Why don't we see the Joe Frazier style anymore? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
▀ringer
F*ck Subtlety

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Rep Power: 382 ▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10,707,065,073,583,822,848.00
Total Points: 10,707,065,073,583,884,288.00
man of steel! - TBear man of steel! - TBear thumbs up - TBear The_Bringer - TBear mas - TBear 
mas - TBear The_Man - TBear superman'd - TBear No Message - Fresno I so wnted to send you karma for a post you made, that I just read. I can't though, so this is the next best thing :lol1: - Bossy 
i see you are mad at me, lol, be calm, be cool, i am not your enemy, lol, your a guy who thinks too much, lol, take care my good pal - Tha_Greatest please rate my avy bro - MANIAC310 Thanks brother - Strictly_UG I'm just a 35 year old hanging out here for some laughs and I must say I've never laughed so hard at those the basically roast you did especially MEAT's much respect on your EXECUTION skills - jose830 You the man. - Fistic 
Happy Holidays ▀ringer - TBear miss you, mike...hope all is well - -MAKAVELLI- Merry Christmas!... - MDPopescu You speak the truth - doubletake Keep enlightening the dark ones - siablo14 
Head and Neck Cancer - mangler Childhood Cancer - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - street bully 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - street bully Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - street bully Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - street bully World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Jim Jeffries Childhood Cancer - Grand Champ 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - mangler Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER 
Head and Neck Cancer - MANGLER Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - MANGLER Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Scott.Weiland 
Default Why don't we see the Joe Frazier style anymore?

Mike Tyson was the last guy I can think of who employed a style similar to Joe Fraziers ; with the constant bobing and weaving, consistent head movement, and undying motivation to break you down.

So how come we don't see that style anymore?

I've discussed it briefly in the past with various users, one of whom is currently an Amateur who employs the style (Corey, or Versatile2K9 on here.).

Most people have told me that it's very hard on your back, and it's likely that the physical demands of the style are too great for most people to commit to it fully.

I can see that being the case. But I was wondering what ye of the History section thought about the style in general, and why it's no longer in use.

Personally, it's one of my favorite styles. Old school pressure fighting is one of my boxing drugs of choice, that and slick defensive fighting.

But overall I think the style was very underrated, I imagine it's physically taxing to fight like that for 6 rounds, let alone 12 or 15. The head movement doesn't get nearly enough credit for slipping punches IMO, and some people have even mocked Frazier's style. As if it takes no skill to execute.

I'm of the firm opinion that Frazier's style was one of, if not the hardest styles to be successful with ; due to it's obvious physical demands, and the way that you're constantly ducking downward, and then having to come back up with counters. I can't imagine it's easy to duck and weave that way, and then come back with a counter that lands.

I imagine your head would be looking downward, and you would be unaware of your opponet's position. Therefore you'd likely have to see where your opponet was, duck his punch(es), and then estimate his whereabouts for your counter to be most effective.

Anyway, share your thoughts.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 05-27-2009, 05:40 PM
RightCross94
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0 RightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these partsRightCross94 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.78
Total Points: 107,681.51
Quality poster - JAB5239 For The Little Gay Loser - Carnivore 
Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 Gay and Lesbian Pride - JM1 

it doesnt really work in the amateurs, and it takes a lot out of you to pull it off, you need to be really short for your div to pull it off also
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM
portuge puncher
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 portuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond reputeportuge puncher has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 62,879.23

you dont really need it if your tall,
and you still get hit ALOT with that style.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Eric Holder
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Eric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,227,066.31
Total Points: 200,002,526,322.59
Long overdue, my nigg - mangler jr CabronSnatcher - Ch@mpBox@PR Sr. one of boxingscene's best - Tunney! 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Jack D Ripper 

it's a really hard style to use

I try it from time to time when I spar guys that are much bigger than me, and when I'm done sparring my legs and back are sore for days
Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 PM
▀ringer
F*ck Subtlety

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Rep Power: 382 ▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute▀ringer has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 10,707,065,073,583,822,848.00
Total Points: 10,707,065,073,583,884,288.00
man of steel! - TBear man of steel! - TBear thumbs up - TBear The_Bringer - TBear mas - TBear 
mas - TBear The_Man - TBear superman'd - TBear No Message - Fresno I so wnted to send you karma for a post you made, that I just read. I can't though, so this is the next best thing :lol1: - Bossy 
i see you are mad at me, lol, be calm, be cool, i am not your enemy, lol, your a guy who thinks too much, lol, take care my good pal - Tha_Greatest please rate my avy bro - MANIAC310 Thanks brother - Strictly_UG I'm just a 35 year old hanging out here for some laughs and I must say I've never laughed so hard at those the basically roast you did especially MEAT's much respect on your EXECUTION skills - jose830 You the man. - Fistic 
Happy Holidays ▀ringer - TBear miss you, mike...hope all is well - -MAKAVELLI- Merry Christmas!... - MDPopescu You speak the truth - doubletake Keep enlightening the dark ones - siablo14 
Head and Neck Cancer - mangler Childhood Cancer - mangler AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - mangler Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - mangler Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - street bully 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - street bully Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - street bully Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - street bully World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Jim Jeffries Childhood Cancer - Grand Champ 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - mangler Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - mangler Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MANGLER 
Head and Neck Cancer - MANGLER Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - MANGLER Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Scott.Weiland 

