Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM
cotto16
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 cotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond reputecotto16 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,825.20
Total Points: 1,405,576.75
Default Do you think Jack Dempsey is overrated?

well? do you belive dempsey is overrated? bert sugar ranked him the 9th best fighter of all time. how do you rank him? and do you belive he's overrated?
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 07-12-2009, 02:59 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 175,771,875,388.77
Total Points: 176,772,122,464.63
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Ranking him one of the top 10 greatest of all time is overrating him.

As I've stated previously, there has never been another heavyweight champion who did not fight his obvious number 1 contender for as long as Dempsey. After winning the championship, he became more interested in being a celebrity and an actor than defending his title against the very best, which were Harry Wills and also the much smaller Harry Greb.

I do recognize his ability and the several impressive wins he had before winning the title and right after it. Defending the title just 5 times 7 years takes away from it though.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:19 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,556,126,920.71
Total Points: 7,757,262,996.11
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

massively overrated by boxing historians - he was still good though, just not anywhere near the top 10. I think even Rocky would have beat him.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

Quote:
Originally Posted by them_apples View Post
massively overrated by boxing historians - he was still good though, just not anywhere near the top 10. I think even Rocky would have beat him.
Maybe.

I do think that Dempsey was very talented though. It's actually his numerous filmed sparring sessions that I'm most impressed by, more so than his actual fights (especially the wild brawl with Firpo).

For a man who could move his head and use his feet like that, he sure didn't seem to utilize those skills to the full extent.

Watch from 6:40 onwards:

Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM
billionaire
Banned

Rep Power: 0 billionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these partsbillionaire is infamous around these parts
Bank: 13,091.31
Total Points: 271,669.80
Great post on Campbell - Massage Queen For exposing Joe Louis - Slimey Limey Buffalo Bills - siablo14 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - SigmaMu 

yes he is more known for his popularity than his actual fighting skills...not to say he was a bad fighter just not top 10.....bert sugar probly saw him live thats why he likes him so much....
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionaire View Post
yes he is more known for his popularity than his actual fighting skills...not to say he was a bad fighter just not top 10.....bert sugar probly saw him live thats why he likes him so much....
Sugar isn't that old. He isn't old enough to have seen Louis live, atleast a prime Louis.

I think he quite simply overrates Dempsey, perhaps due to his popularity. When it comes down to it, Dempsey's resume is no better than Harry Wills', in fact it's probably worse. Most don't rate Wills as top 50, Sugar has him at #82.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Thread Stealer
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 31 Thread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 41,048,233.43
Most knowledgeable poster on NSB - BatTheMan Boxing Guru - DWiens421 4k posts. Keep up the great work! - danc1984 To an excellent poster - JAB5239 No Message - Old Coward 
you're the man - Dambala For being a great poster - -IronMike- 

I think he is. I recognize and respect the fact that he had a more modern style and did a lot for the sport, but in terms of actual work done as a fighter (particularly his reign as champ), he doesn't belong nearly as high as I've often seen him get ranked.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 101,215,094,502,569.42
Total Points: 101,215,094,506,065.12
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

Quote:
Yeah, but you consider anyone that the boxing historians like is over-rated.....that and anyone who fought before 1960

Poet
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 7,556,126,920.71
Total Points: 7,757,262,996.11
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
Yeah, but you consider anyone that the boxing historians like is over-rated.....that and anyone who fought before 1960

Poet
I was only exaggerating it because I see him hit lists sometimes as high as no.2

On a flat plane he floats around perhaps mid 20's.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Rep Power: 57 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 101,215,094,502,569.42
Total Points: 101,215,094,506,065.12
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy Stardust

Quote:
I was only exaggerating it because I see him hit lists sometimes as high as no.2

On a flat plane he floats around perhaps mid 20's.
I actually have him ranked #4 on my Heavyweight ATG list.

Poet