Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 03-11-2005, 03:02 PM
manila_assasin
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 14 manila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 42,557.00
Send a message via AIM to manila_assasin Send a message via Yahoo to manila_assasin
Default How to box a taller opponent

I have posted this question on the other sites Just want to get as much advice as I can.

I sparred with a 6'0 guy and I am only 5'6 (154)lbs. I can't hit him. Any technique that you can advise me?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Rick Reeno
The GodFather

Rep Power: 200000 Rick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond reputeRick Reeno has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 11,015,258.02
for your bravery on 9/11...pleasure meeting you - jose830 For surviving Marillac Hall back at SJU during the Early 1990's - HaglerSteelChin 
Send a message via AIM to Rick Reeno

You need to get inside and go to the body and then to the head. You make it harder on yourself by trying to slug a tall fighter in the face from a distance, you need to close the gap and get close to him. If you break down the body, the head will be there.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:50 PM
{BrownBomber}
R.I.P Chico

Rep Power: 21503 {BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute{BrownBomber} has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,762.54
Total Points: 455,582.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by manila_assasin
I have posted this question on the other sites Just want to get as much advice as I can.

I sparred with a 6'0 guy and I am only 5'6 (154)lbs. I can't hit him. Any technique that you can advise me?
You ever heard of a guy called Mike Tyson. I recomend u watch some of his fights,not the Lewis one though.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
XionComrade
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 12 XionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond reputeXionComrade has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 123,826.71
Send a message via AIM to XionComrade Send a message via MSN to XionComrade

Kinda weird actually, normally when I see a smaller huskier fighter go up a gains a huge 7 foot tall fighter, the 7 foot one is KOed easily, is this because taller people are easier to take down?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
boxer2k5
im a sociable person

Rep Power: 21 boxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond reputeboxer2k5 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,215,858.12

jab when he steps
jab before him

keep jabbign and move inside when you jab

dont worry about gettign hit because you might have to take some to get in

keep jabbing it will slow him down and not let him set up

move ou head and dip his jabs and go to his body

keep moving but get inside anyway possble
Old 03-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Dyl-G
Main Daime

Rep Power: 18 Dyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond reputeDyl-G has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,000,075,763.90

i have a similarr question i juss sparred the other day and the guy is taller than me and has a longer reach and he let me get close then counter punched everything i threw, i had to use jabs a lot to get close to him and try to side step, do any of yall have any more advice on how to beat a taller counter puncher?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:40 PM
m00ks
The Human Keg

Rep Power: 594 m00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond reputem00ks has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,403,667.57
Total Points: 2,456,326.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl-G
i have a similarr question i juss sparred the other day and the guy is taller than me and has a longer reach and he let me get close then counter punched everything i threw, i had to use jabs a lot to get close to him and try to side step, do any of yall have any more advice on how to beat a taller counter puncher?
counter punchers usually eat up fakes. You don't always have to initiate. Fight fire with fire, counterpunch his ass.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:04 PM
buff_mike10
Contender

Rep Power: 0 buff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 48,571.00

If your shorter you have an advantage, you get to use your legs to punch. The taller guy has to punch down and cannot. Watch Mike Tyson in the late 80's, then you'll have no problem
Old 03-11-2005, 10:11 PM
joeboxer
Black Square

Rep Power: 21494 joeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond reputejoeboxer has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 229,181.12
Send a message via AIM to joeboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks
counter punchers usually eat up fakes. You don't always have to initiate. Fight fire with fire, counterpunch his ass.
if you don't have Mike Tyson power you need to get good at d-fence.

Or if you just want to hit him hard look to trade blows. When you know he is about to throw the jab, you throw your right hook, you can win in that trade every time.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 PM
manila_assasin
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 14 manila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond reputemanila_assasin has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 42,557.00
Send a message via AIM to manila_assasin Send a message via Yahoo to manila_assasin

Thanks for the suggestions amigos!