Do you know when to take a break? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 09-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Equilibrium
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Rep Power: 22 Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,187,032,567,915.05
Total Points: 2,187,032,586,096.12
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 
Default Do you know when to take a break?

I had been taking the summer of, last week i started going to the gym again and i didn't waste any time. I have been training very hard, sparred 4 times in 7 days and intense training. I have been cutting down my calories intake, i try to stay under 2000 calories a day, and i'm a pretty big guy.

Anyway, i usually take every saturday off and it's enough for me to recuperate and be able to go through another 6 days of training without any problem.

But yesterday i felt tired and sore even though i had taken saturday off. I still went to the gym and had an intense 6 rounds sparring session. I took some hard body shots, last night it was fine but when i woke up this morning i felt like i had been in a car wreck.

I still went to the gym tonight, warmed up, wrapped my hands and started hitting the bag. After a round i just went "**** this, i'm going home". Took my **** and here i am.

It was just an accumulation of physical fatigue and mental fatigue, i'm also pretty stressed out because my father is undergoing surgery tommorow.

So am i the only one who knows when he needs to take some time off? I know some of you keyboard warriors will say that you train 8 hours a day without ever resting but i live in the real world and i think that resting for a day or two only means that i will be able to train at 100% when i get back at it.

What do you guys think?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
sukhenkoy
Mother Russia

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 11 sukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,059,209.75
Send a message via ICQ to sukhenkoy Send a message via Skype™ to sukhenkoy

Just more of a psychological thing than anything, TS. You feel like **** when you take a break because you're used to training hard all the time and feel that a sport like boxing is only for the mentally-strong, and that such people will fight through any type of adversity.

I used to be the same way, but I've gotten to know my body better and I know when to listen to it. Rest is key and if you feel like you need an extra day of rest, take it.

If you're serious about the sport you know when you truly need the rest or when you are simply using an extra day as an excuse for not going through the rigors of training.

I think you're serious about the sport and are doing the right thing. Don't listen to the ensuing comments of "man the **** up".
Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Equilibrium
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Rep Power: 22 Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,187,032,567,915.05
Total Points: 2,187,032,586,096.12
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhenkoy View Post
Just more of a psychological thing than anything, TS. You feel like **** when you take a break because you're used to training hard all the time and feel that a sport like boxing is only for the mentally-strong, and that such people will fight through any type of adversity.

I used to be the same way, but I've gotten to know my body better and I know when to listen to it. Rest is key and if you feel like you need an extra day of rest, take it.

If you're serious about the sport you know when you truly need the rest or when you are simply using an extra day as an excuse for not going through the rigors of training.

I think you're serious about the sport and are doing the right thing. Don't listen to the ensuing comments of "man the **** up".
I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm actually in favor of taking a break when my body is telling me to. I dont feel like **** because i'm not training, i'm feeling like **** because i trained too hard.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 AM
sukhenkoy
Mother Russia

Rep Power: 11 sukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond reputesukhenkoy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,059,209.75
Send a message via ICQ to sukhenkoy Send a message via Skype™ to sukhenkoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm actually in favor of taking a break when my body is telling me to. I dont feel like **** because i'm not training, i'm feeling like **** because i trained too hard.
I understand. What I'm saying is that it seems like your reason for starting the thread in the first place is to have people tell you it's OK to take a break, or at the very least see that other boxers are fine with taking breaks, thus giving you further reason to take yours.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 32 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,233,820,463.55
Total Points: 59,233,977,062.89
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

I take 2 breaks a week and one light day where i just bike.

every week week tues, wed, and thurs i train. friday i break. saturday this week ill be runing 20 miles, sunday ill bike 20 taking it very easy, monday i rest, and tuesday i start again.

most the time i take my days easy during the week. though i use rest days so that i can really push my self to the limit on my long runs.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 AM
DeymarPR
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 DeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond reputeDeymarPR has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 77,418.97

20 miles????
Old 09-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 32 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,233,820,463.55
Total Points: 59,233,977,062.89
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

yeah did 18 last week working on the scranton marathon in pa oct 11th. ill do 5 today, 10 tomorrow, 5 thurs. then 20 miles saturday.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:30 AM
peewee1460
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 13 peewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond reputepeewee1460 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 25,139,035.29
Total Points: 25,165,939.18

i run about 3 times a week, train 3 or 4 days. i can't punch with my left so i'm kind of taking it easy right now, don't really need any breaks.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 AM
RightCross94
Banned

Rep Power: 0 RightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.78
Total Points: 107,844.51
Quality poster - JAB5239 For The Little Gay Loser - Carnivore 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 

I train 6 days a week, twice a day most days. I rest on Sundays.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 AM
IcedBlood
Contender

Total Points: 57,941.44

I normally only train 4 days a week, sometimes maybe 5

Share This With Friends

Tags
break?

User Tag List