Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing
Reply
Thread Navigation

#1
Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
dans
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 6,944
Rep Power: 24 dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 51,429,600.45
Bank: 6,580,970.88
Total Points: 58,010,571.33
Couldnt give Karma, credit where credits due :) - GreatJoe  Its mental monday on NSB! - mr.crust  first past the post.2k posts - mr.crust  for a super poster and NSB member! - jazluvr449  Its never too early for a cold one - Kevin Jesus 
Hey, here's a drink. - Libido Sanchez 
Default I'm nothing but a selfish fight fan

I have followed boxing since my early teens, and there is one thing I have learned, I am a selfish fight fan. I want blood, I want guts, I want Gatti-Ward, I want Castillo-Corrales, I want Hagler Hearns, I want war.

It's not that I hate technical fights or technical fighters, but I always would rather a brawl then a pugilistic chess match. It's just me being a selfish fight fan, as so many of us are. But what is ironic about fight fans is that even though we are in fact selfish ourselves, we expect the exact opposite from fighters. We criticize guys like Lennox Lewis, who hated brawling. We rip apart the resumes of guys like Joe Calzaghe. We hate on guys like Floyd Mayweather for leaving on his own terms. None of this is fair, but can you blame us? Boxing fans like everyone else are in it for entertainment over everything else, so it is to be expected that we are selfish.

My favorite fighter of all time is Erik Morales. Morales was one of the rare fighters in history that arguably was not selfish at all. Yes he wanted money and accolades, but as a fighter in the ring he was as far from selfish as one could be. Often throwing technical advantages out the window for excitement and drama instead, Morales was the definition of a fan's fighter. However, in the end Morales didn't need to brawl as much as he did and he will be the one to pay the price, not us. He will be the one that in twenty years will have to explain why he lost all those fights at the end of his career. While Mayweather and Calzaghe will sit pretty with their "0" still in place and their bodies and minds unharmed.

But even though Mayweather and Calzaghe have the undefeated distinction, we as fight fans are not satisfied. Both men have fought long and hard to deserve their retirement, and they do, but it is still not enough. We want Floyd to beat elite welterweights. We want Calzaghe to rematch Hopkins and take on Chad Dawson. We want all this, meanwhile Calzaghe and Floyd could care less. As far as they are concerned they have proved everything and don't owe us anything. Why? They are being as selfish as we are. Neither one of them wants to lose their "0" and neither one feels the need to fight but we as fight fans want nothing more.

We want all of our fighters to push themselves to the limits and give us what we want in the ring. It is our love of the sport and our love for excitement that drives this feeling, so we shouldn't feel bad about it. We should, however, be understanding to the fighters that share our selfish motives. We should understand and except those technical fighters and those whose career decisions are selfish in nature. After all, being selfish is what gets many of them so far. If Floyd Mayweather wanted to please fans, he wouldn't box circles around his opponents, he would brawl them like Morales. If Calzaghe wanted to please fans, he would've come to America a long time ago. But they didn't, and we are still shouting for them to do just that.

Our selfishness as fight fans is not fair, and in fact it's down right hypocritical. We want selfless fighters when we in fact are the most selfish bunch of them all. So we should all remember this when commenting on different fighters and criticizing career decisions. Because after all, it's their careers not ours.

However, I for one will not change. I will always be a selfish fight fan. That's the way I like it. Give me blood, give me guts, give me Gatti-Ward.

Give me Erik Morales.

Last edited by dans01234; 03-16-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
dans is offline
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
#2
Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Queen_Leia
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,542
Rep Power: 0 Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts
Points: 441,370.76
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 441,370.76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans01234 View Post
I have followed boxing since my early teens, and there is one thing I have learned, I am a selfish fight fan. I want blood, I want guts, I want Gatti-Ward, I want Castillo-Corrales, I want Hagler Hearns, I want war.

It's not that I hate technical fights or technical fighters, but I always would rather a brawl then a pugilistic chess match. It's just me being a selfish fight fan, as so many of us are. But what is ironic about fight fans is that even though we are in fact selfish ourselves, we expect the exact opposite from fighters. We criticize guys like Lennox Lewis, who hated brawling. We rip apart the resumes of guys like Joe Calzaghe. We hate on guys like Floyd Mayweather for leaving on his own terms. None of this is fair, but can you blame us? Boxing fans like everyone else are in it for entertainment over everything else, so it is to be expected that we are selfish.

My favorite fighter of all time is Erik Morales. Morales was one of the rare fighters in history that arguably was not selfish at all. Yes he wanted money and accolades, but as a fighter in the ring he was as far from selfish as one could be. Often throwing technical advantages out the window for excitement and drama instead, Morales was the definition of a fan's fighter. However, in the end Morales didn't need to brawl as much as he did and he will be the one to pay the price, not us. He will be the one that in twenty years will have to explain why he lost all those fights at the end of his career. While Mayweather and Calzaghe will sit pretty with their "0" still in place and their bodies and minds unharmed.

