Freddie Mills - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 PM #1
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Richie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 35,878.05
Default Freddie Mills

hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any information on Freddie Mills the world champion who fought from 1937-1950 who also fought joey maxim. I would be interested in finding out more about his style or maybe even seeing some footage, as he is the only world champion ever from bournemouth, where i live. Just thought I would ask seeing as some of the people on this forum are very knowledgable.

Thanks ( Green K will be given )

Richie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-18-2009, 09:48 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,568,015,645,127.00
Total Points: 7,569,015,952,850.98
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Here are his two fights with Gus Lesnevich which he is most known for:

Mills vs Bruce Wood****:

Mills vs Paco Bueno:

Mills vs Johnny Ralph:

TheGreatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 PM #3
Contender

Richie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura about

wow thank you so much lol
Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 PM #4
Contender

any interesting stories/ information?
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Kid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeKid McCoy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 30,041,545.01
You know boxers, Kid!  Good writing style also! - Terry A To one of the wisest and most knowledgable posters on this site. - JAB5239 for your excellent contributions here - Scott9945 To another one of the very best members here - Terry A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-G View Post
hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any information on Freddie Mills the world champion who fought from 1937-1950 who also fought joey maxim. I would be interested in finding out more about his style or maybe even seeing some footage, as he is the only world champion ever from bournemouth, where i live. Just thought I would ask seeing as some of the people on this forum are very knowledgable.

Thanks ( Green K will be given )

One of the gamest fighters to ever step in the ring. He was no ring technician, rather a tough, relentless brawler who often shipped a lot of punishment. He was hugely popular in his day, just the sort of tonic post-war Britain needed.

He'd fight anyone, and his manager would match him with anyone, including a few he should never have been in the ring with. One time they matched him against Joe Baksi, a fully-fledged heavyweight who outweighed him by about 30lbs and gave Freddie a real beating.

I have his autobiography somewhere. I'll have to fish it out when I get a chance.
Kid McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,014,887.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid McCoy View Post
One of the gamest fighters to ever step in the ring. He was no ring technician, rather a tough, relentless brawler who often shipped a lot of punishment. He was hugely popular in his day, just the sort of tonic post-war Britain needed.

He'd fight anyone, and his manager would match him with anyone, including a few he should never have been in the ring with. One time they matched him against Joe Baksi, a fully-fledged heavyweight who outweighed him by about 30lbs and gave Freddie a real beating.

I have his autobiography somewhere. I'll have to fish it out when I get a chance.
You won't get a better discription than this..
All I can add, is that Mills life came to a tragic & controversial end.. Similar to Sonny Liston, he was heavily involved with the local hoods (Kray Twins from East London) & was discovered dead one morning, slumped over the wheel of his parked car with a single bullet wound to the head.. No one really knows whether it was suicide or murder to this day... Neither do I...
mickey malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 AM #7
Undisputed Champion

GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,068,091.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey malone View Post
You won't get a better discription than this..
All I can add, is that Mills life came to a tragic & controversial end.. Similar to Sonny Liston, he was heavily involved with the local hoods (Kray Twins from East London) & was discovered dead one morning, slumped over the wheel of his parked car with a single bullet wound to the head.. No one really knows whether it was suicide or murder to this day... Neither do I...
Doubt it was the twins to be honest, don't buy into all this modern day robin hood revisionism but don't put them up for Freddie.
Freddie was a game fighter probably too brave for his own good especially when he used tyo go up to HW.
1st fight I went to was when my Dad took me as a pup to see Mills against Baksi, still gives me nightmares.
GJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 AM #8
Undisputed Champion

GJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond reputeGJC has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020,399.65
Total Points: 2,068,091.96
To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage good poster - Counter right Excellent Poster. - Barnburner A cold pint for a knowlegeable old bastard - The Surgeon Super-Poster-- from McG - McGoorty 
You look like you need a proper DRINK - McGoorty This stuff should help the faculties - McGoorty Rest in peace old friend! - JAB5239 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-G View Post
any interesting stories/ information?
Started boxing by doing the fairground booths, i.e. last 3 rounds for ten bob. Mickey M will explain
GJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
Doubt it was the twins to be honest, don't buy into all this modern day robin hood revisionism but don't put them up for Freddie.
Freddie was a game fighter probably too brave for his own good especially when he used tyo go up to HW.
1st fight I went to was when my Dad took me as a pup to see Mills against Baksi, still gives me nightmares.
His bravery was second to none.. I think he went in with Wood**** or London at heavy in a game, but losing effort..
I'd be suprised to, if it were the Krays that bumped him off.. Although he posed in several photos with them, I don't think there was ever a motive, but the circumstances were a bit suspicious.. Please don't think that I'm blackening his name, but rumors had circulated about his sexuality, & it has been suggested that something may have been going on with Ronnie Kray.. However, I have no real information to varify this, & would strongly suspect it was hearsay..
Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJC View Post
Started boxing by doing the fairground booths, i.e. last 3 rounds for ten bob. Mickey M will explain
They were common place in London during the 50's & 60's, & regarded as a quicker route than the amateurs.. Trainers & promoters would often stand at the back & keep a low profile, while scouting for talent..

Share This With Friends

Tags
freddie, mills

User Tag List