Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Reply
Thread Navigation

#1
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 AM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thailand
Age: 50
Posts: 4,244
Rep Power: 15 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,214,829.82
Bank: 1,598,798,629.03
Total Points: 1,609,013,458.85
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 
Default What If Tony Ayala Never Went Inside..?

I always wondered how well Ayala would have done if he wasn't a serial offender out of the ring.. Would he have been in the mix with the big 4 of Hagler, Hearns, Duran & Leonard.. Or would he have met fellow light middles, Benitez, McCallum, Jackson & Mugabe..

How good was Ayala?

If he was good enough to compete with the above, then I think we've missed out on some classics..
After 18 years inside, he was still able to KO mediocre opposition & you could see flashes of what could have been..

Your thoughts, and/or any interesting stories please..
Reply With Quote
mickey malone is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#2
Old 08-20-2009, 08:11 AM
talip bin osman
angst and revenge
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampines, Singapore
Posts: 4,804
Rep Power: 26 talip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 1,071,151,191,212.11
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,071,151,191,212.11
great poster - MaD vEiN prolific poster - Jerub_Baal thank you talip merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Season's Greetings - Freedom. 
Welcome to the ranks - Terrel 
Default

if ayala never went inside then us fans would have been gifted with a likely match between him & duran...

one mean warrior against another...
Reply With Quote
talip bin osman is offline
#3
Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thailand
Age: 50
Posts: 4,244
Rep Power: 15 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,214,829.82
Bank: 1,598,798,629.03
Total Points: 1,609,013,458.85
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talip bin osman View Post
if ayala never went inside then us fans would have been gifted with a likely match between him & duran...

one mean warrior against another...
A virtual certainty.. That would have been something else.. A 50/50 fight at 154.. 50/50 is how I'd have seen it at the time..
Reply With Quote
mickey malone is offline
#4
Old 08-20-2009, 07:05 PM
GJC
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,957
Rep Power: 14 GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 1,038,107.31
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,058,506.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey malone View Post
I always wondered how well Ayala would have done if he wasn't a serial offender out of the ring.. Would he have been in the mix with the big 4 of Hagler, Hearns, Duran & Leonard.. Or would he have met fellow light middles, Benitez, McCallum, Jackson & Mugabe..

How good was Ayala?

If he was good enough to compete with the above, then I think we've missed out on some classics..
After 18 years inside, he was still able to KO mediocre opposition & you could see flashes of what could have been..

Your thoughts, and/or any interesting stories please..
Wasn't he scheduled to meet Moore instead of Duran before his "trouble"
I saw him on a few undercards and he did look the part if a little raw.
Him against Duran would have been interesting for sure, re the other fighters its got to be one of the great what ifs I guess.
From what I understand about this guy though it does sound like the best place for him was inside so not a huge loss in the scheme of things.
Reply With Quote
GJC is offline
#5
Old 08-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Silencers
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 32
Posts: 22,010
Rep Power: 59 Silencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond reputeSilencers has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 4,288,352.12
Bank: 6,307,531,835,942.69
Total Points: 6,307,536,124,294.81
You're a great poster man!  The site is lucky to have you. - abosworth You're my hero!! :D - Spiegelo It's a pleasure to read your posts. - The_Bringer boxingscene's Top Ten Serious Poster - mickey gomez boxingsences best happy xmas man lets drink to a good 1 good health - The Jackal 
Have an apple bro - danc1984 Happy 09 to one of NSB's finest! - KrisSilver Too many good things to say. But in short, a humble &amp;amp; very knowledgeable poster. - J. HITTER One serious poster of BoxingScene FROM: - FasTHarD Have a beer, for one of the best Posters - Golden Boy 360 
Apple for the teacher, - mitruth from one intelligent  person to another ;) - Massage Queen Floyd Mayweather  Greatest fighter of his era - Malcolm. Boxing Scences Finest Happy bithday - The Jackal To one of Boxing Scene's Elite. - Izrock 
For the fight man - The Jackal For one of Boxingscene's finest! - Shadows No Message - Mucus ATG poster - Mucus Have a slice - Juan Gabriel 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Sox8055 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Jackal Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Sox8055 
Default

Ayala was a natural in the ring, he looked like he was at home in there. He carried his left hand a little low though and I'm sure a higher level of opposition would've taken advantage of that but he was a ferocious fighter and knew how to get his opponents out of there when he got them hurt.

I think he would've lost to the fabulous four, Duran, Hearns, Leonard and Hagler but he would've made them fight every second of every round, and who knows? With more development he might have been able to beat Duran because Duran was a bit erratic at that point of his career, Ayala might have been able to catch Duran on one of his off nights.

Benitez would've been a bad stylisitic matchup for Ayala but Ayala might have fought Benitez when Benitez started to slide around '83 so Ayala probably would've won that one.

I think McCallum would've beaten him but Jackson and Mugabe would've been even fights, Ayala's chin was largely untested during his youth even though he did get knocked down once, he took some big shots from Yory Boy Campas and didn't go down, Campas isn't as big a puncher but it shed some light on Ayala's chin.

Tony Ayala Jr. was a big 'what if' in the world of boxing. The guy had phenomenal talent.
Reply With Quote
Silencers is offline
#6
Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thailand
Age: 50
Posts: 4,244
Rep Power: 15 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,214,829.82
Bank: 1,598,798,629.03
Total Points: 1,609,013,458.85
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
Wasn't he scheduled to meet Moore instead of Duran before his "trouble"
I saw him on a few undercards and he did look the part if a little raw.
Him against Duran would have been interesting for sure, re the other fighters its got to be one of the great what ifs I guess.
From what I understand about this guy though it does sound like the best place for him was inside so not a huge loss in the scheme of things.
Yes, he was due to face Moore.. But Davey went on to fight Duran instead.. I think Ayala would have done a similar job on Moore to be honest..
He was a scum bag though.. He was a man with no morales or concience.. Ayala treated everyone the same, like dogs, & that was irrespective of whether he liked you or not.. Prison is the best place for him, & it's yet another sad story of what could have been.. I understand he's currently back doing more time & is obviously a genuine bad ass who won't learn & can't be helped..
Reply With Quote
mickey malone is offline
#7
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 AM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thailand
Age: 50
Posts: 4,244
Rep Power: 15 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 10,214,829.82
Bank: 1,598,798,629.03
Total Points: 1,609,013,458.85
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers View Post
Ayala was a natural in the ring, he looked like he was at home in there. He carried his left hand a little low though and I'm sure a higher level of opposition would've taken advantage of that but he was a ferocious fighter and knew how to get his opponents out of there when he got them hurt.

I think he would've lost to the fabulous four, Duran, Hearns, Leonard and Hagler but he would've made them fight every second of every round, and who knows? With more development he might have been able to beat Duran because Duran was a bit erratic at that point of his career, Ayala might have been able to catch Duran on one of his off nights.

Benitez would've been a bad stylisitic matchup for Ayala but Ayala might have fought Benitez when Benitez started to slide around '83 so Ayala probably would've won that one.

I think McCallum would've beaten him but Jackson and Mugabe would've been even fights, Ayala's chin was largely untested during his youth even though he did get knocked down once, he took some big shots from Yory Boy Campas and didn't go down, Campas isn't as big a puncher but it shed some light on Ayala's chin.

Tony Ayala Jr. was a big 'what if' in the world of boxing. The guy had phenomenal talent.
Your post is spot on as to how I see it... Benitez slid rapidly after losing to Hearns, & would have probably lost to Ayala around that time..
Reply With Quote
mickey malone is offline
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ayala, inside..?, tony

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2013 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.