Reasons why boxing is unfortunately not so popular in the U.S. - Boxing Forum
Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM #1
The Illinois Enema Bandit

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
sweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond reputesweetpea87 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,616,015,009.00
i know its early but here's to a GREAT month of boxing and football to look forward to,august just dragged for me!!! - the mesiah Thanks mate! This one's one now! - Tamis! Thnx for the shout out on face lounge posters!! U saved the best for last! - the mesiah Happy holidays bro! - led* Happy holidays bro! - led* 
Happy Holidays sweetpea87 - !! AI-Holmes!! Couldn't green k ya, HAPPY NEW YEAR ! - the mesiah For the Man! - jazluvr HAIL SWEETPEA87!! - the mesiah To the search for an electronic set!! - the mesiah 
Good man - jazluvr to us having a beer together.. - the mesiah No Message - QuebecSTAR2 Happy Holidays, buddy! - jazluvr THNX for the green! Nth - the mesiah 
Here's to the 2014 bracket! - the mesiah thanks for the prompt payment - -jose- Punk rock tried to kill the metal, but they failed as they were smited to the ground. - ▀ringer Enjoy the fight! - jazluvr Merry Christmas sweetpea87 - TBear 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Gully Gad Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - TBear AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - TBear Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - jazluvr 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - jazluvr Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - jazluvr Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr 
Default Reasons why boxing is unfortunately not so popular in the U.S.

First of all I want to say that boxing is the 1 and only sport I watch and I study everything about it. It really sucks to see that today boxing isnt even a fraction of as popular in the mainstream as it used to be. Here are some reasons I think its not as popular here in America.

1. The Heavyweight division has not been good since the 90's. The heavyweight division has always been the biggest draw in boxing and now with the division having almost nobody and all the champs being from Europe really hurts it I beleive.

2. No more boxing on free TV. They have the Friday Night fights on ESPN but those are usually up and comers or past their prime fighters, there are no championship bouts or even big names that fight on regular TV. You must have HBO or Showtime which both cost more money on the bill so most people dont have them.

3. Not many American champions or top fighters anymore. This means nothing to me, I dont care where they come from as long as they are good and entertaining I will support them. But to the general public and with a sport like boxing that is such a country pride sport, with most of the top guys being from foregin I think that might hurt it a little.

4.The last thing I think is because of all the WBA,WBC,IBF,WBO champions. There are too many belts and champions and too much politics and its very hard to understand if you arent a devoted fan. Now there are so many pointless belts that seem to come up more every year. I think there should be only 1 champion in the division and I think that since there can techincally be 4 or even 5 now that can be called champions of the division really hurts it more than it helps it.

I am super disappointed that boxing is not very popluar here anymore, I only have 1 friend that likes boxing, eveyone else doesn't know what the hell I am talking about when I bring up the sport. I have wondered what the deal is today and after some thought this is what I came up with. Hopefully it changes, but regardless of how popular it is, I will always be watching it.
sweetpea87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond reputeFistoftheDallasStar has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 37,108.20
thanks for the link! - chiguy91 
Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Mr._Pink 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea87 View Post
First of all I want to say that boxing is the 1 and only sport I watch and I study everything about it. It really sucks to see that today boxing isnt even a fraction of as popular in the mainstream as it used to be. Here are some reasons I think its not as popular here in America.

1. The Heavyweight division has not been good since the 90's. The heavyweight division has always been the biggest draw in boxing and now with the division having almost nobody and all the champs being from Europe really hurts it I beleive.

2. No more boxing on free TV. They have the Friday Night fights on ESPN but those are usually up and comers or past their prime fighters, there are no championship bouts or even big names that fight on regular TV. You must have HBO or Showtime which both cost more money on the bill so most people dont have them.

3. Not many American champions or top fighters anymore. This means nothing to me, I dont care where they come from as long as they are good and entertaining I will support them. But to the general public and with a sport like boxing that is such a country pride sport, with most of the top guys being from foregin I think that might hurt it a little.

4.The last thing I think is because of all the WBA,WBC,IBF,WBO champions. There are too many belts and champions and too much politics and its very hard to understand if you arent a devoted fan. Now there are so many pointless belts that seem to come up more every year. I think there should be only 1 champion in the division and I think that since there can techincally be 4 or even 5 now that can be called champions of the division really hurts it more than it helps it.

I am super disappointed that boxing is not very popluar here anymore, I only have 1 friend that likes boxing, eveyone else doesn't know what the hell I am talking about when I bring up the sport. I have wondered what the deal is today and after some thought this is what I came up with. Hopefully it changes, but regardless of how popular it is, I will always be watching it.
I know exactly what you mean.. It's sad. There are not enough real boxing fans. There are plenty of guys that like one or two fighters and don't know anything else about other fighters. Too many people are on MMA's nuts right now, too. MMA is officially mainstream. Boxing is looked at as the "old man" sport by younger guys. But whats funny to me is how many top MMA fighters use boxing strategy's to win the majority of there fights.
FistoftheDallasStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM #3
Banned

baracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond reputebaracuda has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,882.18
Total Points: 10,172,109.12
Be Joyful - Gift Giver beer aro ta long weekend :beerchug: - peyk-peyk tagay mo lamet aro :beerchug: - peyk-peyk parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - irrashai19 

i agree 100% ts...good read too..
baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:04 PM #4
Sex Tape Flop Artist

