Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 AM
GhostFighter
Contender

Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 118,206.96
Default Knuckle injury

Ive been boxing with an injured knuckle (middlefinger)for months and now it even hurts when im pressing it.

It started when i did left hooks on the heavy bag for almost an hour straight and even 6 weeks rest didnt help because the hurt started again when i punched the bag. Its also seems slightly bigger, i quess its from the swollennes, do i need to ice it or will warm therapy help more?

Anyway im thinking of laying of and form hitting for 6 months! Dramatic for i got no choice
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 08-22-2009, 04:59 AM
RightCross94
Banned

Rep Power: 0 RightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.78
Total Points: 87,949.51
Quality poster - JAB5239 For The Little Gay Loser - Carnivore 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFighter View Post
Ive been boxing with an injured knuckle (middlefinger)for months and now it even hurts when im pressing it.

It started when i did left hooks on the heavy bag for almost an hour straight and even 6 weeks rest didnt help because the hurt started again when i punched the bag. Its also seems slightly bigger, i quess its from the swollennes, do i need to ice it or will warm therapy help more?

Anyway im thinking of laying of and form hitting for 6 months! Dramatic for i got no choice
why would you do something as idiotic as that?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:23 PM
RightHooker
Contender

Total Points: 7,034.64

Yeah, that's pretty stupid.

Anyways, I've had my share of knuckle injuries. If it still hurt after six weeks of rest, go to the doctor and get an xray. I've had it so my knuckle was badly swollen and sore on Friday, and after a weekend of rest and icing it I was able to do some light padwork on monday with minimul discomfort (I had a bit of extra padding in my wraps). So it shouldn't still be sore after six weeks rest unless there is something more severe done to it.

It was a year ago, so I may be remembering wrong, but my coach at the time told me to ice it 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off and then when the swelling goes down, switch to heat. Can't remember the reasoning behind that, but it worked.

If you do get it fixed, put a piece of a sponge inside your handwraps for extra padding. And don't throw power shots at the heavy bag for an hour.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM
shyboirank#1
Contender

Rep Power: 8 shyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond reputeshyboirank#1 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 32,808.50
Total Points: 51,037.78

you need to handwrap better thats what caused the injury

take couple of days or weeks off and go to a chiropractic
Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
rskumm21
Banned

Rep Power: 0 rskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these partsrskumm21 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 752,266.91
Total Points: 906,722.43
sorry for the red k - Truth 

Are you wrapping your hands properly? This is a must in boxing if you want to take it seriously. Get some longer wraps (at least 180) and wrap in between the knuckles. Or like the other poster said, get some foam or a sponge. They also make all sorts of knuckle guards and things of that nature. Also what kind of gloves are you using? Invest in some good quality bag gloves. 16 oz gloves, especially since you already have hand problems. They don't even have to be Winnings, just some elite gloves. Title and Ringside make good gloves with great foam and gel for 60-70 bucks. I'm not sure, but you may already be doing some of these things, but the problem shouldn't persist if you are. If you indeed are and still have issues, then you definitely should seek some medical attention.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM
mrboxer
Banned

Rep Power: 0 mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 41,887.24

you should have it checked out by medical personal and see what the diagnosis is,when you were hitting the bag were you hitting it with a properly wrapped and gloved hand,
Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
GhostFighter
Contender

Total Points: 118,206.96

When i was hitting the bag i was using an old focus mitts or whatever there called, right now using a 12OZ gloves and when punching at the bag or a partner wearing handpads it still hurts when i hit hard, yes even after months since i did this stupidity. I wear knucle guards now under my gloves now but i think im going to buy hand wraps instead and a 16OZ gloves and see a doctor cause it sucks boxing with a handicapped knuckle!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
mrboxer
Banned

Rep Power: 0 mrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these partsmrboxer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 41,887.24

if you keep hitting the bag via a wild windmill uncoordinated slap happy way your knuckle will not heal how is your shoulder has it been dislocated yet,usually when someone hits the bag at the same pace as they are trying to swat flies the shoulder tends to come apart,i recommend that you abstain from further bag use for 6 months after which you are to join a gym with a proper trainer by your side,good luck