No announcement yet.

Bad Strategies that actually won the fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Strategies that actually won the fights

What are some boxers who came into the fight with a bad or wrong strategy and still ended up winning the fight.

I know some will say "how can it be a bad strategy if they won". That's true, it ended up being a good strategy, but I'm talking perception.

For instance, no one thought it would be a good strategy for Corrales to fight on the inside all night against Jose Luis Castillo. But he did. It was suicide for Ali to lay on the ropes against Foreman, and he did it. But they both won.

Any examples you can think of?

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
    What are some boxers who came into the fight with a bad or wrong strategy and still ended up winning the fight.

I know some will say "how can it be a bad strategy if they won". That's true, it ended up being a good strategy, but I'm talking perception.

For instance, no one thought it would be a good strategy for Corrales to fight on the inside all night against Jose Luis Castillo. But he did. It was suicide for Ali to lay on the ropes against Foreman, and he did it. But they both won.

Any examples you can think of?
    Holyfield fighting dirty against Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
      Holyfield fighting dirty against Tyson
      Very true.

Comment

Perhaps any early George Foreman fight. Not thinking of any defense but just clubbing away at your opponents behind a hard left jab. It worked for him. And only for him.

Comment

Michael Moorer fighting off the ropes against Bert Cooper. Cooper had him knocked down two times but Moorer eventually won the fight.

Comment

Manny Pac trying to outbox Marquez in their 2nd bout? I think if he resorted to his old technique which was to just slug with Marquez then he could have KOed him..it was, i think, on the 6th round where Marquez was willing to engaged but Pac just was tentative to just launch his bombs...

Comment

Chico trading with Castillo the first fight, he barely won it too.

Comment

the rope-a dope.ali beating foreman

Comment

how about margo blocking punches w/ his face and winning

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                    Michael Moorer fighting off the ropes against Bert Cooper. Cooper had him knocked down two times but Moorer eventually won the fight.
                    One of the most entertaining heavyweight fights of all time. To me anyway. I LIKE!!

Comment

Working...
                    X