Ray Robinson against boxers. - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 06-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Richie-G
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 9 Richie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 35,433.05
Default Ray Robinson against boxers.

From most of the footage I have seen of SRR, it seems that most of his opponents were come forward aggressive brawlers or just strong fighters, as opposed to pure boxers e.g Lamotta, Basilio, Turpin, Fullmer, Olson.

Does anyone know how he fared against pure boxers, as I haven't seen any footage of him fighting fighters in this mould and was wondering how he would fight and what it would look like. The only fighter I can really think of would be Kid Gavilan, has anyone seen any footage of this fight? I ask this question as I just wonder how he would box against a slick boxer. Does anyone know of any other fighters who he fought in this mould/ or have any footage?

Thanks.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Oriachim
Interim Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 10 Oriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond reputeOriachim has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,160,397.48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-G View Post
From most of the footage I have seen of SRR, it seems that most of his opponents were come forward aggressive brawlers or just strong fighters, as opposed to pure boxers e.g Lamotta, Basilio, Turpin, Fullmer, Olson.

Does anyone know how he fared against pure boxers, as I haven't seen any footage of him fighting fighters in this mould and was wondering how he would fight and what it would look like. The only fighter I can really think of would be Kid Gavilan, has anyone seen any footage of this fight? I ask this question as I just wonder how he would box against a slick boxer. Does anyone know of any other fighters who he fought in this mould/ or have any footage?

Thanks.
He owned everyone hence the fact he had a 179-1 record upto his downfall.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:37 AM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 17 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,008,720.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:

Thanks.
You do have a point...
The majority of his fights were against non stylist tough guys... He had a reputation of knocking the teeth out of "chew piano wire, piss blood" fighters...
The only two stylists he fought, who immediatelly come to mind are Paul Pender & Joey Maxim, & he didn't fare so well.. Granted, Maxim was a WC L/HW and Pender got in at the right time...
As already mentioned by Oriachim, he owned everyone in the early days, and I'm sure some of those guys were purists (to a degree), But he still never answered your question, and as already said, you DO have a point..
Towards the end of his career, he obviously faded and lost to inferior fighters like Mick Leahy from Ireland....
Summing up.... I'd say inspite of his greatness, he WAS the only REAL stylist of his generation.... Good thread.....
Old 06-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 60 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 210,596,738,084,839.31
Total Points: 210,596,738,126,650.81
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest No Message - Tha_Greatest 
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey malone View Post
You do have a point...
The majority of his fights were against non stylist tough guys... He had a reputation of knocking the teeth out of "chew piano wire, piss blood" fighters...
The only two stylists he fought, who immediatelly come to mind are Paul Pender & Joey Maxim, & he didn't fare so well.. Granted, Maxim was a WC L/HW and Pender got in at the right time...
As already mentioned by Oriachim, he owned everyone in the early days, and I'm sure some of those guys were purists (to a degree), But he still never answered your question, and as already said, you DO have a point..
Towards the end of his career, he obviously faded and lost to inferior fighters like Mick Leahy from Ireland....
Summing up.... I'd say inspite of his greatness, he WAS the only REAL stylist of his generation.... Good thread.....
Have to disagree with you there: The afore mentioned Kid Gavilan (whom Robinson beat) was as slick and crafty as they come.

Poet
Old 06-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Richie-G
Contender

Rep Power: 9 Richie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura aboutRichie-G has a spectacular aura about
Total Points: 35,433.05

is there any footage of him against pender or gavilan??
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Life On Mars?

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 60 Ziggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond reputeZiggy Stardust has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 210,596,738,084,839.31
Total Points: 210,596,738,126,650.81
for you homie, - Tha_Greatest For 'always' making me lol - mickey malone Thanks for the thumbs up! - Holtol BURR! Until I can get you some green... - Bloody$Nate$ U called it -  Classic Klitchko Snoozer! - The Surgeon 

Quote:
is there any footage of him against pender or gavilan??
I've seen footage of the first Pender fight. I haven't run across any of the Gavilan fight yet. TheGreatA is the best source for this stuff though: If anyone has it he does.

