When doing Chin ups is using weights very effetcive? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Spray_resistant
Business Decisions

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rep Power: 116 Spray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 84,224,991,667.87
Total Points: 6,095,381,812,751.69
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest for you and vanity to use - Hi-Dro 
Whoreville Appreciation Award - Jack Napier for a friend - xi! one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Happy Holidays to you are your gorgeous missus. x x x - *Boss Lady* Happy New Year - Freedom. 
No Message - Tha_Greatest Blue parallelogram 4 u sir - Russian Crushin Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy holidays bro! - led* valuable addition to the training forum - jas 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - -Kev- 
Send a message via AIM to Spray_resistant
Default When doing Chin ups is using weights very effetcive?

I really want to maximize my chin up routine and I am wondering if incorporating ankle weights and other weights on my person is really that beneficial. Right now I start off with a 1st set of 12reps, 2nd set of 11reps, 3rd set/w 10lb ankle weights on of 10reps, 4th set with the 10lb ankle weights and 2.5lb plates in the pockets of 8 reps, and 5th with no weights of whatever I can do after that which is usually 8 reps.

Would it be better if I didn't use weights and increased the reps or keep trying to add on more weight as time goes on?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Left2body
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 166 Left2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond reputeLeft2body has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 9,547,653.53
Total Points: 9,653,877.13
thanks for the help - texanballer 

I use to use weight's for my bar work and for my dips. The reason for me being was that at a certain point of working out you know your body and when your muscles get a good workout or pump.

At a certain point I use to get winded before actually feeling the pump when I just upped my reps. So I used a belt that has a chain to which you attach a plate (most gyms have these). I use to put just enough weight so that I would feel the workout with 12-15 reps.

I would use more weight with my dips than my bar work though.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Hanoncs
Contender

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 9,270.41

Depends on what weight class for big guys no but for small guys maybe(After they can do 100 pretty easy). Remember big muscles slow you down
Old 09-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Phenomkidd
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Phenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond reputePhenomkidd has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 658,572.00
Total Points: 690,829.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoncs View Post
Depends on what weight class for big guys no but for small guys maybe(After they can do 100 pretty easy). Remember big muscles slow you down
Stop posting BS you know nothing about. You can train for strength rather than size.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 32 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,233,820,463.55
Total Points: 59,233,976,815.89
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

well if you want to try more variety it would improve your routine.
say
10 wide grip
10 close grip

10 staggered with your left
10 staggered with your right
if you have a pull up bar hang a towel over it. grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other then switch up.

10 pull ups let go with one hand and slowly drop
10 let go with the other
make sure you can touch the bar and the ground at the same time
you can try this with the staggered pull ups letting go of the towel and dropping

10 hanging serratus crunches
6 weighted hanging serratus crunches
get a wide grip and do like a crunch to the left and a crunch to the right while your hanging their. try to keep your shoulders flexed

10 wide
10 close

if your going to do normal pull ups weighted i would reccomend that you hang for say 10 seconds with weights on shoulders flexed, allways try to keep your shoulders flexed its better for the form and its better for your shoulders,do a pull up as explosively as possiable then take 5 seconds to drop rest stretch now hang for 15 seconds keep increasing it by 5 till you hit 30 then drop back to hanging for 10 or 5 even. after that i would do a few non weighted wide/narrow grip.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Spray_resistant
Business Decisions

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Rep Power: 116 Spray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond reputeSpray_resistant has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 84,224,991,667.87
Total Points: 6,095,381,812,751.69
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest for you and vanity to use - Hi-Dro 
Whoreville Appreciation Award - Jack Napier for a friend - xi! one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Happy Holidays to you are your gorgeous missus. x x x - *Boss Lady* Happy New Year - Freedom. 
No Message - Tha_Greatest Blue parallelogram 4 u sir - Russian Crushin Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy holidays bro! - led* valuable addition to the training forum - jas 
Send a message via AIM to Spray_resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
well if you want to try more variety it would improve your routine.
say
10 wide grip
10 close grip

10 staggered with your left
10 staggered with your right
if you have a pull up bar hang a towel over it. grab the towel with one hand and the bar with the other then switch up.

10 pull ups let go with one hand and slowly drop
10 let go with the other
make sure you can touch the bar and the ground at the same time
you can try this with the staggered pull ups letting go of the towel and dropping

10 hanging serratus crunches
6 weighted hanging serratus crunches
get a wide grip and do like a crunch to the left and a crunch to the right while your hanging their. try to keep your shoulders flexed

10 wide
10 close

if your going to do normal pull ups weighted i would reccomend that you hang for say 10 seconds with weights on shoulders flexed, allways try to keep your shoulders flexed its better for the form and its better for your shoulders,do a pull up as explosively as possiable then take 5 seconds to drop rest stretch now hang for 15 seconds keep increasing it by 5 till you hit 30 then drop back to hanging for 10 or 5 even. after that i would do a few non weighted wide/narrow grip.
Thanks for the advice, hadn't thought about redistributing my weight to one side or another. Green K sent.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Hanoncs
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomkidd View Post
Stop posting BS you know nothing about. You can train for strength rather than size.
So where the **** is your advice? Your probably a couch boxer. Have fun getting your slow ass countered.

Last edited by Hanoncs; 09-09-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Equilibrium
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21 Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,187,032,567,915.05
Total Points: 2,187,032,586,024.12
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 

I don't know man, i'm 230 and i think thats heavy enough, i do 4 series of 8.

But if you're a smaller guy you could probably do it.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Spartacus Sully
The Great John L.

Rep Power: 32 Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 59,233,820,463.55
Total Points: 59,233,976,815.89
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoncs View Post
So where the **** is your advice? Your probably a couch boxer. Have fun getting your slow ass countered.
Big muscles dont mean slow muscles.......spongey muscles are slow muscles. and your size dosnt matter its how you incorporate the weights into your work out that gives you certain results
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Hanoncs
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I don't know man, i'm 230 and i think thats heavy enough, i do 4 series of 8.

But if you're a smaller guy you could probably do it.
Exactly like I said big guys don't need more weight

Share This With Friends

Tags
chin, effetcive?, weights

User Tag List