pryor was cokaine. He was great. Duran too.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Bushidō
GGG-Unit

Rep Power: 21 Bushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond reputeBushidō has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,073,561,838,535.87
Total Points: 9,073,562,882,926.01

Duran was more well rounded. When you think of Duran you don't really think about his defense but he did little things that made his defense very good. I can't really say the same about Pryors defense
Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 165,633,763,964.06
Total Points: 166,634,010,349.92
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcentepede View Post
Duran moved up to welterweight to avoid facing Pryor according to Pryor`s Bio. This mite anger Duran fans but they felt the risk was too high for a Pryor fite as the money would have been lot less than Sugar Ray Leonard. Pryor on the other hand was plopped in the jr. welterweight division because he was avoided by the lightweight champions at the time. Leonard admitted to avoiding Pryor because money wasn`t right and Hearns had no excuses...He didn`t want to risk anything vs. Pryor. Only thing that finally beat Pryor was cokaine. He was great. Duran too.
I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong. Pryor was not even a contender when Duran moved up to 147 (1978) and he only became a factor (by beating Arguello in 1982) long after Duran had his fights against Ray Leonard.

Duran and his management did offer Pryor a chance to fight him, but Pryor declined.

Having seen most of the footage that is available of both, Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.

In all seriousness just look at these fights:

Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-10-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:52 PM
JB16
Up and Comer

Total Points: 21,915.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong. Pryor was not even a contender when Duran moved up to 147 (1978) and he only became a factor (by beating Arguello in 1982) long after Duran had his fights against Ray Leonard.

Duran and his management did offer Pryor a chance to fight him, but Pryor declined.
Having seen most of the footage that is available of both, Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.

Pryor claims the reason that him and Duran never fought was, when Panama Lewis got with him he made Pryor promise that he would never agree to fight Duran because he had, had a baby to Duran's sister, and Pryor kept to his promise.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Bright-Eyes
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 7 Bright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond reputeBright-Eyes has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 12,418.99
Total Points: 1,775,467.13

Duran and it's not even close.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,531,176.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post

With all due respect you probably just picked out Pryor's worst performance against Dujuan Johnson. You could just as easily post videos of Duran being KTFO or getting outboxed by Laing, Benitez, dropping a decision to Robbie Sims.

Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.
I swear Duran's Boxing skills are so overrated its untrue.

Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 10-10-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:28 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 165,633,763,964.06
Total Points: 166,634,010,349.92
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
With all due respect you probably just picked out Pryor's worst performance against Dujuan Johnson. You could just as easily post videos of Duran being KTFO or getting outboxed by Laing, Benitez, dropping a decision to Robbie Sims.

Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.
I swear Duran's Boxing skills are so overrated its untrue.
Pryor's best boxing performances were against Arguello, when he switched into a boxer at times, but Arguello could be confused by such tactics.

I believe it's Pryor who is heavily overrated. I'm not claiming that Duran is among the classiest boxers but he got by mostly with his skills while Pryor got by with talent. Duran could get hit but Pryor at times could get hit at will, only surviving due to a granite-like chin.

I'm not sure if Pryor would do all that well against Laing, Benitez and Sims at 154/160 either, and at 30+ years of age. He was finished when he was 29 years old.

Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.