Gym advice - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Thread Navigation

Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Speed6363
Amateur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 7,540.05
Default Gym advice

I'm 22 looking to take up boxing seriously. Not pro, just looking to do some amatuer fighting. My only problem is finding the gym. Actually, I found one I like, trainers cool, alright equipment, but Its like a 45 min - 1 hour drive. However, theres a gym within about 20 miles, but I hear the coach is more concerned with his more developed fighters than training somebody off the street. I'm just wondering is that something common in a lot of gyms, because if I could work through it I don't mind having to earn my spot. I just don't want to be wasting my time with a trainer who'll never take me seriously.

Thanks for any help.

(..lol)
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM
austinlarg
Contender

Rep Power: 8 austinlarg will become famous soon enoughaustinlarg will become famous soon enough
Total Points: 23,779.89

Fight to earn your spot. There's nothing wrong with that. I walked into a gym 2 months ago without knowing anyone and with a trainer who was more concerned with his seasoned fighters. But after he saw how dedicated I was and how hard I worked, now I'm one of the boxers he's more concerned with.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
CMaines
Up and Comer

Total Points: 15,959.90

I agree, I got very little one on one attention when I started going to the gym about 2 months ago. But after the first few weeks of getting my but handed to me with work outs they saw that I was willing to put in the work and still come back. I came back always ready to train, always ready to learn and NEVER said 'I can't" do something. The gym is about 30 minutes from my house. I'm still very new to boxing and definatly not even one of the top 10-15 guys in my gym, but the trainers see that I'm commited and want to learn so they are taking more time with me and really helping out. I've also been doing little things on my off days to improve. But all and all it's been a GREAT experience. I'd say just do it and don't look back, you won't regret it!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Speed6363
Amateur

Total Points: 7,540.05

thanks for the insight. I'm planning to check this gym out first hand sometime this week. This is a whole new sport for me too. This is the first sport I plan on taking up out side of Highschool and College level. I guess trial and error is the only way to get any experience. Thanks

Share This With Friends

Tags
advice

User Tag List