Boxing Forum
  Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Non Boxing Talk > Boxing Scene Lounge
Register Blogs Chat Arcade Groups Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
blfinish
Amateur

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 301.11
Default Research for a book

Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:37 AM
To: 'Layton, Darlene'
Subject: RE: David Levey

Hi, I am working on your request for the death certificate of David Levey. Is there any more information you can give me? Parents names, date of birth, wifes name, address at time of death? I have found a couple of them and need to confirm which is the correct record. Thank you in advance for all your help

Darlene

This is correspondence between me and the Philly records Dept

Hi Darlene

Great to hear from you.. Yes I do and have gathered a lot of info on Dave or David M Levey. I have a few census forms I found on line we're doing a book on my father Bebop legend Stan Levey..Dad is in most of the books and documentaries on Bebop and Jazz there is some veil of uncertainty in regards to Davids death and his involvement in the boxing world. He is listed in some of the important Nat Fleischers Ring Record books starting in the 40s as a manager promoter dad is only listed in one fight in NY under the name of Sam Levey Heavyweight.. I am 100% sure that is him because he was still fighting when he was playing with Bird and Diz on 52nd Street and also living in NY Maybe this info will help also

1. 1940 Federal Census he David M Levey he was 35 and was married to Esther (Shargo) Levey and had a son (my father) Adolf Levey which was dropped and later changed to Stan or Stanley Levey for obvious reasons he was 14 .. . Now on this particular Census the last E was dropped in Levey to Levy but thats him and the family Stan always spelled it Levey the address at that time was 6163 N 17th Street Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pa.. They have David at 35 and estimated DOB as about 1905 but I have seen 1903 also used
2. 1930 Census David M was 25 and using the Levey spelling he was married to my grandmother to Esther E Levey (Essie could be what the E stands for) Adolf was 3
3. 1910 Census Lists Dave 7 with his parents Herman 27 and Bessie 29 all using the spelling of Levy it also has Isac 52 and Anna 45 grandparents with sisters Stella 4 and Lilly 2
4. In the same year Census it has my grandmother Ester 7 different spelling and Shrago as the last name with her parents name as Samuel and Mary as parents and Jr and Fannie as sisters He is listed in the 1947 to 1958 editions of Nat Fleischer's The Ring Record Book under the Directory of Fight Managers
5. Dave Leveys address at a later date is 324 No. Broad Street, Philadelphia He is listed in the 1947 to 1958 editions of Nat Fleischer's The Ring Record Book under the Directory of Fight Managers

Again thank you very much for your attention to getting this right and not sending out just any Certificate

Sincerely,

Bob Levey

Again in regards to Daves death the family was told by dad that he was in the fight game and used car business with his father Herman and that at the end somewhere around 1950 he committed suicide with a gun because he owed the rough guys quite a bit of money.. It has recently come out from Stans partner on his DVD autobiography "The Original Originalthat Stan was not sure it was suicide, this is what I always believed, that in fact there might have been some foul play but Im not entirely sure of that Dad never talked about all this stuff when we were kids because he didnt want to expose us to the darker sides of life. We never met Dave nor his parents but we did have a relationship with Essie..

We do need to find a link to dads boxing career and a link to Daves boxing history also I have looked thru Newspapers of the 30s and 40s over and over I have found little on them I have found quite a bit of info on Daves fighters that dad mentions over and over***8230; Georgie Miller, Pedro Tomez and that dad worked out at the same gym Bob Montgomery did and Ike Williams Stan Levey was known as a Legendary drummer in his time also a guy NO one messed with he spent a couple years away on the farm as he told us and then never looked back on the things that got him there in the first place***8230;From what I understand he fought only as a pro but a prelim guy. Again he mentioned a lot of names and I just dont think he would mention them as he was really not one to build himself up in any way we actually had to pry things out of him His co-producer on the DVD didnt know he was a drummer for 10 yrs true story and one day the name Miles Davis came up and dad said I used to live with him Arthurs mouth dropped and he said what do you mean you lived with Miles? Stan came back with Yeah I used to be a drummeras by this time he gave up on the music business which he had a great career for over 35 yrs anyway thats why I believe there is more stuff out there I just need to find it.

I have so far been helped by Henry Hascup and John DiSanto and found quite a bit and Mike DeLisa contacted me too which led to finding the right Newspaper sites to go to So far so good

**JFYI I did do a bit of boxing when I was in my early 20's and trained under Phil Garcia and his son Phil Jr... Sr. beat Mando Romos in the golden gloves...but at the time I started I was a bit to old but Phil wanted me to go on and said I was the best in that group but I didn't have that fire anymore...I did go into TKD and competed nationally and in L.A. and Colorado got my 4th degree BB and 25 yrs of that like my dad I thought maybe you should go back to drumming lol... I did ... I have nothing but respect for you boxers..amazing talent.... anyway if any of you think you could help me in someway I would appreciate it and I know Stan would too..

Thanks again

Bob Levey

Last edited by blfinish; Yesterday at 06:34 PM..