Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition
Thread Navigation

Old 02-13-2005, 01:05 PM
tyson
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 29 tyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond reputetyson has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 212,685.16
Total Points: 555,042.62
wise cat - Addison they don't know who they fucking with... - sweet pea 50 Once again. Masterful posting. I bow... - sweet pea 50 sexy beast - Addison I hope this leopard doesn't change his spots. - mickey gomez 
Just cause - ~Mi*Vida*Loca~ Iron Tyson - Addison Great Poster - Dorian Keep up the good work. - Jim Jeffries No Message - Mike Tyson77 
Good morning, Jason Statham. - ЯiZO 
Send a message via MSN to tyson
Default How to Jab

Watching different fights, you always hear the commentator say "He's got one of the best jabs in boxing.."

But what exactly is a great jab?
A jab that knocks the other guys head back?
Or maybe a long, reaching jab that taps on the top of the head?
What's your take on this? What is a perfect jab, and how do you throw it?
Please give some referanses to fighters, so you can demonstrate what you mean...

They say Lewis' jab is excellent, but he reaches, sticks his chin out, and drops his arm after the punch, so how can that be good?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Stickman
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 Stickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond reputeStickman has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 273.06
Total Points: 93,546.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson
Watching different fights, you always hear the commentator say "He's got one of the best jabs in boxing.."

But what exactly is a great jab?
A jab that knocks the other guys head back?
Or maybe a long, reaching jab that taps on the top of the head?
What's your take on this? What is a perfect jab, and how do you throw it?
Please give some referanses to fighters, so you can demonstrate what you mean...

They say Lewis' jab is excellent, but he reaches, sticks his chin out, and drops his arm after the punch, so how can that be good?
A good jab is thrown constantly, keeps the other fighter trying to avoid it, gives you a range marker, and sets up your power shots for you. That simple. It doesn't have to be hard, just thrown with at least some intent, thrown often, and with accuracy. The jab is what keeps the other guy occupied while you set about beating him. Rahman has a nice jab, Klitchko has an excellant jab, and uses it with great frequency, and is in large part his reason for success. Any fighter in history who had an excellant jab, and threw it often, was usually dominant in his division, at one time or another.

A shotgun jab is just an explosive jab that really hurts
Old 02-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Tha Greatest
boxingscene legend

Rep Power: 21518 Tha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 490,119.52
Performance worthy of a beer. Enjoy - El Gallo Negro! U R A Funny Son of a Bitch - Stones In Exile Funny S.O.B. - The Beatles Dome King - Firewall A gift for the Dome King - Tomato Can 
No Message - JAB5239 No Message - BoxingGenius27 cheers for posting on my thread abt valero broner much appreciated - robson24 Sup bro - El Angel For Giving the Giants Credit where credit was due. You have my respect. - BrushMyHair 
Default ya

like Arturo Gatti ironicly had a good jab in his last fight
Old 02-13-2005, 06:23 PM
buff_mike10
Contender

Rep Power: 0 buff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these partsbuff_mike10 is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 50,764.00

A jab is excellent for keeping a guy off that comes in constantly, and is also good for gettin a guy into punching range. Ali had the fastest jab in history, and i think Larry Holmes had the most powerful one. Larry has actually knocked guys down with his jab, he threw it from his hip and shocked alot of opponents.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:04 PM
rsl
Banned

Rep Power: 0 rsl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond reputersl has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 51,301.00

Why the jab? 1. It's a rangefinder 2. Set your powerpunches up 3. Use it as a distraction, or block his vision. What is a great jab? If you are able to do those 3 things mentioned above then you have a pretty good thing going and everything will be much easier. There are few fighters w/ exceptional athletic ability , but there's even less natural jabbers I can only think of 2 - 3 fighters who are naturals and that would be Tommy Hearns, Larry Holmes, and Junior " Poison " Jones. Some good ones are DLH, Bowe, Ali...
Old 02-13-2005, 07:46 PM
bobbyjones
Contender

Rep Power: 0 bobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these partsbobbyjones is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 21,937.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl
Why the jab? 1. It's a rangefinder 2. Set your powerpunches up 3. Use it as a distraction, or block his vision. What is a great jab? If you are able to do those 3 things mentioned above then you have a pretty good thing going and everything will be much easier. There are few fighters w/ exceptional athletic ability , but there's even less natural jabbers I can only think of 2 - 3 fighters who are naturals and that would be Tommy Hearns, Larry Holmes, and Junior " Poison " Jones. Some good ones are DLH, Bowe, Ali...

A jab can be powerful like Holmes or Lewis who could jsut decimate their opponents with their jabs.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Tha Greatest
boxingscene legend

Rep Power: 21518 Tha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond reputeTha Greatest has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 490,119.52
Performance worthy of a beer. Enjoy - El Gallo Negro! U R A Funny Son of a Bitch - Stones In Exile Funny S.O.B. - The Beatles Dome King - Firewall A gift for the Dome King - Tomato Can 
No Message - JAB5239 No Message - BoxingGenius27 cheers for posting on my thread abt valero broner much appreciated - robson24 Sup bro - El Angel For Giving the Giants Credit where credit was due. You have my respect. - BrushMyHair 
Default ya

Sonny Liston would knock people OUT with his jab!!

a jab also ruins someones rhythym.

Someone comes to through a big combination at me, i pop the double jab, and their timing is off, then their MINE!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:37 AM
Pugnacious_Z
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 12 Pugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond reputePugnacious_Z has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 50,799.44
Total Points: 79,632.82
Default eya

tyson knocked julius down with his jab
Old 02-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Eken
Contender

Rep Power: 0 Eken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these partsEken is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 11,769.00

I can only agree with what you other guys have already said.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:07 PM
jack_the_rippuh
I to your mom..

Rep Power: 21554 jack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond reputejack_the_rippuh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,478,667.72
Total Points: 83,913,167.46
thanks for helping me dig it - boxing_prospect a bribe to red k wlad owns and to tell him it's from i am ike. lol - i am ike since you feel ill , player. an apple a day keep the doctor away. - i am ike here swallow all these pills and it'll help you throw up. - i am ike please vote richloc for mod in 2008 - Left Hook Tua 
One of boxingscene's best - BostonGuy For the new boxingscene millionaire... Oh i forgot hook me some of your good K mate.... - FasTHarD Best Poster On Boxingscene! - Dorian THE GOAT - RJJ The Truth To a fellow dark mind. - Mizzou 
to the most sick minded individual to ever step foot in BoxingScene...we await your return jackula...mwahahahaa - BritishBoxing92 

Maybe you should try throwing short stiff jabs first when you shadow box then try to open up with those rangy jabs...that helped me out.