Montell "Ice" Griffin - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond reputeStoppage has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 156,806.62
Default Montell "Ice" Griffin

Montell Griffin was the former WBC light heavyweight champion. He holds victories over pound-for-pound greats Roy Jones Jr. and James Toney.

He also holds victories over contenders Ka-Dy King, Ray Lathon, Randall Yonker, Derrick Harmon and George Khalid Jones.

Some may argue about how the first Jones fight would have went had he not been disqualified. But you have to admit that Griffin gave Jones all he could handle and it was a pretty even fight up to the disqualification. And this was a prime Jones we're talking about.

He didn't win any other titles after the second Jones fight but he was still a good contender.

He was also only 5'7 which is very small for a light heavyweight.

Stoppage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 78,202,688,712,025.19
Total Points: 78,202,692,743,274.66
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

You forgot to add the fact that he didn't deserve to beat Toney in either fight. And the second fight was a robbery of epic proportion.

That said, he was a semi-elite fighter in his prime. That's giving him as much credit as possible for the record.

Last edited by Obama; 09-26-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Obama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:16 PM #3
Slicker than your average

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,742,737,951.31
Total Points: 5,747,074,102.41
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoppage View Post
Montell Griffin was the former WBC light heavyweight champion. He holds victories over pound-for-pound greats Roy Jones Jr. and James Toney.

He also holds victories over contenders Ka-Dy King, Ray Lathon, Randall Yonker, Derrick Harmon and George Khalid Jones.

Some may argue about how the first Jones fight would have went had he not been disqualified. But you have to admit that Griffin gave Jones all he could handle and it was a pretty even fight up to the disqualification. And this was a prime Jones we're talking about.

He didn't win any other titles after the second Jones fight but he was still a good contender.

I always like Griffin, he was very skilled awkward counter puncher, he was making Jones look average before Roy got DQ'd although Roy was starting to come on a bit. I thought he beat Toney 1st time no question, he ring generaled Toney, im not sure he won the second though.
Dynamite Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:21 PM #4
Undisputed Champion

Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
I always like Griffin, he was very skilled awkward counter puncher, he was making Jones look average before Roy got DQ'd although Roy was starting to come on a bit. I thought he beat Toney 1st time no question, he ring generaled Toney, im not sure he won the second though.
Did you really just turn that into a verb?

All he did in that fight was out work Toney, who was content on rolling punches and landing the clean effective blows. Toney was also weight drained for the fight.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 PM #5

Dynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond reputeDynamite Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Consistently illuminating - abadger quality poster. - Melly-Mel Calm down kid. Take this. You'll learn eventually. - BatTheMan Vastine is the prime example of a Liverpool fan. A bias cunt who talks utter shit but actually believes what he is saying!! - Tuggers1986 A Beer for the Bulldog! - The Surgeon 
We Fresh! - Dorian No Message - cottothechamp Have a brew on me homey - mangler To the fight night creator - Stoppage A beer for one of Boxing Scene's best. - Shadows 
Have a tuna melt - mangler Thanks for all the help! - Shadows Cheers man. just keeping it cool - 120 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - dagrtst Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- Gay and Lesbian Pride - -Minstrel Man- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
Did you really just turn that into a verb?

All he did in that fight was out work Toney, who was content on rolling punches and landing the clean effective blows. Toney was also weight drained for the fight.

Are you now saying that you think Griffin won the first fight then? Griffin Boxed very well imo, Toney might have not been in top shape but he should of had enough to beat Griffin, i mean its not like a Tiberi scenario where he was tired after 3 rounds and blowing out his ass and it was not exactly a hot pace.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 PM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
Are you now saying that you think Griffin won the first fight then? Griffin Boxed very well imo, Toney might have not been in top shape but he should of had enough to beat Griffin, i mean its not like a Tiberi scenario where he was tired after 3 rounds and blowing out his ass and it was not exactly a hot pace.
No..Toney won both fights. The first fight was just close. Griffin won maybe 5 rounds on sheer work rate. He never once made Toney look bad however.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:55 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post
No..Toney won both fights. The first fight was just close. Griffin won maybe 5 rounds on sheer work rate. He never once made Toney look bad however.

I thought he made Toney fight his fight, i thought Toney looked out of ideas to, it seemed to me that although they are not identical in style they do mirror each other somewhat and i think thats why Toney struggled against Griffin.

The second fight was also close though, even if you think Toney won the second it was a close fight because neither guy was winning rounds to decisively, so that always leaves room for interpretation.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:57 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute1SILVA has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 220,134.87
Great job on my assignment. Here's another book for your collection. - BattlingNelson 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoppage View Post

His three biggest wins were all robberies. A boring fighter with absolutely no power
1SILVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:46 AM #9
Contender

JC Warrior is a jewel in the roughJC Warrior is a jewel in the roughJC Warrior is a jewel in the rough
Total Points: 6,581.17

The first Toney fight maybe you can make a case for Griffin doing something but the 2nd one, no way. His fights vs. Jones Jr., same thing. Though I was of the mind that that had as much to do with Griffin having Eddie Futch in his camp (Vs Jones #1 and a majority of Toney #1) and not having Eddie in camp for the sequels. It may not be giving Montell enough credit or too much, but I think Eddie Futch was the make it break it factor for this guy in his key bouts.

I mentioned in another thread that I got to see Ice Griffin prior to his bout versus Jones the first time around and he looked unusually good. I don't mean to derail this thread, but having seen with my own eyes Ice Griffin beating up the local favorites (some chi-mo named Frank Vassuer) I can't help but think that Griffin's successes were less to do with his talent and more to do with fortuitous coaching.
JC Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:36 AM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
BEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond reputeBEEHOP has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 302.32
Total Points: 36,869.86
Nard vs. Winky - CRESCENDOPOWER 

Montell Griffin VS Sven Ottke for the P4P title, and the G.O.A.T. award.
BEEHOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
"ice", griffin, montell

User Tag List