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
MANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond reputeMANGLER has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 31,066,523,208,516.37
Total Points: 35,066,523,234,028.41
Happy new year! - Toney Loc have some brew - arraamis Have a TV - eddie_monster here's something different. - chiguy91 Top man - komodo 
Simply Super! - arraamis one you don't have - Starof David No Message - Starof David get back on the scene,im fuckin this place up - Mike Tyson77 Thanks bro - komodo 
ran out of green, so here's a gift for that stacey dash background. - chiguy91 for the mang - jazluvr Thanks Mang! Here's one in return - codey Thanks bro. - komodo please return the favor, bro. - RossCA 
No Message - Fire and Fear No Message - FkDaHtrs No Message - FkDaHtrs No Message - FkDaHtrs Happy New Year!! All the best for 2016!! Hope you come back bro!! - Pretty Boy1 
Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Ether Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Ether Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Disposable Arts Autism - project xxx1 Hepatitis C - slevin 
Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - c l e a n e r Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - mathed Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - TBear Head and Neck Cancer - Pretty Boy1 Head and Neck Cancer - Pretty Boy1 
Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - mathed Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - mathed AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Dorian.. Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Ether Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Monkz 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - komodo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - komodo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - komodo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fire and Fear 

All agreeable reasons, but not enuf to 'kill' boxing like some dumbasses suggest. **** MMA. Boxing ain't goin nowhere no matter how many problems it has.
MANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 PM #5
Contender

BK22755 is on a distinguished road
Total Points: 17,469.60

Yea there messing this sport up bad by making us pay all this money for Wack fights.
BK22755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 AM #6
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
mrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond reputemrpain81 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 457,193,401,014,830,336.00
Total Points: 457,194,401,135,183,552.00
great poster - Melly-Mel Thanks for posting the Rd by Rds for the fights I don't get to see and supplying heaps of great info. - danc1984 funny shit! - Tom Flores thanks for posting on the thread - robson24 Consistently funny poster. Thumbs up. - ddangerous 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Sox8055 

Good quality post and I agree.

Also thank you for not bringing up a stupid point like many belive that MMA takes away from Boxing, what people don't realize is that MMA takes away from WWE.
mrpain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 AM #7
-Texan For Life-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Texanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond reputeTexanballer has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 15,115,429,178.51
Total Points: 15,216,779,021.39
don't worry meng.......God exists - Chups Happy 18th Bday - Golden Boy 360 thx for the link doggie! - Sox8055 Thanks for the links, you da man! - Gift Of Gab Lucy  Pinder = The Real Deal! - Chunk 
Cheers to your graduation homey - mangler whenever i'm in texas a what-a-burger is necessary. - Ether Sandwich - ??? No Message - -veteran420- merry christmas!!! - shobox 
Merry Xmas - mangler Happy Birthday!! - Raider Monkz good poster - Old Coward war mexico - El Mustang Chicharito!!! - -Jack- 
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier for pure awsomeness - dj emz Feliz Navidad - El Mustang Happy New Year - Freedom. Happy birfday - Sweet Pea 50 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Pico Hollywood World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Jim Jeffries Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - ABOSWORTH Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - ??? AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - Merseyside 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - The Hacker Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - fadan80 Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - S a m u r a i World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - USA_Pugilist Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ether 
AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - -veteran420- Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - -veteran420- 
Send a message via AIM to Texanballer Send a message via MSN to Texanballer

We need more black and white champions imo.
Texanballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 AM #8
Banned

Eric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,227,066.31
Total Points: 200,002,533,125.59
Long overdue, my nigg - mangler jr CabronSnatcher - Ch@mpBox@PR Sr. one of boxingscene's best - Tunney! 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Jack D Ripper 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanballer View Post
We need more black and white champions imo.
yeah, I think boxing in the u.s would benefit greatly, popularity wise if there was an elite white american boxer. Pavlik still has a chance but a lot of people abandoned him after he lost to Bernard
Eric Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:51 AM #9
Undisputed Champion

The_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Visitation has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 276,330.67
Total Points: 302,033.63

I agree with everything except '3'. Which I suppose is true in the context of US boxing, even so, but IMHO is more than beneficial enough to world boxing to make up for it. An American HW champion is needed, though, to raise the profile of the sport in the US again.

Of them all, I think PPV is actually the worst offender; it generates a lot of money short term but there is a long term price to pay. I remember when I was a kid, if you asked anyone (or anyone with any sort of interest in sport) if they had seen the 'big fight' on TV they would know who you were talking about, even if they hadn't watched. Today that isn't true, and if the parents don't watch, their kids won't watch and develop an interest. Then, where do the next generation of PPV buyers come from?
The_Visitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 AM #10
Banned

Little Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these partsLittle Killer is infamous around these parts
Total Points: 93,694.77

No one wants to become boxers. It's high risk and low reward. You look at the boxing greats, most have turned out bad. Louis Robinson Tyson Holyfeild Ali and so on. When kids see this they are turned off. Now compare to NBA or NFL. You got guys like Jordan who is retired yet is still cashing it in. Then you got guys like Lebron Kobe Howard and so on. They are getting paid million for playing a sport without risking their lives.

Also people would rather follow a team sport than a individual sport.

Boxing is falling off big time around the USA.
Little Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxing, popular, reasons, u.s.

User Tag List