Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
The Noose
AKA Bobby Pazuzu

Rep Power: 333 The Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond reputeThe Noose has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 101,300,772,794.74
Here you go you non-gift having British queer. - Mizzou good poster , have an e beer on me - shobox Happy Uncle's Day! - Bossy Great post! On this thread... Fighters who thank "god"...Are they f@cking stupid ? - jose830 
Default Which Middleweights were better then Hopkins?

Quote:
Les Darcy, Marvin Hagler, Harry Greb, Stanley Ketchel, Ray Robinson, Jake La Motta, Emile Griffith, Carlos Monzon, Mickey"toy bulldog" Walker, Tony Zale, Carmen Basilio, Gene Fullmer, Marcel Cerdan, Tiger Flowers, Sam Langford, Joey Giardello & Dick Tiger ***65279;
They all fought in strong Middleweight eras, fighting good fully fledged Middleweights.

If Hopkins best wins are against smaller men moving up, and he also lost to Jones, and Calzaghe, how does he compare to the names above?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,517,560.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Anomaly View Post
They all fought in strong Middleweight eras, fighting good fully fledged Middleweights.

If Hopkins best wins are against smaller men moving up, and he also lost to Jones, and Calzaghe, how does he compare to the names above?
You say" best wins" but i dont think anyone considers the DLH win any better than his wins over a prime Pavlik or lets say Winky, Tarver.

Joe Calzaghe did not beat Nard Hopkins as far as im concerned, you have to land punches to win rounds, not flail away hitting the air, i dont give subliminal points for direction of motion or ineffective aggression, that is why i would of called it a draw because neither guy did enough to win.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Joey Giardello
#1 Carlos Monzon Fan

Rep Power: 8 Joey Giardello has a spectacular aura aboutJoey Giardello has a spectacular aura aboutJoey Giardello has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 468,385.02

Carlos Monzon, Harry Greb, Charley Burley, Holman Williams, Billy conn, Jake La motta, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Ryan, Stanley Ketchel, Sugar Ray Robinson, Rodrigo Valdes, Les Darcy, Michael nunn, Gerald Mccellan, James Toney and Joey Giardello all could of beat hopkins on there best day and hopkins best day! hopkins best wins were over a blown up lightwelter in oscar, and blown up over trained trinidad, for me hopkins has been a better lightheavy than middle, he just made more defences of his titles at middle. Also hopkins lost twice to taylor could you see jermain beating a carlos monzon or marvin hagler? i dont think so. I think hopkins as a middleweight is very over rated and he has looked better beating bigger, harder fighters at lighthheavy
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM
sonnyboyx2
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 sonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond reputesonnyboyx2 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 84,791,201.98
Gift for Green - HaglerSteelChin Illiterate troll of the month award. - Jim Jeffries for being a cool poster in history section - led Cool poster award - -Lightsout- Like reading your posts, funny too.  Good job, keep it up. - -D33Pwaters- 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Demise Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tanibanana 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
You say" best wins" but i dont think anyone considers the DLH win any better than his wins over a prime Pavlik or lets say Winky, Tarver.

Joe Calzaghe did not beat Nard Hopkins as far as im concerned, you have to land punches to win rounds, not flail away hitting the air, i dont give subliminal points for direction of motion or ineffective aggression, that is why i would of called it a draw because neither guy did enough to win.
i agree with you.. i dont think Calzaghe beat Bhop i feel Bhop kinda gifted the result to Calzaghe by faining injury... i had Bhop winning the fight, but his actions late on were bazzar.. i think he was trying to get the crowd and judges on his side but it backfired, Calzaghe never landed any correct punches which would have earned him points and the decision, i had it for Hopkins 6-5-1 rds
Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Joey Giardello
#1 Carlos Monzon Fan

Rep Power: 8 Joey Giardello has a spectacular aura aboutJoey Giardello has a spectacular aura aboutJoey Giardello has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
i agree with you.. i dont think Calzaghe beat Bhop i feel Bhop kinda gifted the result to Calzaghe by faining injury... i had Bhop winning the fight, but his actions late on were bazzar.. i think he was trying to get the crowd and judges on his side but it backfired, Calzaghe never landed any correct punches which would have earned him points and the decision, i had it for Hopkins 6-5-1 rds
the calzaghe/hopkins fight should of been a draw, for me it just shows how great of a fighter joe was, to get up of the floor and claw hiscway back into the fight, thats the sign of a great fighter
Old 09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Joey Giardello
#1 Carlos Monzon Fan

Quote:
the calzaghe/hokind fight should of been a draw, for me it just shows how great of a fighter joe was, to get up of the floor and claw his way back into the fight, thats the sign of a great fighter
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Dynamite Kid
Slicker than your average

Rep Power: 57 Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,746,517,560.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Well i would of called a draw personally, but if pushed on the issue i would of leaned towards Hopkins, why? because at least he imposed his game plan on Calzaghe, albeit he did do it for long enough, that is why i cant give him the fight, that said he (Hopkins) was the more effective out of the two imo.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:21 PM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,151,772,454.17
Total Points: 2,161,998,989.72
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Monzon
Hagler
Jones
Greb
Robinson
Ketchel

Would be my pick, but they'd all go to the wire..
Have to disagree with some of you.. I thought Calzaghe won the fight by 2 rounds..
Old 09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
K-DOGG
Mitakuye Oyasin

Rep Power: 45 K-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond reputeK-DOGG has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,078,494.73

Hopkins, I think, definitely deserves to be in the top 10; but the Middleweight division has been loaded with talent ever since Jack Dempsey..."The Nonpareil" became it's first champion. It's almost as if you have to rank a guy # 1.1, 1.2, 5.5, etc. Sucks really. You can develope a migrane just trying to put together a Top 10 list.....and I'll bet you the farm your own Top Ten would change once every couple of years if you were really honest with yourself.

At least I know mine has.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Obama
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 118 Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 42,326,890,076,340.26
Total Points: 42,326,894,074,422.70
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Giardello View Post
Carlos Monzon, Harry Greb, Charley Burley, Holman Williams, Billy conn, Jake La motta, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Ryan, Stanley Ketchel, Sugar Ray Robinson, Rodrigo Valdes, Les Darcy, Michael nunn, Gerald Mccellan, James Toney and Joey Giardello all could of beat hopkins on there best day and hopkins best day! hopkins best wins were over a blown up lightwelter in oscar, and blown up over trained trinidad, for me hopkins has been a better lightheavy than middle, he just made more defences of his titles at middle. Also hopkins lost twice to taylor could you see jermain beating a carlos monzon or marvin hagler? i dont think so. I think hopkins as a middleweight is very over rated and he has looked better beating bigger, harder fighters at lighthheavy
No...

Conn was better at LHW than MW. He lost to his best MW opposition and only won rematches after weighing in way past the limit.

LaMotta, really? Come now... LaMotta only beat great fighters by outweighing them by 10+ lbs or breaking their arm.

The Valdes fight goes down like Hopkins vs Echols I. Good close fight, but B-Hop is clearly superior.

Les Darcy? You haven't seen enough footage of that guy to make any kind of head to head prediction.

And of course you say Giardello, I wonder why... Joey would have needed to beat Georgie Benton for me to believe he beats B-Hop.

Anyways h2h aside, gotta rate B-Hop over most every body there based on accomplishments at the weight.

You're also pretty delusional if you think a 41+ year old man was better than he was in his prime.

Last edited by Obama; 09-30-2009 at 02:04 AM.