Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Record Comparison - Morales/Chavez (14 yrs)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Comparison - Morales/Chavez (14 yrs)

Julio Cesar Chavez against Erik Morales. I'm taking 14 years of their career since that covers Morales' entire professional run. Chavez, as we know, fought as a pro for a much longer period of time. This period will more or less capture early moments in both mens careers, their absolute best and some decline.

Morales had a 14 year career which saw him participate in 54 total fights. He finished with 48 wins (34KO), 6 losses, and 0 fights drawn. Morales campaigned at 122, 126, 130 and 135 (briefly). Some of his best accomplishments:

-WBC/WBO Super Bantamweight champion (8 defenses of WBC title)
    -Two-time WBC Featherweight champion (4 defenses of WBC title)
    -WBC Super Featherweight champion (1 defense of WBC title)
    -Defeated one fighter currently enshrined in the IBHOF (D. Zaragoza) and two others who will be there soon enough (M.A. Barrera, M. Pacquiao)
    -Defeated other notable fighters like Hector Acero-Sanchez, Jose Luis Bueno, Junior Jones, Wayne McCullough, Kevin Kelley, Paulie Ayala, Guty Espadas Jr., In Jin Chi, Jesus Chavez, and Carlos Hernandez.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Julio Cesar Chavez fought 64 times from 1984 to 1998. This period covers his win over Ramon Avita (4 months before his first title win) to his second loss to Oscar De La Hoya in 1998. He had the 64 total fights and finished with 59 wins, 3 defeats and 2 fights drawn. During this time he campaigned at 130, 135, 140 and 147. Some of his best accomplishments:

-WBC Super Featherweight champion (9 defenses of WBC title)
    -WBA/WBC Lightweight champion (2 defenses of WBA title)
    -Two-time WBC/One-time IBF Junior Welterweight champion (16 defenses of WBC title/2 defenses of IBF title)
    -Defeated one fighter currently enshrined in the IBHOF (E. Rosario)
    -Defeated other notable opponents like Mario Martinez, Roger Mayweather, Juan LaPorte, Bazooka Limon, Jose Luis Ramirez, Meldrick Taylor, Hector Camacho, Greg Haugen, Frankie Randall, Giovanni Parisi and Tony Lopez.

------------------------------------------------------------

A little comparison between my favorite Mexican fighter of all-time (Morales) and my second favorite (Chavez). It goes to show how long and stellar Chavez' career was. the man fought so many championship rounds. It also goes to show that Morales accomplished a lot in a very short time. His 14 year career was packed with many peaks (and valleys at the very end). Sorry if any of the info is off. I did my best to give balanced, accurate takes for both careers.

Where is Chava among your mexican favorites????? That is the question that bugs me the most.

Is there a question in the thread. I think you are spot on in your final summarizing observation that JC fought so many champ fights and rounds, and that Erik was a short explosions

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
      Where is Chava among your mexican favorites????? That is the question that bugs me the most.

Is there a question in the thread. I think you are spot on in your final summarizing observation that JC fought so many champ fights and rounds, and that Erik was a short explosions
      Julio is my second favorite all-time. I followed pretty much all of Erik's career at the top (late 90's on) and missed a great deal of JCC's. He was a bit before my time (I'm 24).

I was reading some stuff regarding the great Mexican born fighters throughout history, then I recalled my own two favorites, then I recalled how so many people still give Chavez **** about his record. So I compared it to the guy I believe to be the greatest Mexican champion of the last 10-15 years.

I suppose there really isn't much of a question here...I guess I was just making that connection I mentioned above because I had some time to kill earlier.

Comment

Working...
      X