Poet
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Eric Holder
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Eric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,227,066.31
Total Points: 200,002,526,379.59
Long overdue, my nigg - mangler jr CabronSnatcher - Ch@mpBox@PR Sr. one of boxingscene's best - Tunney! 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Jack D Ripper 

I haven't found any footage of Robinson's fight with Gavilan but from what I've read it was very close and competitive. That must've been a great fight to watch.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:44 PM
mickey malone
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 17 mickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond reputemickey malone has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 3,134,726,151.98
Total Points: 3,145,008,720.24
1000 posts right around the bend...congrats! - JAB5239 For bringing up Schmeling's classy actions! - poet682006 Nothing But Respect For You Mate - 0Rooster4Life0 To a fellow boxing historian - Stoppage For fighting the Wanker Snopkins - HaglerSteelChin 
Well deserved. - Barnburner you need this for floyd - Weltschmerz kick this old butt hurt faqqot - Weltschmerz 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poet682006 View Post
Have to disagree with you there: The afore mentioned Kid Gavilan (whom Robinson beat) was as slick and crafty as they come.

Poet
My appologies for overlooking that (there's always something you'll miss)
I tended to overlook his WW achievements, as opposed to what he accomplished at MW & L/HW...
Although patchy, Gavilan WAS a slickster.... That's probably why Robinson had his work cut out... So have I, with non sufferers like your goodself..lol... Regards MM
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Obama
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 120 Obama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond reputeObama has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 78,202,688,712,025.19
Total Points: 78,202,692,740,963.66
Thanks for the vids brother - bearman3000 Thanks bro for all the uploads! - Team Vitaminas another medal in your honour - BritishBoxing92 God sent! - bearman3000 Thanks for all the links man. - Rip Chudd 
Thanks for all the fights, bro. - T-97 for all your fights and all your work - luki29 For all your hard work in the video block. - -Jay- you are a fukkin fast mothafukker, lol, thanks - Tha_Greatest I dont have to much points, and u dont have thaat much compared to others so i imagina the emoney doesnt care, txs for the uploads man - kennylimon 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks The Video Trading Block's knight in shining armour... or shining headgear, anyway. :D - PittyPat A man amongst men. Thanks for all the uploads - chav thanks for the fights you have helped my collection get better... - joe strong God bless ya Obama - Mighty_Windir 
Can't thank you enough for all the fights you provide. - ROSS CALIFORNIA Man i really really apreciate your work, i know points are nothing to you but take this wine jaja - kennylimon Cause you the man - Mighty_Windir the Man - A-Wolf For closing out 2013 in killer style, much like Superman Stevenson himself. - PittyPat 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BritishBoxing92 Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - FkDaHtrs AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FkDaHtrs Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ROSS CALIFORNIA 

Fritzie Zivic vs Sammy Angott:

Fritzie Zivic vs Freddie Cochrane:

Zivic is the taller guy in both fights. Robinson beat Zivic twice, also Angott 3 times.

Last edited by Obama; 06-21-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:04 PM
warp1432
the mailman

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Rep Power: 58 warp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 58,950,518,115,150,728.00
Total Points: 58,950,623,926,117,560.00
5k post celebration. - !! AI-Holmes!! Have a drink on me! - RiZOOM you're killing me in the cotto thread , kid. i'm trying to get 2-1/3-1 odds from a pissed off cotto fan. :-) - Left Hook Tua Always droppin knowledge. Thanks for the vid bro, I owe ya. - Spiegelo No Message - texanballer 
thanks for the support - texanballer For being a stand up guy. You rule. - FRKO Defo in need of an apple warp - danc1984 RBRs when I'm at work are much appreciated - DWiens421 10k posts and for being a good poster - Golden Boy 360 
10k posts warp. Let's celebrate this shit. - danc1984 Marry me, ese. - El Gallo Homo! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua 
Send a message via AIM to warp1432

value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tr0TohuFsRs&hl=en&fs=1&">

He was past his prime here.

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxers., robinson

User Tag List