But even though Mayweather and Calzaghe have the undefeated distinction, we as fight fans are not satisfied. Both men have fought long and hard to deserve their retirement, and they do, but it is still not enough. We want Floyd to beat elite welterweights. We want Calzaghe to rematch Hopkins and take on Chad Dawson. We want all this, meanwhile Calzaghe and Floyd could care less. As far as they are concerned they have proved everything and don't owe us anything. Why? They are being as selfish as we are. Neither one of them wants to lose their "0" and neither one feels the need to fight but we as fight fans want nothing more.

We want all of our fighters to push themselves to the limits and give us what we want in the ring. It is our love of the sport and our love for excitement that drives this feeling, so we shouldn't feel bad about it. We should, however, be understanding to the fighters that share our selfish motives. We should understand and except those technical fighters and those whose career decisions are selfish in nature. After all, being selfish is what gets many of them so far. If Floyd Mayweather wanted to please fans, he wouldn't box circles around his opponents, he would brawl them like Morales. If Calzaghe wanted to please fans, he would've come to America a long time ago. But they didn't, and we are still shouting for them to do just that.

Our selfishness as fight fans is not fair, and in fact it's down right hypocritical. We want selfless fighters when we in fact are the most selfish bunch of them all. So we should all remember this when commenting on different fighters and criticizing career decisions. Because after all, it's their careers not ours.

However, I for one will not change. I will always be a selfish fight fan. That's the way I like it. Give me blood, give me guts, give me Gatti-Ward.

Give me Erik Morales.
The guy in your avatar is not a brawler, so STFU you hypocrite!!!
Reply With Quote
Queen_Leia is offline
#3
Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
dans
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 29
Posts: 6,944
Rep Power: 24 dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute dans has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 51,429,600.45
Bank: 6,580,970.88
Total Points: 58,010,571.33
Couldnt give Karma, credit where credits due :) - GreatJoe  Its mental monday on NSB! - mr.crust  first past the post.2k posts - mr.crust  for a super poster and NSB member! - jazluvr449  Its never too early for a cold one - Kevin Jesus 
Hey, here's a drink. - Libido Sanchez 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Leia View Post
The guy in your avatar is not a brawler, so STFU you hypocrite!!!
It's not spefically about brawlers. I also never said I had anything against technical fighers.

There's this lovely skill called reading, I suggest you learn how to do it.
Reply With Quote
dans is offline
#4
Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
-EX-
Trading Block Tycoon
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bright Lights Bigger City, New York
Age: 25
Posts: 22,368
Rep Power: 58 -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute -EX- has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 54,090,958,055.22
Bank: 12,724,248,353,645.20
Total Points: 12,778,339,311,700.42
Thx man, i'm out of k for you but this will do, points will follow! - Tu Pai  Earned yourself a nice cold one. Always comin thru in the clutch haha thanks homey - Natedatpkid  King of Trading Block! - Tu Pai  for the man of the downloads thread.... - BritishBoxing92  Upload Lord! - The Surgeon 
you really are the king of the trading block! - Tha Executioner  Thanks a ton for always providing the links! - chiguy91  thanks once again bro! - chiguy91  King of the Trading Block - Toney Loc  For the Movies - garryx2013 
No Message - EdMon917  No Message - EdMon917  Thanks for the uploads bro! - komodo  couldn't green you atm, thanks again. - chiguy91  thnx for upload - Teddy Brenner 
For all your contributions to the trading block. You are a fucking legend! - Smelly Panda  All hail to the King! - Smelly Panda  thanks for the Soto Karass-Berto video - Freedom2013  Thanks for the HD Videos - Ragnarok  Long live a king of the Trading Block. - PittyPat 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - deliveryman  Childhood Cancer - hishaam15  Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - -Ash-  Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - garryx2013  Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - komodo 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - chiguy91  Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - chiguy91 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Leia View Post
The guy in your avatar is not a brawler, so STFU you hypocrite!!!
Well ur avatar is screaming homo...





























Not that there's anything wrong with that
Reply With Quote
-EX- is offline
#5
Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Roger Mellie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southampton.uk
Posts: 6,287
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 0 Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 53,761.05
Bank: 317,106.65
Total Points: 370,867.70
For agreeing about Margarito - Massage Queen  My Round Champ - The Surgeon  have an egg - Savino  Happy belated birthday champ - The Surgeon  Cheers! - poet682006 
5000 posts! - shobox  for those late night fights - jazluvr449  No Message - peyk-peyk  for you bud - Talisayen  you are in love with me - Carnivore 
hey homie - markbnlv 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - mangler 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Leia View Post
The guy in your avatar is not a brawler, so STFU you hypocrite!!!
Its a bit weird that you would want to see a Calzaghe rematch with snorehard who was a painful fighter to watch.I hoped he would fight Dawson as I think it would have been a really entertaining fight,as for floyd,he fought a lot of fighters he could have easily had wars with,but used his technical skill to win,and I know what you mean because whilst appreciating the artistry involved,as a fan I want to see a tear up.I miss the heady days of Nigel Benn trying to decapitate his opponents with every shot,plus he could put your lights out with either hand.History will not show Benn as our greatest ever boxer,but for the aforementioned reasons he will probably always be my favourite.
Reply With Quote
Roger Mellie is offline
#6
Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Queen_Leia
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,542
Rep Power: 0 Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts
Points: 441,370.76
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 441,370.76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans01234 View Post
It's not spefically about brawlers. I also never said I had anything against technical fighers.

