• Show
Clear All

RIP Darren Sutherland

Comment

Another one, RIP.

Comment

RIP Champ..

Comment

From what I can gather from his interviews he was a decent bloke with a bright boxing career ahead of him.

RIP and many condolences go out to his family and friends.

Comment

wtf.

That was such a shock when I just looked on the main page.

only read earlier he was fighting with Tony Jeffries in october

wtf, I am seriously shocked, ****ing hell, ****ing hell.

He was one hell of a prospect aswell.

Comment

Why, Darren...

What could bring him to do this. He was a guaranteed champion. An Olympian. What in your life caused you to do this to yourself.

A great and kind person. I know everyone up in Dublin City University will be distraught at this loss. R.I.P

Comment

R.i.p.......

Comment

RIP Darren, here is a bit of back story

I thought I'd never fight again SAYS DARREN SUTHERLAND
                  Sunday Mirror, Jul 27, 2008 by ROY LEONARD

DARREN Sutherland is living the Olympic dream just two years after he thought he would never fight again.

The exciting middleweight talent, part of the five-strong Ireland team in Beijing, is strongly fancied to go close to a medal.

But two years ago the Dubliner feared his career was over when a freak eye injury left him depressed and as far away from Beijing as he could imagine.

Sutherland explained: "I was in a routine fight against a Russian B team in the National Stadium when I got caught with a thumb.

"It knocked the eyeball right back into my head and fractured the eye in two places.

"I was taken straight to hospital where they saw that the muscle that moves the eye upwards was damaged so I couldn't move the eye.

"The hospital put like a plate in it and it's still there - it's not made of metal, but another substance to keep the eye strong.

"It was an awful time for me because at one point I thought I'd never box again.

"The doctors were telling me and my parents that it was very unlikely.

"I'll certainly never forget the summer of 2006.

"I wouldn't go out of the house because it looked as if I was now cross eyed.

At the same time I was watching Darren O'Neill, my big rival, going to compete in the European championships and thinking 'that should have been me'.

"I got pretty down - not being able to do what you do best. It was very hard and six months before the doctors gave me the all clear to start training."

Sutherland didn't waste any time getting himself into top shape for the 2007 Irish championships and completed his comeback with victory in the middleweight final.

He said: "That was such an emotional night for me. I had come back from a lot but you know I've never had another problem and now I'm going to Beijing. That's just amazing and whatever I do there is a major bonus."

Sutherland, the EU middleweight champion, has beaten GB Olympian James Degale in the final two years running.

Now he believes that he can get his hands on a medal in Beijing.

Comment

I just heard of this and came on to leave a message of my condolences.

I'm totally shocked about this, the poor guy must have been in a very dark place to have done this and he will surley be missed.

Rest in Peace Darren, you won't be alone up there with the many other Boxing stars we have already lost.

Comment

damn,really puts things into perspective
                      R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                      X