Starting a boxing club - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond reputeSteak has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,366,315.14
Total Points: 772,160,328.34
big sky tye video! - natas206 Couldn't give Karma, so i'll drink to that post - GreatJoe For being supportive of my boy Nate - Massage Queen good posters deserve donuts - Junito-Rulez One of the best posters on the site - Heebarican 
Favorite BoxingScene Asshole - DWiens421 Good poster. - Barnburner For all the hard work on those essays. - Barnburner 
Default Starting a boxing club

Ive been trying to start a boxing club at my college, the University of Central Florida. thing is, its a little more complicated than I thought.

http://assets.teamusa.org/assets/doc...book_FINAL.pdf
Ive been looking over USA Boxing's rulebook, and its telling me I have to pay 250 bucks to be entered into any amateur competition and have to have 25,000 bucks of insurance as well? what the hell? I thought boxing was supposed to be a cheap sport?
and how am I supposed to enter the club members into amateur compeitions in the future with this kind of a barrier?

can anyone explain how this all works, and some general advice for a college boxing club? thanks for your help.
Steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 PM #2
Banned

dj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond reputedj Ramos has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 589,057,099.66
Total Points: 599,223,465.62
4 - RunW/Knives 5 - RunW/Knives 6 - RunW/Knives 7 - RunW/Knives 8 - RunW/Knives 
9 - RunW/Knives 10 Blue Para for the Metro. - RunW/Knives Have this homo - Mr Punch Quality Poster and Hella Funny - Stones! Chea - Stones! 
TRUTH WARRIOR - Stones! Thirsty...? - ??? I feel a Tornado Coming!!!!! - Stones! to celebrate chicaritos goal - C.RONALDO Pretend this is your hero - jazluvr 
to the homie dj heart - Tha_Greatest Have a slice - SouthpawSwagger 11 - Gremlin. For Dj, use this to get ronaldo and fabregas drunk so then you can defile them both! BWAHAHAHAHA ;) - BritishBoxing92 practice is always good you know for what ;) - BritishBoxing92 
Childhood Cancer - Viciousz Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - RunW/Knives Gay and Lesbian Pride - Mr Punch Gay and Lesbian Pride - INSECT Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - ??? AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - Spray_resistant Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Willy Wanker 
Send a message via AIM to dj Ramos

backyard boxing
dj Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM #3
Contender

JayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond reputeJayCoe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 49,343.30

Hit the same problem at my University in England. Alongside your entrance fee you'll need AIBA registration, insurance for the club, registration fees for each boxer and then medicals for each boxer.

It's considered a 'cheap sport' because of the lack of equipment needed, i.e pair of gloves, some boxing boots and a gum-shield. I would say the idea of it being a cheap sport is rubbish anyway. If you look at what a boxer uses to train with (whether it's supplied by the gym or yourself and roughly priced);

An actual gym to be paid for (X amount)
Punch bags of various shapes and size be provided for (70 + each)
A skipping rope each (5)
Boxing gloves each (50 each)
Sparring gloves (50)
Good quality head guards (50-60)
Gum shields (anywhere between 10-60 each)
Hand wraps (5)
Boxing boots (30-60)
Exercise mats (20 each)
Coaching pads (30)
A boxing ring (2000??)

Compare that to football (soccer)

Footballs (10 per 1)
Football pitch (with goals) (x amount)
Cones (10?)
2 x Goal keeping gloves (30 overall)
Shin pads (10 each)
Football boots (40)

Doesn't even nearly compare! So it's strange that boxing has a reputation as a cheap sport. A boxing gym requires A LOT.

If you want to enter into university competition you'll need to find a resource. You could try and affiliate with a local boxing gym and head under their registration and insurance. Also try find sponsors and try and get money from your sports union. Alongside charging admission fees from each boxer.

Failing that, just join a boxing gym and compete yourself.

Last edited by JayCoe; 09-29-2009 at 06:17 PM.
JayCoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxing, club, starting

User Tag List