There's this lovely skill called reading, I suggest you learn how to do it.
That **** was phucking too long to be that important, either get to the point or STFU and let other with more important things to say open up post.

So you like mindless blood lusting fighting instead of a match that requires you to use your boxing IQ...big deal, this is not thread worthy. It's your opinion, Oh and please use spell check and proper punctuation.

Last edited by Queen_Leia; 03-16-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Queen_Leia is offline
#7
Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Roger Mellie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southampton.uk
Posts: 6,287
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 0 Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 53,761.05
Bank: 317,106.65
Total Points: 370,867.70
For agreeing about Margarito - Massage Queen  My Round Champ - The Surgeon  have an egg - Savino  Happy belated birthday champ - The Surgeon  Cheers! - poet682006 
5000 posts! - shobox  for those late night fights - jazluvr449  No Message - peyk-peyk  for you bud - Talisayen  you are in love with me - Carnivore 
hey homie - markbnlv 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - mangler 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.crust View Post
Its a bit weird that you would want to see a Calzaghe rematch with snorehard who was a painful fighter to watch.I hoped he would fight Dawson as I think it would have been a really entertaining fight,as for floyd,he fought a lot of fighters he could have easily had wars with,but used his technical skill to win,and I know what you mean because whilst appreciating the artistry involved,as a fan I want to see a tear up.I miss the heady days of Nigel Benn trying to decapitate his opponents with every shot,plus he could put your lights out with either hand.History will not show Benn as our greatest ever boxer,but for the aforementioned reasons he will probably always be my favourite.
Doh! replied to the wrong message.sorry dans.
Reply With Quote
Roger Mellie is offline
#8
Old 03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Roger Mellie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southampton.uk
Posts: 6,287
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 0 Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 53,761.05
Bank: 317,106.65
Total Points: 370,867.70
For agreeing about Margarito - Massage Queen  My Round Champ - The Surgeon  have an egg - Savino  Happy belated birthday champ - The Surgeon  Cheers! - poet682006 
5000 posts! - shobox  for those late night fights - jazluvr449  No Message - peyk-peyk  for you bud - Talisayen  you are in love with me - Carnivore 
hey homie - markbnlv 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - mangler 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Leia View Post
That **** was phucking too long to be that important, either get to the point or STFU and let other with more important things to say open up post.

So you like mindless blood lusting fighting instead of a match that requires you to use your boxing IQ...big deal, this is not thread worthy. It's your opinion, Oh and please use spell check and proper punctuation.
Please fuqq off and get rid of that homo avatar.
Reply With Quote
Roger Mellie is offline
#9
Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Queen_Leia
Undisputed Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,542
Rep Power: 0 Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts Queen_Leia is infamous around these parts
Points: 441,370.76
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 441,370.76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.crust View Post
Its a bit weird that you would want to see a Calzaghe rematch with snorehard who was a painful fighter to watch.I hoped he would fight Dawson as I think it would have been a really entertaining fight,as for floyd,he fought a lot of fighters he could have easily had wars with,but used his technical skill to win,and I know what you mean because whilst appreciating the artistry involved,as a fan I want to see a tear up.I miss the heady days of Nigel Benn trying to decapitate his opponents with every shot,plus he could put your lights out with either hand.History will not show Benn as our greatest ever boxer,but for the aforementioned reasons he will probably always be my favourite.

Damn dude, have you ever heard of paragraphs and sentence structure? This reads like you just finished kindergarten.
Reply With Quote
Queen_Leia is offline
#10
Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Roger Mellie
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southampton.uk
Posts: 6,287
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 0 Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute Roger Mellie has a reputation beyond repute
Points: 53,761.05
Bank: 317,106.65
Total Points: 370,867.70
For agreeing about Margarito - Massage Queen  My Round Champ - The Surgeon  have an egg - Savino  Happy belated birthday champ - The Surgeon  Cheers! - poet682006 
5000 posts! - shobox  for those late night fights - jazluvr449  No Message - peyk-peyk  for you bud - Talisayen  you are in love with me - Carnivore 
hey homie - markbnlv 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - mangler 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Leia View Post
Damn dude, have you ever heard of paragraphs and sentence structure? This reads like you just finished kindergarten.
Its called laziness,but thanks for setting me str8 teach.
Reply With Quote
Roger Mellie is offline
Reply

Share This With Friends

Tags
fight , selfish

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC All rights reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.