Quote:
Originally Posted by portuge puncher View Post
you dont really need it if your tall,
and you still get hit ALOT with that style.
True, but I think you're also underrating it's defensive abilities a little bit.

In his prime, yeah, Frazier took some shots with that style. But he was also able to slip and evade as many punches as he took with his head and body movement alone.

Being a face-forward brawler will get you punished much more than Joe's style. Examples : Arturo Gatti, Ricky Hatton, and Michael Katsidis.

Quote:
it's a really hard style to use

I try it from time to time when I spar guys that are much bigger than me, and when I'm done sparring my legs and back are sore for days
Interesting to hear some firsthand experience from a fighter who's used it.

I got a few quick questions for you, if you don't mind.

1.) Did you find it difficult to counter your opponet with the constant bending and head movement?

2.) Out of your legs and back, which would you say the style "taxed" more?

3.) Did you find yourself more easily, or less easily hit when using it?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 PM
MonsieurGeorges
The Orchid Man

Rep Power: 11 MonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond reputeMonsieurGeorges has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,247,469.82
Total Points: 16,338,282.67

it's sloppy. That's how the guy wanted to fight and he was successful but i'll be damned if another Joe Frazier kind of guy wins a gold medal anytime soon
Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
talip bin osman
spider jerusalem!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rep Power: 30 talip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond reputetalip bin osman has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,071,151,276,834.08
great poster - MaD vEiN prolific poster - Jerub_Baal thank you talip merry christmas - the collector Happy holidays bro! - led* Season's Greetings - Freedom. 
Welcome to the ranks - Terrel 

a prime carlos hernandez employed the same style... (correct me if im wrong man...)

its a dying style so to speak...
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Eric Holder
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Eric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond reputeEric Holder has a reputation beyond repute
Long overdue, my nigg - mangler jr CabronSnatcher - Ch@mpBox@PR Sr. one of boxingscene's best - Tunney! 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Jack D Ripper 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bringer View Post
True, but I think you're also underrating it's defensive abilities a little bit.

In his prime, yeah, Frazier took some shots with that style. But he was also able to slip and evade as many punches as he took with his head and body movement alone.

Being a face-forward brawler will get you punished much more than Joe's style. Examples : Arturo Gatti, Ricky Hatton, and Michael Katsidis.

Interesting to hear some firsthand experience from a fighter who's used it.

I got a few quick questions for you, if you don't mind.

1.) Did you find it difficult to counter your opponet with the constant bending and head movement?

2.) Out of your legs and back, which would you say the style "taxed" more?

3.) Did you find yourself more easily, or less easily hit when using it?

1.) I didn't feel as comfortable countering in this style, but I'm still working on it. I think eventually, I might be able to use the momentum and leverage from bobbing and weaving to throw harder and better counters. but right now it's still really difficult for me.

2.) My legs were more sore, it felt like I did 1000 squats when I was done sparring. It's a really tiring style to use though, because of the constant motion; I'm in awe of how Joe Frazier was able to do it.

3.) I felt more elusive because I was always moving and squating low; when I got hit it wasn't as cleanly as when I stand in my traditional stance.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Eric Holder
Banned

Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM
res
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rep Power: 24 res has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond reputeres has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 107,842,137.11
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo To the 80's cartoons. - WTFBALLZ 

Well Tyson and Frazier didn't exactly have the same kind of style all though continual bobbing and weaving are used in both styles. Tyson's style was more like Floyd Patterson's and was less stressful than Frazier's style. Using the bobbing/weaving style as a pure brawler like Frazier takes ridiculously hard work and I don't think we are likely to see any more of that in Boxing. However there is a chance that we may see more Boxers within the Peekabo/Tyson-Patterson mold who use their Bobbing and weaving more intentionally, and who land while closing in instead of just staying in the pocket indefinitely and wailing away..

Last edited by res; 05-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Share This With Friends

Tags
anymore?, don't, frazier, style

User Tag List